Home

Jake Long to the Chiefs?

This is a discussion on Jake Long to the Chiefs? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Jake Long to the Chiefs?

If Matt Ryan is still there at 5, The Chiefs may take him. It appears today at the Boston College pro day almost every member of the Chiefs front office was there.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eton Rifles
If Matt Ryan is still there at 5, The Chiefs may take him. It appears today at the Boston College pro day almost every member of the Chiefs front office was there.
Yeah, they have to at least consider it.

Myself, I'm not really sold on any QB in this particular draft.

But all the talent in the world isn't gonna save Brodie Croyle, he's just too fragile, and upgrading the offensive line isn't gonna help that.

Hell, the two times last year he got injured, he wasn't even in the pocket.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6

As far as the chiefs brass being there to watch Matt Ryan's pro day, it was reported that every team with the top ten picks, besides the Patriots, had lots of front office people there. I wouldn't read too much into to that, because he didn't participate much in the combine at all.
Due to the fact that the Chiefs defense continues to improve, and the offense continues to get worse, Offensive lineman would be the only logical choice...but again, Carl Peterson is the one making the final call on this....I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade down to the 9-10 pick, Peterson is a cheap SOB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
MVP

parker002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnriii
As far as the chiefs brass being there to watch Matt Ryan's pro day, it was reported that every team with the top ten picks, besides the Patriots, had lots of front office people there. I wouldn't read too much into to that, because he didn't participate much in the combine at all.
Due to the fact that the Chiefs defense continues to improve, and the offense continues to get worse, Offensive lineman would be the only logical choice...but again, Carl Peterson is the one making the final call on this....I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade down to the 9-10 pick, Peterson is a cheap SOB.
Offensive linemen in the 2nd round, sure. OT in the later rounds would be logical as well. Offensive line with the #5 overall pick makes absolutely no sense at all.

Jake Long will likely be gone, and even he has question marks as to whether he'll ever be anything other than a RT long-term.

There isn't another offensive lineman worthy of that pick at all. You could take a huge risk on Ryan Clady and if it pays off, you look great. However, it also has the potential to set the franchise back for years. There's about 5 or 6 elite guys in this draft, the Chiefs are GUARANTEED to get one of them. Trading down is monumentally stupid - unfortunately, it's precisely the type of thing Carl Peterson likes to do.

This is one of the deepest OT drafts in several years. If the Chiefs pass on Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis for Ryan Clady or, even worse, Jeff Otah...well, it doesn't get any dumber than that.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
Pro

johnriii's Arena

that's funny, because nfldraftcountdown.com has the chiefs taking Otah with the 5th pick, for right tackle, no less. Croyle's gonna have a long season if they (chiefs) are relying on Mcintosh to guard his blind side.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
MVP

parker002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnriii
that's funny, because nfldraftcountdown.com has the chiefs taking Otah with the 5th pick, for right tackle, no less. Croyle's gonna have a long season if they (chiefs) are relying on Mcintosh to guard his blind side.
Well, Scott Wright's mocks aren't generally set in stone until the week before the draft. If someone like Rich Gosselin starts suggesting the Chiefs are considering Otah at #5, then I'll start worrying.

And Croyle is gonna have a long season REGARDLESS of who lines up at OT. He's just not strong enough to make it in the NFL. They need to build for the LONG TERM - short term fixes are the reason this team hasn't won anything of significance for almost 4 decades.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Pro

johnriii's Arena

good point. the only reason I even concern myself is because Carl peterson will somehow screw this up, and I'm really ready for another good yuck. (i.e. Ryan Sims).

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #16
MVP

parker002's Arena

I think you might be waiting for a while. Carl has really tried to become less involved in the draft since the last couple of years of Vermeil's tenure. Not coincidentally, the drafts since that point on have been somewhat better, especially in the 1st round. I think the reigns are now firmly in the hands of Herm and Bill Kuharich.

Say what you want about Herm's gameday coaching ability (or lack thereof) but I think he's done a decent job evaluating talent so far.

The Chiefs really value Glenn Dorsey and if his injury history should cause him to fall, I think they'll jump all over that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »