Home

Effort to oust Upshaw led by.....

This is a discussion on Effort to oust Upshaw led by..... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Effort to oust Upshaw led by.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitomulder
Well unguaranteed contracts is by far the biggest reason. And as a whole both professional baseball players and basketball players are making more money.
Guaranteed contracts would hurt the money that they get. Sure they wouldn't see all the money they get now, but for one, they would not get long contracts because of the injury risks, which would hurt the guys looking to cash in on their last contract. Rookies would make less because you don't want to spend all that money on unproven talent. They also would probably lose the signing bonus and another thing would be that once the contract is guaranteed, the player losses all rights to demand a new contract. You can't get traded because the fuzzy math used in the contracts would be gone and the cap hit would be too much for most trades. Then you would end up with contracts like Baseball where guys are getting paid until 2050 or so because they keep deferring money.

Guaranteed is a bad way to go in Football. The Players no what they are doing when they sign a 5-10 year deal, they are doing that to get the higher signing bonus and they know neither the team or them will keep the contract that long.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #18
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

MAWAE DEFENDS UPSHAW

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2008, 6:31 p.m.
The NFL Players Association has reacted swiftly to the news that Ravens kicker Matt Stover wants to oust Executive Director Gene Upshaw.
In a statement posted on the union’s web site, Titans center Kevin Mawae, who was elected union president last month, said Stover’s view is not shared by other union leaders.
“Matt Stover’s letter does not reflect the view of the entire executive committee or the board of player representatives. The board is in the process of preparing for the possibility of a work stoppage and understands the importance of having Gene, with his experience and history, lead the direction of the NFLPA.”
Meanwhile, Stover released a statement that expressed regret that his e-mail had become public, but shed no light on his efforts to sack Upshaw.
“I’m going to respect the process of our union leadership, executive committee and players reps. I choose to handle this matter privately. It was certainly not my intention for my private email to a select group to become public.”
The lines have now been drawn, and it will be interesting to see in the coming days whether other players publicly side with Mawae and Upshaw, or with Stover.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #19
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

this might get messy. A lot of people in the union want Upshaw gone, but the NFL and the owners love him obviously.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 32

Upshaw is getting paid more than the majority of the players. 4,000,000 is a nice salary and I bet his contract for the next 6 years is guaranteed while the players he represent play year to year.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #21
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Upshaw is getting paid more than the majority of the players. 4,000,000 is a nice salary and I bet his contract for the next 6 years is guaranteed while the players he represent play year to year.
I didn't know he got paid that much, that's ridiculous.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #22
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

VINCENT, UPSHAW AT ODDS? Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2008, 8:34 a.m.
In the wake of Tuesday’s news that Ravens kicker Matt Stover is leading the charge in connection with the potential replacement of long-term NFL Players Association Executive Director Gene Upshaw, a league source has shared with us some additional details, which suggest that there has been a falling out between Upshaw and former NFLPA president Troy Vincent.
Vincent stepped aside as president of the union, due to the fact that he’s no longer an active player. And the source says that Eagles safety Brian Dawkins was Vincent’s hand-picked choice to succeed him. But Dawkins didn’t get the votes.
As a result, turmoil exists. “There are warring factions in the NFLPA,” the source said. “Brian Dawkins . . . would have tried to endorse Troy replacing Gene. Gene protected himself by getting [Titans center Kevin] Mawae in and further pushed Troy away.” (And this perhaps explains Mawae’s statement of support for Upshaw.)
Indeed, with rumors swirling that Vincent would be named the Assistant Executive Director, Upshaw launched into his No. 1 and No. 2 tirade, insisting that there would be no No. 2 because No. 2 always wants to be No. 1. The source believes that Upshaw was talking about Vincent.
Indeed, we’re told that the union quietly has appointed Clark Gaines to the No. 2 position that Vincent had targeted.
Stay tuned. This once could get interesting. More interesting.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
"Kickers will speak when spoken to!" --Ray Lewis

Seriously though, if this leads to better negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA, and thus no work stoppage / strike / situation where the NFL isn't playing games, then I'm all for it.
Ray Lewis didn't say that. I'm pretty sure it was Peyton Manning. Only worth mentioning b/c Manning (if I'm right) was referring to something really stupid his kicker who now can't find a job said. Meanwhile Ray's kicker (Matt Stover) has been with his same team since the days they were in Cleveland and you've never heard a bad word about him. In relation to his being the lead on all of this, that quote would be a lot worse if it was directed at him.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #24
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Guaranteed contracts would hurt the money that they get. Sure they wouldn't see all the money they get now, but for one, they would not get long contracts because of the injury risks, which would hurt the guys looking to cash in on their last contract. Rookies would make less because you don't want to spend all that money on unproven talent. They also would probably lose the signing bonus and another thing would be that once the contract is guaranteed, the player losses all rights to demand a new contract. You can't get traded because the fuzzy math used in the contracts would be gone and the cap hit would be too much for most trades. Then you would end up with contracts like Baseball where guys are getting paid until 2050 or so because they keep deferring money.

Guaranteed is a bad way to go in Football. The Players no what they are doing when they sign a 5-10 year deal, they are doing that to get the higher signing bonus and they know neither the team or them will keep the contract that long.

Yeah guys getting guaranteed money and a guaranteed income is a bad thing for the players.

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »