Home

Jets allow Vilma to seek trade to any team...

This is a discussion on Jets allow Vilma to seek trade to any team... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #65
MVP

Porschebenz2001's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Jets allow Vilma to seek trade to any team...

Other Pete Kendall Situation there. Mangini ostracized him and this move had to happen. This really sucks.
NFL: New York Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #66
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Now for the love of God keep David as far away from the field as possible. I don't feel the need they should draft specifically a LB or a DB. Either one would seem like a smart logical move.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Looks like the conditional pick will be either in the 3rd or 4th round depending on performance.

Quote:
Also, the Jonathan Vilma trade is a done deal, according to a source. I’m hearing the Jets will receive a conditional fourth-round pick in ‘09 that can increase to a third-rounder, depending on playing time and performance. Vilma, who has only one year remaining on his contract, did not receive a new deal from the Saints.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #68
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
A dead piece of bone has rested in one of Jonathan Vilma's knees since high school. When it dislodged in October of last season, Vilma was put on injured reserve by the New York Jets and didn't play for them again.

It was the first time in his football career that he had a season-ending injury. Now, four months removed from surgery, Vilma, traded to the New Orleans Saints on Friday for a conditional 2009 fourth-round draft pick, gets a new start and joins a defense he says better fits his skills.

"The Jets were going one direction, and I was going a different direction," Vilma said Friday. "I'm just glad I'm getting back into a 4-3 defense. This is better for both sides."

Vilma, considered a bit undersized at linebacker, didn't fit in as well in the Jets' 3-4 scheme. Unless the nose tackle in a 3-4 occupies two blockers, the middle linebacker in a 3-4 is subject to a steady diet of blocking guards or centers pounding on his body.

The Jets decided to shop him in a trade a couple of weeks ago, with the Lions and the Saints showing the most interest. The Saints worked out a trade Friday morning; the pick in exchange for Vilma could upgrade to a third-rounder depending on how Vilma's season goes.

"What I like about New Orleans is that it is a very stable team," Vilma said. "I think the quarterback position is filled well by Drew Brees. The running game has Deuce McAllister, and Reggie Bush creates a lot of matchup problems for a defense. Marques Colston is a phenomenal receiver. I think offensively, the Saints have all the tools."

The Saints' mission this offseason is to retool their defense, and the acquisition of Vilma is a big part of that. If he's healthy, Vilma is a strong, smart middle linebacker who could set the rest of the defenders in the right position along with making plays from his position.

As for his health, Vilma says he should be fine short-term and long-term. Last season, neither Vilma nor the Jets made any details about his knee injury public.

"The knee is actually doing very well," he said. "I had the surgery in November, so it's about four months since the operation and it's feeling very good. I started jogging two weeks ago and I've been doing leg curls. I'm trying to take it easy."

Vilma passed all the medical tests administered by the Saints before the trade was in place.

"The knee shouldn't be a problem long-term," he said. "I just have to take care of it. There was a dead piece of bone in my knee. In the Cincinnati game, it decided to fall [away]. Unfortunately, I've never had a season-ending injury before. I'm just glad the knee is taken care of."

With this trade, the Saints believe they have shored up the middle linebacker position.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #69
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

He should help out greatly now we need another corner to go along w/ Mike Mckenzie

Last edited by BigTigLSU; 02-29-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #70
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

And... came again.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #71
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigLSU
He should help out greatly now we need another corner to go along Mike Mckenzie
The sad thing about McKenzie is that he's not going to be ready to go at the start of the season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #72
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Crap, I see the Saints and Panthers making moves. C'mon Tampa! This looks very good for the Saints, the O seems sets. They get another playmaker on defense, especially in the secondary, gonna be hard to stop them from taking the South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »