Home

Garrard signs richest deal in Jaguars history

This is a discussion on Garrard signs richest deal in Jaguars history within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Garrard signs richest deal in Jaguars history

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
You have to look at the entire picture. Consider they made the playoffs on the backs of 2 RBs and a QB that didn't turn the ball over or lose much yardage due to sacks. They gave the defense a chance to play at a higher level than their talent probably showed they should've been able to and it got them in a great position in a tough conference. A very easy comparison would be the 2000 Ravens. The difference is Garrard has more talent IMO than Dilfer so Dilfer got the door. In the case of the Jags the problem is more with the WRs than the QB.

A good coach has to look at what he has to work with and turn it into a winner and that's exactly what they did down there. Those WRs all came into the league with a lot of "potential" but none of them have really panned out. They get the next Jimmy Smith and I have no doubt they'd be airing it out more and get more of a balanced attack.

It's like people get on Billick for being an offensive genius or Marvin Lewis or Dungy for being defensive geniuses. They still have to go with the talent they have. Billick tried to be the "genius" last year and the players on the offensive side couldn't live up to the expectations of that type of play calling. Lewis and Dungy have improved the defense but realize that they have the talent on the other side of the ball and that dictates the gameplan.

The Jags are close though. I think they're a #1 WR away... not that that's easy to just find out there, but I don't think they were handcuffing Garrard.
Just based off progression, I think he will throw a little more no matter what this year.

I understand exactly what you're saying, and agree mostly. Those WR's with 'potential' still have potential and need more attempts in game to develope more. Matt jones has regressed this past season, but that's partially because he barely played (which i understand is because of attitude in practice?) - I think he has the athletic ability to be a #1, and hope he turns it around in jax or somewhere else because he's exciting to watch make plays when he's 'on'.

I think they are all talented though, but with a low number of passes, spread out to about 6 players, it's hard to shine for any of them
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
You have to look at the entire picture. Consider they made the playoffs on the backs of 2 RBs and a QB that didn't turn the ball over or lose much yardage due to sacks. They gave the defense a chance to play at a higher level than their talent probably showed they should've been able to and it got them in a great position in a tough conference. A very easy comparison would be the 2000 Ravens. The difference is Garrard has more talent IMO than Dilfer so Dilfer got the door. In the case of the Jags the problem is more with the WRs than the QB.

A good coach has to look at what he has to work with and turn it into a winner and that's exactly what they did down there. Those WRs all came into the league with a lot of "potential" but none of them have really panned out. They get the next Jimmy Smith and I have no doubt they'd be airing it out more and get more of a balanced attack.

It's like people get on Billick for being an offensive genius or Marvin Lewis or Dungy for being defensive geniuses. They still have to go with the talent they have. Billick tried to be the "genius" last year and the players on the offensive side couldn't live up to the expectations of that type of play calling. Lewis and Dungy have improved the defense but realize that they have the talent on the other side of the ball and that dictates the gameplan.

The Jags are close though. I think they're a #1 WR away... not that that's easy to just find out there, but I don't think they were handcuffing Garrard.
Mark my words...Jerry Porter will have a breakout season this year.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
Just based off progression, I think he will throw a little more no matter what this year.

I understand exactly what you're saying, and agree mostly. Those WR's with 'potential' still have potential and need more attempts in game to develope more. Matt jones has regressed this past season, but that's partially because he barely played (which i understand is because of attitude in practice?) - I think he has the athletic ability to be a #1, and hope he turns it around in jax or somewhere else because he's exciting to watch make plays when he's 'on'.

I think they are all talented though, but with a low number of passes, spread out to about 6 players, it's hard to shine for any of them
They threw more before last year and they all disappointed. I haven't given up on them but it was clearly the right move to play the way they did last year. It didn't win them a SB but I think they had a much better season than most expected. As for Jones, just having a bad attitude isn't a huge deal but add to that the fact that he was a QB in college. Bad attitude and bad work ethic are that much worse when you have to learn a new position... one that takes the top WRs around 2 or 3 years to adjust to the NFL. I hope you're right but I have a feeling he'll be go the route of Charles Rogers soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
I've always liked Porter and think you're right. In terms of playing I think he got a raw deal in Oakland so I hope he does shine. And if he does, the Jags may be in the big game this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
O_o

My Video Game Streams

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »