Home

Tony Dungy underrated as a Coach

This is a discussion on Tony Dungy underrated as a Coach within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Tony Dungy underrated as a Coach

Hard for me, especially with spygate going as far back to the 1st superbowl, and seeing how Bill did w/ the Browns. Yea Dungy had great players on that Tampa defense, but look at the defense closely. I don't think any of them were high round picks. They were all "small " by NFL standards and John Lynch was too slow to play safety. When he 1st got to Indy that defense was horrendous. He put that defense were it is. And as for Tampa's D being great after he left, they were still good for maybe two years after he left, they're just now getting back to being some what dominant again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

I think that Cowturd is such a joke that anything he says automatically makes the opposite true.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp
I think that Cowturd is such a joke that anything he says automatically makes the opposite true.
When listening to him talk about Tom Brady it feels xrated
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
You've got to be kidding. "average guys"? Dungy has had the best defensive personnel in the NFC and the best offensive personnel in the universe. The Bucs defense was just as good after he left, and the Colts offense was fine before he got there.

If the personalities of Bill and Tony were reversed, no one would say Dungy was in Bill's league.
I'm not kidding, and others agree. Of course the D was good after he left, he coached those players, duh. That 'what if' game is rediculous, their personalities are not reversed, and 'if' they were, there wouldn't have been any cheating which imo must be included as being part of your legacy.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Technically Dungy should have 2 SBs to his name, the one that Gruden inherited from him in TB and the Indy one, but at least he got a ring 2 SBs ago.

Underrated? How? He has a SB ring, nobody is saying he isn't good etc. In my opinion he isn't as good as Belichik but with all the spygate stuff he might be even better if it's all proven.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I'm not kidding, and others agree. Of course the D was good after he left, he coached those players, duh. That 'what if' game is rediculous, their personalities are not reversed, and 'if' they were, there wouldn't have been any cheating which imo must be included as being part of your legacy.
Tampa was 12th in the league in defense the year before Dungy when Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch were 2-3 years into the league. That defense would have been good regardless. But with his record in the playoffs, I don't see anyway you can say he's better than Bill.

Bill's last 7 years include 3 Super Bowl wins, a Super Bowl loss, an AFC championship game loss, and a loss in the divisional round. Both non-SB losses were on the road and pretty damn close.

The talk about Dungy getting credit for Grudden's SB is ridiculous. In Tampa, Dungy's teams had a first round bye once. He had a record of 2-5 in the playoffs. He lost his last 3 playoff games, including the last 2 (both in the first round) by a combined score of 12-52.

In Indy, Dungy has 6 playoff appearances. Aside from the Super Bowl, he has the 2 losses to New England, and 3 one and dones, including the 14-2 season and this year, so don't try and say those teams weren't talented.

Dungy is easily the second best coach in the league, but aside from "he seems like a nice guy", there's no criteria for putting him over Bill.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

There is plenty of criteria if it's proven true that they were taping superbowls back to the first one they won. Without that, I agree he's #2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
Tampa was 12th in the league in defense the year before Dungy when Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch were 2-3 years into the league. That defense would have been good regardless. But with his record in the playoffs, I don't see anyway you can say he's better than Bill.

Bill's last 7 years include 3 Super Bowl wins, a Super Bowl loss, an AFC championship game loss, and a loss in the divisional round. Both non-SB losses were on the road and pretty damn close.

The talk about Dungy getting credit for Grudden's SB is ridiculous. In Tampa, Dungy's teams had a first round bye once. He had a record of 2-5 in the playoffs. He lost his last 3 playoff games, including the last 2 (both in the first round) by a combined score of 12-52.

In Indy, Dungy has 6 playoff appearances. Aside from the Super Bowl, he has the 2 losses to New England, and 3 one and dones, including the 14-2 season and this year, so don't try and say those teams weren't talented.

Dungy is easily the second best coach in the league, but aside from "he seems like a nice guy", there's no criteria for putting him over Bill.
In the new era of the all time greats starting from the 90's to present day

Holgrem, Schottenheimer, Jimmie Johnson, Marv Levy, Parcells, Belicheck, Cohwer, Shannahan (not sure if you would put him on that list) were would you rank him on that list

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »