Home

After 31 Years HBO's "Inside The NFL" Airs Final Show

This is a discussion on After 31 Years HBO's "Inside The NFL" Airs Final Show within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: After 31 Years HBO's "Inside The NFL" Airs Final Show

ESPN pretty much killed it. ESPN is built for the attention span of today's young adults while Inside ran on a more traditional format. They actually talked about something for more than 30 seconds.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30

What? Man that sucks.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

Maybe it has something to do with the NFL Network, like "Inside the NFL" losing their access to the NFL Films clips.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
ESPN pretty much killed it. ESPN is built for the attention span of today's young adults while Inside ran on a more traditional format. They actually talked about something for more than 30 seconds.
I'm one of Today's young adults i guess at 26...but i almost made it through david lynch's 'eraserhead' last night, and have watched 'silent running' the whole way. Not everyone's ADD, especially those who hated MTV. What I hate about today's sports shows are that a lot of them are very gimmiky w/ 'the mail box' and other segments that are just soap opera crap, and how about those male reporters that wax their eyebrows.

..completely off topic - but a couple of years ago, one of the major networks when doing an NFL boradcast after a great pass play would break it down and show a trajectory smoke stream that showed you the velocity of the pass, the arc, the time in the air, and the yards it led the reciever, as well as total yards in the air. That was great, but I haven't seen it since.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
They never gave a reason.
Maybe its an attempt to help get the NFL network in every home.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
Maybe it has something to do with the NFL Network, like "Inside the NFL" losing their access to the NFL Films clips.
They still had access to NFL Films stuff so that's not it. I'm sad that this has happened because this was the show of record for over 30 years. I think one thing that has hurt it in recent years is the fact that it's pretaped. A lot of stuff can happen between the day they tape the show and when it airs.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 10

Here's an article explaining:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...ry/478948.html
Quote:
The long run is over for ‘Inside the NFL’
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN

Dawson on the HBO set T he incredible run is over. After 31 years on HBO, “Inside the NFL” wrapped up its final weekly show on the cable channel on Wednesday night.

Len Dawson, who was there at the start in 1978 and remained on “Inside the NFL” for more than two decades, also was flown in by HBO to tape a segment for the final show.

“It’s surprising in a way that it’s the last show on HBO because I thought it was very popular,” Dawson said by phone earlier Wednesday. “They let me know last weekend and asked me to keep the whole thing quiet because not many people knew it was coming to an end. I was shocked at first.

“But then when you think about it, I’m sure it’s just the right business decision (for HBO). When we started, this was really the first weekly show where you could see highlights of the games. But now, by the time the show comes out Wednesday, people have seen all the highlights on NFL Network or ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPN12 or whatever.”

HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said of the show, “It has been a terrific franchise. But the television landscape has changed quite a bit over the last 30 years, and we have to recognize the realities of the business. I’m not sure we had one competitor when the show launched in 1978.”

Now, however, competitors abound, starting with the NFL Network, which is all football, seven days a week.

“The weekly highlights of games, the staple of ‘Inside the NFL,’ will continue through NFL Films,” said Dan Masonson, NFL manager of corporate communications. “And we look forward to finding a new partner, a new outlet this fall.”

Don’t be surprised if that outlet is the NFL Network.

As for Dawson, he has been left to reminisce this week.

“I haven’t been with the show for a while,” he said, “but it’s still a little like when your career comes to an end. You just look back and try to hang on to the memories. It was a big part of my life.”
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelverin
Used to watch it every week when it first aired,
You're really showing your age here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »