Home

Rate Your Team's Draft Picks

This is a discussion on Rate Your Team's Draft Picks within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #57
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73
Re: Rate Your Team's Draft Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
Panthers:
Well they needed OL and they must've really loved Otah. The pressure is on to not pull a San Fran and give away a top 10 pick. I don't think they will but who knows. It has the potential to be a terrible trade, and I don't see the potential to be a "steal". If Otah's an All-Pro it will be a fair trade, if not, Eagles got the advantage IMO.

I like Jonathan Stewart. You now have the tandom of Williams/Stewart and you get Toefield around the goalline. I like this backfield MUCH better than last year! Thank goodness DeShaun is gone. He was so much better as a 3rd down back.

Today they picked up a CB and Dan Connor (ILB Penn St.). I'm not sure who the CB actually is but I think they will both add depth. CB was a position that really struggled last year. Connor will step in on special teams right away.

I give the Panthers a B- based on the fact I think they gave up too much for Otah. I really hope he turns out to be worth it.
Just to give an overview, looking at the draft value table to give a rough estimate, the 19th pick is worth 875. They are giving up their second (470) and fourth (76) this year. Best case scenario they win the super bowl and end up trading the 32nd pick (590), and they still end up down 261 in value, equivalent to the second pick in the third round. Realistically, I'm not convinced they are any better than a borderline playoff team with a late teens to early 20s pick next year. They pretty much just handed away their second and fourth pick this year.

I like the Connor pick, never heard of the CB or the TE they just drafted but they do need those two positions.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #58
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37

Broncos - B at the most with the first 2 picks...

With Lepsis out, Ryan Harris from last year who had back surgery may not have been the answer. Ryan Clady was a good pick but he needs to add some strength so he won't be pushed back easily.

Eddie Royal - Could be the next Steve Smith but needs to catch with his hands and not his body. Part of his negative related to Glennon and his (my friends quote from VT) "Presence of a 5 year old girl with asthma" Hopefully he's not Bloom from last years draft with a nagging injury out of camp.

Lichentsteiger - I just read about him being beat over and over again by Sedrick Ellis..so work is in store for him

Jack Williams
Ryan Torain (late RB selection...suprise)

Carlton Powell- "In 73 plays that he made vs. the run, he held the opponent to minus-21 yards rushing" Compares to Dewayne Robertson also..hopefully he works out well.

**Just heard on NFL Network; this draft has no off-field-issues with our selections. My friend at VT mentioned Eddie Royal as a really nice guy and his sister was a commander for the rotc/cadet

Last edited by av7; 04-27-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
F for the panthers, and while I'm at it, F the panthers front office.

Stewart is a solid running back, but not worthy at #13. He ran in a spread offense and has no experience in a pro-style blocking scheme. No one knows how he'll do in a new scheme because the spread is so different. Stewart was a hell of a reach. D'Angelo Williams is a backup player. Carolina is a running offense with bad running backs. I don't know how they won 7 games last year.

Reaching on Stewart so early forced the panthers to panic and mortgage the future for Otah, who they could have just picked with the ****ing 13th pick anyways. Why give up 2nd and 4th this year, and the 1st pick next year, unless the coaches don't give a damn as this might be the last year for Fox and Co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
Panthers:
Well they needed OL and they must've really loved Otah. The pressure is on to not pull a San Fran and give away a top 10 pick. I don't think they will but who knows. It has the potential to be a terrible trade, and I don't see the potential to be a "steal". If Otah's an All-Pro it will be a fair trade, if not, Eagles got the advantage IMO.

I like Jonathan Stewart. You now have the tandom of Williams/Stewart and you get Toefield around the goalline. I like this backfield MUCH better than last year! Thank goodness DeShaun is gone. He was so much better as a 3rd down back.

Today they picked up a CB and Dan Connor (ILB Penn St.). I'm not sure who the CB actually is but I think they will both add depth. CB was a position that really struggled last year. Connor will step in on special teams right away.

I give the Panthers a B- based on the fact I think they gave up too much for Otah. I really hope he turns out to be worth it.
I agree more w/bk. I'm not downgrading Stewart or Otah by any means. They may end up great players for a long time in Charlotte. The problem is this draft is less about winning, but winning John Fox's way. This team has a glaring need for a pass rusher. Once more, TE & a kick returner has been missing @ Ericsson for years now. Depth @ safety is another issue. They have not filled those needs. Better blocking, physical running may have been something they wanted to improve, but they weren't glaring holes. Then they use 3rd rounders on CB & LB. Again, these aren't huge areas of deficiency.

They should have gone tackle w/the first pick. If they still wanted to trade up (which McFadden & Chris Long were the only players worthy of that), they could then look @ a multiple threat to help w/the kicking game, go for D-line help or picked up Kenny Phillips. When Carolina's 2nd round pick came up, Minn selected S Tyrell Johnson. Also, Zbikowski was there. Not too mention Deshaun/Dexter Jackson was also available in the 2nd round. W/the ancient Mushin back & injury prone DJ Hackett as the new wideouts, the Jacksons could provide some excitement to the stoic environment @ home & might surprise as big play help for Steve Smith.

The draft should be used to address your weaknesses. The problems the Panthers had in December are still going to be there in May. And that carries into Labor Day.

Grade = F
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 4

Redsksins selected a place kicker with the 2nd pick in the 6th round... dropping their draft grade in my mind.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #61
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
Doing sets of 8 with 200lb dumbells on incline dumbell press is ridiculously stupid. That's like putting two 27" tv's in each hand and pressing them. Ridiculous. Does he even open doors or just punch the wall down and walk through?
LOL!

So, I see Charger fans having a colorful and somewhat bizarre discussion about Cason. BK, I'm with you on Cason. He's my homie and all but I never saw the hype about him. He's got decent speed, decent size, decent hands, just decent everything. He's a GOOD kid, very good head on his shoulders, but nothing about his game ever screamed FIRST ROUND PICK. So seeing his hype build throughout his college career, I was always puzzled.

Anyway, at Arizona he was definitely the leader on that defense, but I saw him get burned a lot. I'm glad he's coming back home though, I'm sure I'll be seeing my first NFL game very very soon, hopefully I'll get to see players up close and personal too!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #62
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan4Life
Redsksins selected a place kicker with the 2nd pick in the 6th round... dropping their draft grade in my mind.
Yes I agree, we really haven't addressed the DL at all. We have some players but the DL is the biggest weakness on this team and had been for the past 3 years. My grade now is closer to a C-

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 04-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #63
Fear the Friar

chilli311's Arena

OVR: 18

Now that the Chargers have 3 of their 5 picks in, I change my grade to a C.

I like the picks of Cason and Hester, but with only 2 draft pick left, and still not having the OL, S, or DT positions addressed, I'm a little disappointed. Marcus Thomas looks like he could be a decent prospect, but what was the point of getting him after we got Hester? It's hard for me to find a lot of positives with him except that he shares my birthday (a few years behind me though).

Last edited by chilli311; 04-27-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #64
MVP

MizzouBravesFan's Arena

OVR: 13

Chiefs - A+

I honestly mean that.

EVERY pick has been good so far, all three of our 3rd round picks were great value picks to go with the exceptional first 3 picks we made in rounds 1 and 2.

This has been far and away the best draft I've seen from the Chiefs, period.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »