Home

Chiefs place franchise tag on DE Allen

This is a discussion on Chiefs place franchise tag on DE Allen within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Posted: 16 minutes ago

NFL.com

The Chiefs have placed its franchise tag on defensive end Jared Allen, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter. The move could keep Allen in Kansas City for one more year, but it will likely be the last one for Allen.

"If I play under the franchise tag, this will be my last year with the Chiefs," Allen told NFL.com at the Pro Bowl. "I would like to be a part of (the team) but there is a business aspect of this, too."

Allen was suspended for the first four games of the 2007 and later had it trimmed to only two games. Allen responded by having one of the best seasons of his career. Allen registered a career-high 15.5 sacks in only 14 games and almost single-handedly won a few games for the Chiefs with his defense, to earn his first Pro Bowl invitation -- the first for a Chiefs defensive player in five years.

The franchise designation will guarantee that Allen is paid $8.88 million next season, the average salary of the five highest-paid defensive ends. Teams can name a player an exclusive franchise tag, committing to a minimum offer of the average of the top five salaries at a player's position, a 20 percent raise from his 2007 salary or the average of the top five salaries at his position -- whichever is highest. That keeps other clubs from talking to the player.
source

Typical off-season drama at 1 Arrowhead Drive. I expect The Mullet to get a long-term deal at some point before the season opener, hopefully in time for training camp.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Chiefs place franchise tag on DE Allen

Aren't pass rushing ends like the hardest position to find? This is a good move.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C
Aren't pass rushing ends like the hardest position to find?
Yep, especially in the 4th round out of Idaho State. Allen is a 25-year old Pro Bowler just entering his prime. Smart teams hold on to a guy like that for at least another 4-5 years.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I believe they did the non-exclusive tag? I.e., a team could offer him a contract and give up two 1sts?

May not be that crazy of an idea for a team who doesn't have a great 1st this year and doesn't plan to next year who also needs an elite pass rushing DE.

Jaguars?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

A team would have to be desperate to give up two 1st for one player. Those are building block picks even if it is late in the 1st round. And with the Jaguars they seem to be more content with drafting situational pass rushers and trying to develop them.

My Video Game Streams
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »