Home

Instead of Bengals, Browns land DT Shaun Rogers from Lions

This is a discussion on Instead of Bengals, Browns land DT Shaun Rogers from Lions within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
Rookie for life...

Wasted Penguins's Arena

OVR: 12
Instead of Bengals, Browns land DT Shaun Rogers from Lions

ESPN.com news services

Updated: March 1, 2008, 3:22 AM ET

Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is being traded but not to the team that was first scheduled to acquire him.

After a deal fell through that sent Rogers to the Cincinnati Bengals for a third-round and fifth-round pick, the Lions rebounded by sending Rogers to Cleveland in exchange for a third-round choice and cornerback Leigh Bodden. Late Friday night, the Lions informed Rogers' agent, Kennard McGuire, that the trade with the Browns has been complete.

Dhani Jones

Jones

Shaun Rogers

Rogers

Rogers would join defensive tackle Corey Williams as part of a new Browns defensive line. Williams went to the Browns from the Packers Friday for a second-round draft choice. The Browns have used their first three draft choices in 2008 on trade.

The trade with the Bengals was apparently nixed by the league because of language issues in the trade agreement.

Rogers is often among the most dominant defensive players in the league. But he failed to live up to expectations at times because of weight and off-the-field problems.

He was at his best in November, when he lifted Detroit to a rout over Denver and a 6-2 record.

The 6-foot-4, 340-pound Rogers intercepted a pass and rumbled 66 yards for a score, broke up a pass, had four quarterback hits and 2½ sacks, one of which he followed with a somersault. He had plenty of chances to display his signature celebration, gesturing as if he was ripping off his shirt, a la Superman.

"It's just his presence," Detroit coach Rod Marinelli said last season. "I called him the server, because he keeps serving sacks for everybody because he's so disruptive."

The Bengals, meanwhile, agreed to terms on a three-year contract with linebacker Dhani Jones.

Jones and linebacker Landon Johnson were two of the team's priorities to re-sign once free agency started Friday morning. Jones, who signed with the Bengals during the 2007 season after a number of linebacker injuries, was the first to reach an agreement. Talks continue with Johnson, who is an unrestricted free agent.

The Bengals lost safety Madieu Williams to the Vikings early Friday morning when he agreed to a six-year, $33 million contract.
Cleveland Indians
Cleveland Cavs
Cleveland Browns
Columbus Bluejackets
The Ohio State University Buckeyes
The Youngstown State University Penguins
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Instead of Bengals, Browns land DT Shaun Rogers from Lions

Why did we have to lose Bodden and a third?

Rogers better be in shape other than round when he plays next year. I think Romeo might be better conditioned.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

I hate losing the 3rd, now no picks tilt he 4th round!

Bodden was great his first few years with us but he didn't impress me much last season, seemed to get burned a lot. If he can return to form Detroit got a good CB in this deal.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Old 03-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
All Star

p2xgamers's Arena

OVR: 19

I should of known better. :-/ No Madieu Williams and now no Shaun Rogers, not looking good.

My Blog
Old 03-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32

The trade nixed because of language issues... give me a break. I'm sure if it was the precious Cowboys getting over on Millen it would have been let through.

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »