Home

Rate Your Team's Draft Picks

This is a discussion on Rate Your Team's Draft Picks within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #73
MVP

DrDoom77's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Rate Your Team's Draft Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
Bears.

First round - A. We fit our biggest need, and didn't bow to the Jay Mariotti's of the world and make a 'sexy' pick.

The rest..... F. WTF? Angelo continues to show that he has no idea how to draft offensive players. Utter failure.
I'd give the Bears a B overall. I don't know a lot about the players selected, but most of the positions were need positions. Whether the players will fill the need, I have no idea. But, with the exception of the TE (I would've picked a QB or LB with that) and possibly CB picks, I was ok with what they did.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom77
I'd give the Bears a B overall. I don't know a lot about the players selected, but most of the positions were need positions. Whether the players will fill the need, I have no idea. But, with the exception of the TE (I would've picked a QB or LB with that) and possibly CB picks, I was ok with what they did.

Yeah Ill give the Bears a B-

I love picks 1-6, But I don't understand the Kellen Davis pick with guys like Andre Woodson, Josh Johnson, Colt Brennan, Eric Ainge, Matt Flynn, and a few others still on the board at the time.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #75
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73

Still a big F after day two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #76
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Minnesota Vikings: A-

Round 2 (43): Tyrell Johnson, S (Arkansas State)
Round 5 (131): John David Booty, QB (USC)
Round 5 (152): Letroy Guion, DT (Florida State)
Round 6 (187): John Sullivan, C (Notre Dame)
Round 6 (193): Jaymar Johnson, WR (Jackson State)

Johnson was seen as the best safety in this draft. The Vikings originally sat at #47 but moved up four spots to grab Johnson. My best guess is that Minnesota probably had Johnson on the top 25 or 30 on their big board, and thought he was too good of a value at that point to pass up. There is no doubt that Johnson is a stud, and will contribute to the defense right away. The 08-09 season will probably be Darren Sharper's last, meaning he should start year after next.

Booty is, in my opinion, an excellent pick. He is everything Tarvaris Jackson is not. Jackson is raw and lacks composure. Booty is very well developed and stays cool under pressure. Jackson does have better athleticism and arm strength, but at this point, I don't think Minnesota needs a QB that will win them a game - we just need one that won't lose it for us. If TJ ever gets into big trouble, I would not be surprised to see Booty step in this year. We moved up again to grab Booty, and I really think this was also because we saw his skillset as being perfect for our offense. Great, great fit for the Vikings.

Guion is going to be a great breather-guy for the Williams wall, a 3rd-down kind of D-lineman. While he wouldn't seen as generally a great pick here, he really fits the Vikings well. He has great quickness for an interior lineman, and great pass-rush ability from the inside. Like I said, he'll see some time in passing situations. He'll have to put on a lot of size if he wants to be a replacement for Pat Williams when he leaves.

Sullivan was another great, great pick. I thought he would go in the 4th round. He is going to become an excellent NFL lineman. The Vikings already have a center now, so he may not be able to immediately contribute, but if Matt Birk gets hurt, or when he eventually retires, Sullivan will be there. Excellent value at this pick.

I don't know much about Johnson, but he is the fast, returner type. I've seen that he lacks size, which is disappointing. I was hoping we'd go for Justin Harper out of VaTech here (a bigger, more possession-type receiver - perfect for a developmental QB like Jackson), but at least we got a receiver.

I'd give our draft a solid A-. We did everything right, except for (IMO) getting the wrong guy with our last pick. At least it was the right position though. We really fleshed a lot out and didn't try to do too much. I'm happy.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 4

I give the Vikings draft a C+

1st rd - Jared Allen - if you look at it this way we got one of the best players at his position in one of the most important positions on the field and he fills a glaring need

2nd rd- Tyrell Johnson - never actually seen him play but Mel Kiper seems to like him and he won't be relied upon heavily unless we catch some injuries at the safety spot, they say he was the best safety in the draft so i guess im good with this pick

3rd - see Jared Allen

5th - Booty, gives us a viable option if T-Jack and Gus crumble and we got a defensive lineman from Florida State so he can't be that bad although im guess since hes from FSU hes either stolen some textbooks or been accused of date rape so keep him away from the sex boats and Carl Eller and he will fit in just fine

6th - a Center from Notre Dame, i actually had the privilege of seeing Notre Dame's historically bad season last year and their main problem was the O-Line so this guys obviously gotta be terrible...and we got a small WR from Jackson State, I hope he can return kicks or do something else useful

Currently Playing
Fight Night Rd. 4 (360)
UFC Undisputed (360)
FIFA 09 (360)
MLB: The Show 09 (PS3)
Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #78
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Jets = F

Didn't address QB (Henne and Brohm were both available on Day 1); Andre Woodson was available late on Day 2.

Traded up for a TE...WTF?

The WR position is still questionable as is CB.

I just don't get what they were doing.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #79
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15

Dallas:

Felix Jones RB Arkansas - 1st Round (22) 22nd pick overall.
It was no mystery Jerry liked him and he got him. I'm trying to understand the reasoning for drafting him over Rashard Mendenhall who was still on the board. Clearly Jones is a better compliment to Barber and is an explosive return guy. Also Ed Werder mentioned Dallas questioned Mendenhall's work ethic because of his subpar '06 season when he didn't finish runs. I think that's all hogwash and Jerry just came up with that nonsense. Still, I don't think Jones is necessarily a bad pick and would have certainly gone to the Titans had Dallas not have drafted him. I give the pick a B- since Mendenhall would have made more sense.

Mike Jenkins CB South Florida - 1st Round (25) 25th pick overall.

Big props to Dallas for trading up to get who I think is the safest CB pick in the draft. If you subscribe to the theory that there are no longer any shutdown corners (which I do), then taking a good consistant corner with a ton of speed like Jenkins makes a lot of sense. I think his character concerns are overrated and I award this pick an A.

Martellus Bennett TE Texas A&M - 2nd round (30) 61st pick overall.
I'll first start off by saying I really like Bennett. He has great size and probably would start instantly for 5 to 10 teams in the league. The issue I do have is drafting a 2nd round TE, trading him and a linebacker you were clearly unhappy with for a 4th rounder, only to draft another 2nd round TE - when you have arguably the best all around TE in the league in Jason Witten. I think I would have preferred CB/S Reggie Smith with this pick due to the uncertainty of our safeties. C+

Tashard Choice RB Georgia Tech - 4th round (23) 122nd pick overall.
Choice is another player I really like. He was basically the only offensive weapon Georgia Tech had this past season and really has no weaknesses. He reminds me a little of Curtis Martin when I watch him. That being said, you already have your top 2 runningbacks set with Barber and Felix. They traded back several times and took Choice whom I thought was the best player availible, but he didn't fill a need. B-

Orlando Scandrick CB Boise State - 5th round (8) 143rd pick overall I see a Chris Carr clone. He's a better return candidate than defensive back in my opinion while South Florida's Trae Williams was still on the board. As was Texas DT Frank Okam. San Diego QB Josh Johnson, Nebraska OT Carl Nicks, or even Oregona QB Dennis Dixon would have made a bit more sense. C-

Eric Walden DE Middle Tennessee State - 6th round (1) 167th pick overall Eh, I really won't waste me time reviewing this players as the Cowboys didn't need to draft a player like this... especially not with their last pick AND in the 6th round. Minnesota S Dominique Barber would have looked great here. D

Overall I think the Cowboys really didn't put much effort into the 2nd day which is going to cost them. Stockpiling picks for next year may be nice, but we needed depth at QB, S, DT(NT), WR, and OG and we didn't get any of that. Subpar draft in my opinion. I give it a C.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #80
Rookie

Preo32's Arena

OVR: 4

Atlanta Falcons Day 2 Recap

Chevis Jackson (Rd 3) - I like this pick. We need a CB since DeAngelo Hall is gone, and this was one of the top 2 CBs remaining in the draft. Grade: B

Harry Douglas (Rd 3) - I like this pick just as much. I like Louisville, and Douglas was my favorite player on the team. He is a small WR, but i think he can step in and make a nice inpact. Grade: B

Thomas DeCoud (Rd 3) - Not a bad pick. We needed a safety, but it wasn't our biggest need. He's a pretty good player, and a great hitter, so I'm fine with it. Grade: B-

Robert James (Rd 5) - I don't know much about him other than he is a small linebacker. We did pick an LB in the 2nd round, and i think he will be better, but ok pick i guess. Grade: C

Kroy Biermann (Rd 5) - He is a college DE from Montana, but they say he is too small to play DE, so he will play LB. Great, just what we need. a 3rd LB. I think this pick was dumb, but I'm not rating this based on the player, just the position need. Grade: D-

Thomas Brown (Rd 6) - A RB is not a need, since we have Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood, but I guess we need a 3rd string. I like Brown since he's a Bulldog, but i don't know how big a factor he will be. Grade: C-

Wilrey Fontenot (Rd 7) - I think he is a steal in the 7th round. At Arizona, the ball was thrown his way a lot because Antoine Cason, a 1st rd pick, was the other CB. Fontenot did pretty good considering he got the big load of balls thrown at him (that sounds wrong) Grade: B-

Keith Zinger (Rd 7) - A TE out of LSU. I dont know much about him, but since Crumpler is gone, I guess we need a TE. Grade: C+

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »