Home

Rate Your Team's Draft Picks

This is a discussion on Rate Your Team's Draft Picks within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Rate Your Team's Draft Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Dorsey got more press. But most guys in the know had them 1a and 1b.

Ellis is the strongest player to ever come through the USC program.

From this article.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...uce&id=3174418

Doing sets of 8 with 200lb dumbells on incline dumbell press is ridiculously stupid. That's like putting two 27" tv's in each hand and pressing them. Ridiculous. Does he even open doors or just punch the wall down and walk through?
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #50
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Packers

B

Nelson was a surprise, but after reading up more on him, I like is what he brings to the table. KRob is iffy with knee problems and DD is 33. Nelson is tall, a good returner and good YAC. He had a monster year last year.

Brohm
I'm excited to see Brohm land on the 56th pick. He has an accurate arm, but not a strong one. He only needs an accurate one for the WCO.

Lee

Good bump n run CB. Grooming for the future after Harris and Woodson.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #51
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Redskins:

I love the all the additions. I think that we have added some key parts to installing a sucessfull WCO. I'm not sure if either receiver can contribute right away. I've heard the WCO is a lot to learn for young guys. I really like Davis at TE. Now Cooley can be moved all over the field and exploit mismatches in the defense. So I like the idea big tall WR for Campbell's development. I am also a little concerend that we didn't address our DE situation or find help for the secondary. But there are still 5 rounds and we have plenty of picks for a change so we shall see. COntingent of helping the other side of the ball and getting players that are gonna be cheeper that over priced free agents I will go out and say that I think the redskins are deserving of a B

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #52
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Packers

B

Nelson was a surprise, but after reading up more on him, I like is what he brings to the table. KRob is iffy with knee problems and DD is 33. Nelson is tall, a good returner and good YAC. He had a monster year last year.

Brohm
I'm excited to see Brohm land on the 56th pick. He has an accurate arm, but not a strong one. He only needs an accurate one for the WCO.

Lee

Good bump n run CB. Grooming for the future after Harris and Woodson.
Jordy Nelson was a beast in college, and he has all of the intangibles to be a beast for the Packers imo.

I would bet that anyone who has seen him play quite a bit would say that the Packers made a great pick there.

Last edited by ZB9; 04-27-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #53
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71
I agree that the Titans need a change of pace back... I just don't understand the logic in drafting one in the 1st. Isn't Chris Henry supposed to be our change of pace back? Maybe the Titans are admitting he was a bust... and if so, the solution shouldn't be drafting another RB way before he's projected to go off the board. It just feels like a bust all over again. I really hope I'm wrong.

And if our goal is to improve our running game, why not invest in a WR to spread the field? We were ranked #32 in passing TD's. Teams know we can't pass the ball, so they are going to put even more people in the box to stop the run. Our entire stable of WR's are busts, with the exception of maybe Justin Gage (who we didn't even draft). There's just no way that there wasn't a single WR in this draft better than our roster of busts. We had our pick of any of them. We go out and sign people who are cut by the Raiders and Jets (Mike Williams and Justin McCairens), but can't find a single WR in the draft good enough to be on our roster? Just not buying it.

I guess we'll try the "load up on a bunch of WR's in the middle round" strategy again. Or maybe we'll just stick with what we have. I don't know. I hope Chris Johnson explodes and makes me look like a fool.
I don't think it relates to Chris Henry much at all. The Titans should always have 3 capable RB's on the roster at all times. All three will get carries. If Henry develops into more of a weapon that's just a bonus, although if he's just a contributer so be it - he was a late 2nd, not a huge deal. Anyway, all 3 are unique enough - the big bruiser, hybrid of power and speed, and the total speedster. I like that trio. They mesh together in theory.

Johnson was drafted in the 1st because the value sucked at that point. It was an easy way to fill a huge need of ours on offense. Chris Johnson's versatility will allow the Titans to now focus more on D - their strength - in rounds 3-7. They have 6 more picks, I expect most will be D.

Think for a moment about who you would have replaced Johnson with in the 1st who was available. Balmer? Merling? I think Johnson has more value for us than those two as there is no guarantee from then on out in the draft we find an offensive weapon. One of the WR's? I think you'll find they're even bigger reaches at #24. In any case, it's trivial - you just have to get out of the 'RB' mentality with Johnson and start thinking 'weapon'. The offense needed a weapon whether it was WR or RB, and they chose who they thought was best (in fact Johnson will likely play a bit of both as he did in college). I'm sure DeSean and Thomas got a look over but just didn't stack up in comparison - personally I agree. Johnson has more versatility. Think about it - how is Bob Sanders going to spy VY now when Chris Johnson motions out of the backfield to the left slot and Crumpler runs a route up the seam in the middle? reverses, kick returns, lining up at WR or RB - this is a unique player for the Titans and I'm actually encouraged by the change in focus. 5 years ago, we weren't drafting a player like Johnson.

I also don't agree on Johnson being taken "way before he's projected to go off the board". He would have likely been picked before our next pick at 54 IMO (some say the Chargers may have taken him as early after us as their 1st), and if we can't get a trade down going, what do you want the Titans to do? not pick their #1 ranked player on their board? I suspect they didn't even want to trade down though, as that is risking losing their #1 guy and the team's #1 need. Just imagine if we were in prime position to land Johnson and botched it up due to a greedy trade, and never found a single proper offensive weapon in this draft there after - now that would be a disaster of a draft and offseason when time after time they *promised* to address offensive speed and big play ability. We'd have to settle for some long shot 2nd day pick to add offensive speed - no thanks. I think Chris Johnson was a vital pick (after Felix Jones was taken anyway).

I'm sure we could have forced a WR pick somewhere there, although it would have been a bigger reach in the 1st and if it were in the 2nd, a trade up would have been required with access to only one 3rd and 4th rounder (Pac trade hadn't gone through in time), and no WR was worth that. The key word there is "forced", because that's what it would have been - a forced pick, i.e., taking a WR for the sake of it and ignoring your draft board. The team needs a stud WR, not more of the same. I'm sure if they felt a stud WR was available they would have taken him, but it's clear no obvious stud WR's were available in this draft. One could develop, but it will be a flukey development as none were projected as such. It's pretty rare no WR's are taken in the 1st round in what was a average strength 1st round anyway.

I'll admit Johnson and Jones are not polished guarantees, but they clearly address two of the Titans' biggest needs - explosiveness on offense, and tweener DE/DT. I think only a fool dwells on Johnson's stated draft position of RB and fails to see the impact he could have on the offense as a whole. I'm sure, once again, the pundits will criticize - "What are they doing? where is Young's targets?" etc etc, but often missed in such criticism is the absence of opportunity - last time I checked, the Titans have never passed on a highly regarded target for Vince, they just haven't been in a good position to get one, and forcing it will likely only hurt. I'd much prefer the Titans focus on making the team's other weaknesses better where they feel good players exist and not fixate their attention to any one position.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #54
stewaat

OVR:

Panthers:
Well they needed OL and they must've really loved Otah. The pressure is on to not pull a San Fran and give away a top 10 pick. I don't think they will but who knows. It has the potential to be a terrible trade, and I don't see the potential to be a "steal". If Otah's an All-Pro it will be a fair trade, if not, Eagles got the advantage IMO.

I like Jonathan Stewart. You now have the tandom of Williams/Stewart and you get Toefield around the goalline. I like this backfield MUCH better than last year! Thank goodness DeShaun is gone. He was so much better as a 3rd down back.

Today they picked up a CB and Dan Connor (ILB Penn St.). I'm not sure who the CB actually is but I think they will both add depth. CB was a position that really struggled last year. Connor will step in on special teams right away.

I give the Panthers a B- based on the fact I think they gave up too much for Otah. I really hope he turns out to be worth it.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #55
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
Jordy Nelson was a beast in college, and he has all of the intangibles to be a beast for the Packers imo.

I would bet that anyone who has seen him play quite a bit would say that the Packers made a great pick there.
I am not sure how Jordy translates in to the NFL, but I really like the pick. Guy was super productive in college.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Redskins:

I love the all the additions. I think that we have added some key parts to installing a sucessfull WCO. I'm not sure if either receiver can contribute right away. I've heard the WCO is a lot to learn for young guys. I really like Davis at TE. Now Cooley can be moved all over the field and exploit mismatches in the defense. So I like the idea big tall WR for Campbell's development. I am also a little concerend that we didn't address our DE situation or find help for the secondary. But there are still 5 rounds and we have plenty of picks for a change so we shall see. COntingent of helping the other side of the ball and getting players that are gonna be cheeper that over priced free agents I will go out and say that I think the redskins are deserving of a B
I'll picky-back this post, now that the Redskins added OG Chad Rhinehart and CB Justin Tryon with 3rd and 4th round picks, in addition to 2nd round picks Devin Thomas (WR), Fred Davis (TE) and Malcolm Kelly (WR).

While it may not be the most balanced draft (O/D wise), it's exciting. Also, may be necessary for a change to West Coast. Having a backup like this to Cooley will only help Cooley... I'm LOVIN the WR situation - a 6'2 guy and a 6'4 guy, nice.

I'm actually not sure we need a Safety, although many might disagree. Landry as the new FS is great and Doughty improved. If he keeps improving, we're good. That being said, i think the biggest Defensive position needed to be addressed was CB, which happened in the fourth with Justin Tryon.

I'm also not sure we need defensive linemen. Carter will be a beast for awhile. We have young interiot lineman, which might have great potential. So, the hole might be an aging Griffin. However, knowing he's got some left in the tank, I'd wait until say next year and then get a DE in the 1st round.

I'm also glad we added some youth to the offensive line, which was needed.

B+

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »