Home

Al Davis once again proves that he has fell off...

This is a discussion on Al Davis once again proves that he has fell off... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56
Thumbs down Al Davis once again proves that he has fell off...

Quote:
Raiders lock up Tommy Kelly to highest contract ever for a DT.

The Oakland Raiders stepped forward Thursday on the eve of free agency and signed Tommy Kelly to the largest contract ever given to a defensive tackle.

Kelly, a defensive end scheduled to move to defensive tackle this season, signed a seven-year, $50.5 million contract Thursday that has $18.125 million in guarantees. In the first three years of the deal, he will make $25.125 million.

The Raiders' plan is for the 300-pound Kelly to replace the retiring Warren Sapp as the three-technique defensive tackle in the Raiders' 4-3 defense. The move is similar to the one made last year by the Detroit Lions' Cory Redding, a franchise player who signed a seven-year, $47.5 million deal last summer, the highest among defensive tackles at the time.

Like Kelly, Redding was an effective run-stopping end with some pass-rush ability so the Lions believed he could move to tackle, work next to Shaun Rogers and create a solid 1-2 interior defensive tackle punch. The Raiders believe Kelly can emerge as one of the league's best interior defenders.

Kelly gained the confidence of Raiders coaches by averaging five tackles a game as a starter at defensive end. He's had 13 career sacks, and the Raiders believe he can be a pass-rushing force at defensive tackle because of his quickness.

First, though, Kelly has to get healthy. He's coming off a torn ACL that limited him to seven games last year. He had 30 tackles and a sack in those games. Kelly was going to be a highly coveted defender in free agency because he could play defensive tackle in a 4-3 or defensive end in a 3-4.

He came to the Raiders in 2004 as an undrafted free agent out of Mississippi State.

BSPN.com
Could someone please put this man to sleep already? a 50 million dollar contract to someone coming off a torn ACL...nice one Al.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Al Davis once again proves that he has fell off...

I don't like this move, but I also have to assume that they've seen something in T.Kelly for them to feel comfortable investing that much time and money in him.

This may shed some light on how they plan to approach the draft too. We've re-signed Fargas and now we've spent big money on a DT (assuming that they're done experimenting with him at D-end); which would lead me to believe that we'll pass on McFadden, Ellis, and Dorsey.

So I'd expect them to pursue C.Long with their 1st RD. pick.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 02-28-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Yeah when I saw that contract my eyes bugged out for a minute. I have to believe that is an extremely "generous" contract ...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
The Raiders' plan is for the 300-pound Kelly to replace the retiring Warren Sapp as the three-technique defensive tackle in the Raiders' 4-3 defense. The move is similar to the one made last year by the Detroit Lions' Cory Redding, a franchise player who signed a seven-year, $47.5 million deal last summer, the highest among defensive tackles at the time.
Why the hell would you ever copy something Millen did?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

No choice. Redding's deal set the standard for young unproven DT's who offer "promise to develop" looking for their 2nd deal after their rookie deal. If the Raiders wanted him this is the price.

I like this move. Kelly is a good player, and even after the injury I'd probably want him over Redding. The Raiders need to rebuild their trenches so where they actually do have a solid player, they need to keep him. They don't need more holes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
No choice. Redding's deal set the standard for young unproven DT's who offer "promise to develop" looking for their 2nd deal after their rookie deal. If the Raiders wanted him this is the price.

I like this move. Kelly is a good player, and even after the injury I'd probably want him over Redding. The Raiders need to rebuild their trenches so where they actually do have a solid player, they need to keep him. They don't need more holes.
Exactly..Kelly is better than anything available in Free Agency, and he has been a consistent performer in Oakland and a good team player. He's versatile and the team really couldn;t afford to lose him. Like NZA said, they don't need anymore holes, and they are paper thin at DT.

And one thing that the Raiders have been adept over the years is handling the salary cap. I promise you the contract is cap friendly and /or will be reworked when it needs to be.

Seldom do you see the Raiders jammed up over player salaries.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

This contract is a joke and spells disaster for the rest of the NFL.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Reaction in league circles to the $50 million contract paid to defensive tackle Tommy Kelly, which included $18 million in guaranteed money, generally has been bewilderment and laughter.

Kelly has 13 sacks. In his entire career. And he played in only seven games in 2007.

He joined the Raiders in 2004 as an undrafted free agent.

- Mike Florio ProFootballTalk.com

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »