Home

It's 11:22. Do you know what your NFL Draft particpants are doing?

This is a discussion on It's 11:22. Do you know what your NFL Draft particpants are doing? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 29
It's 11:22. Do you know what your NFL Draft particpants are doing?

Apparently the NFL knows about your love Marijuana if you are Aqib Talib and Mario Manningham.

Quote:
Two potential first-round, early-entry juniors — Kansas CB Aqib Talib and Michigan WR Mario Manningham — have been removed from the draft boards of multiple NFL teams because of character concerns.

Specifically, Talib admitted at the Combine to testing positive for marijuana three times while at the University of Kansas, according to several league sources. While teams appreciated Talib’s honesty, it bothered one team that Talib dismissed the first positive test because he said he had told Kansas head coach Mark Mangino that he was going to test positive.
Manningham, unlike Talib, denied testing positive at any time throughout college when the question was posed at the Combine about his past marijuana use. He also worked out poorly at the Combine after having waited to sign an agent and showing up unprepared to the annual event.

After hiring an agent, however, Manningham showed up in better physical condition at his pro day and ran considerably faster. He also distributed a letter to NFL team officials admitting that he "wasn't straightforward" during team interviews at the Combine, had failed two drug tests while at the University of Michigan and apologized for any confusion he caused as a result of being “nervous and scared.”

“I don’t use marijuana anymore — and I have passed tests since,” Manningham wrote in the letter. “I know what is at stake for me, and my career. I am learning what it is going to take to be a professional. I am writing this letter because I just want a fair evaluation, and I want to be accountable for my actions. I am willing to be re-interviewed, re-tested, and to undergo any evaluation any team wants me to undergo.”

The way we hear it, Manningham, despite handling the situation poorly at the Combine with little guidance, is viewed as less of a character risk than Talib, who has been removed from more draft boards than Manningham, based on conversations PFW has had with nine NFL teams.

“There is no way I’d touch (Talib),” one team told PFW. “He’s gotten into a lot of trouble, and he still does not get it.”

“He’s got a laundry list of issues,” another team executive said of Talib's off-the-field behavior. “He’s not a one-time offender. Give a guy like him money, and it never gets better. It only gets worse.”

Talib was suspended for two games in 2006 for disciplinary reasons and has numerous non-drug-related issues that concern teams, although he has told teams that he has changed his ways since his daughter was born on June 22, 2007.

Manningham has drawn more sympathy than Talib from teams who have interviewed the pair.

“(Manningham) does not have a strong support network; he just had his grandfather. He needs a lot of guidance," a club official told PFW. "He is embarrassed by his past. He’s really reserved and quiet. Lloyd Carr vouches for him, and they have not always seen eye to eye.”

Manningham was also suspended for the Eastern Michigan game last season "due to Coach Carr's determination that I was lacking in focus," Manningham wrote in his letter.

Both players could still wind up being drafted in the first round, because they possess great football playing instincts and elite athletic ability. However, they could easily slide a round because too many teams have removed them from draft consideration.
I love this story just because you only have to replace the names every year.

Wasn't the same thing said about Amobi Okoye, Calvin Johnson (Millen joke here about Manningham) and Gaines Adams last year?

The only thing I see different this year is the quote about Aqib and the never gets better thing. H-A-R-S-H.

Bolded part was my edit.

Last edited by The C; 04-08-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Wanted to add some bolding to my post so people with ADD will read it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: It's 11:22. Do you know what your NFL Draft particpants are doing?

I don't think this will affect Talib as MUCH as it will affect Manningham. He MIGHT have cost himself a first round selection while I think Talib might have just cost himself a few extra dollars but I still think he COULD go Top 10-13.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

I doubt Manningham would have gone in the 1st Round anyway, after he lied to team officials, he's not dependable....
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

give an idiot money, he's now an idiot with money and he will still do what he did before
Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

Talib won't fall out of the 2nd round.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Talib still goes in the Top 15 I think...Manningham early 2nd round.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I doubt he falls out of the 1st if even the top 20. He's probably the 3rd best CB in the draft behind McKelvin and DRC.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Manningham smoking dope was about the worst kept secret in Michigan the past 3 years.

Now that it's confirmed, Michigan fans can go back and look to see if we can tell what games Mario played in while he was blazed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »