Home

NFL Network: Top 10 things that changed the game

This is a discussion on NFL Network: Top 10 things that changed the game within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NFL Network: Top 10 things that changed the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
IMO he'll need to bring another facet to his game if he's going to be looked upon that favourably. The two other guys that revolutionized the return game also brought something else to the table Gale Sayers was an amazing RB and Deion Sanders was one of, if not the best cover corner in NFL history. Hester is going to have to round out his game a bit. Let's see how this experiment with him as WR works out.
Deion himself stated that Hester is the best return man that has ever played in the league (he has already broken most of Sayers' records)...and Hester is putting quite a higher premium on returners. The game is becoming so specialized nowadays, that a one dimensional player like Hester being such an incredible weapon is possible.

but I agree that he would be waaaay down a list of game changers. He just stood out somewhat when i was thinking of current players.

Quote:
As for the list, i'm surprised the invention of the forward pass wasn't mentioned. It was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the promo for this episode.
that should have definitely been on the list. I dont understand why it wouldnt be?

I cant think of anything that revolutionized and changed the game more than the forward pass. It is trivial imo how they left that off.

Quote:
I also think that saying TV changed the game is a bit too broad. Let's be specific and blunt here Monday Night Football is what created the modern NFL telecast. All the elements that we associate with tV coverage today was first used on MNF and Cossell was THE main man because you either loved him or loved to hate him.
i agree. That was the main springboard to what we have today with TV and the NFL

which reminds me...How has it evolved to include aaaaall of the freaking commercials that it does these days? Going overboard with the advertising is one thing that is going to change the game in a bad way imo. It seems that there is more commercial time on TV nowadays than the actual game

Quote:
BTW I agree Tex Schramm should've been on the list too. Did you know it was he that came up with the idea of home teams wearing their dark uniforms? He did it one season early in Dallas' history with the rationale that the home fans should see the colors of their teams rather then the plain boring white.
he had influences on soo many things. Tex was truly an innovator and a pioneer

btw, Schramm is the one that brought Pete Rozell into the league.

Last edited by ZB9; 05-16-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

You could take it further. Before I mention Bill Walsh, I'd probably mention Sid Gilman, who's the true father of the modern offense and passing game.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 7

My additions.

3-4 defense
Cover 2 defense
Shotgun Formation
The NFL Draft
Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #20
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
If you want to go way back - The forward pass.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
1. AFL-NFL War

The ultimate effect of which was the merger. Schramm and Lamar Hunt were the two people who were most responsible for making the merger happen.
I realize everything is always about the Cowboys for some people, but I'd credit Joe Namath here

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginns
I realize everything is always about the Cowboys for some people, but I'd credit Joe Namath here
Do you know anything about the history of the league? It doesnt really matter who YOU would credit, because you obviously dont have enough information to know what you are talking about here.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...?player_id=190
Schramm's contributions to pro football did not stop with the Cowboys however. For 23 years, he was the chairman of the influential NFL competition committee. Along with Lamar Hunt, he was a leading force in the AFL-NFL merger that was culminated in 1970.

and fyi, Namath's great victory in the NFL-AFL championship III was AFTER the merger had already been decided.

Last edited by ZB9; 05-16-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #23
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
Do you know anything about the history of the league? It doesnt really matter who YOU would credit, because you obviously dont have enough information to know what you are talking about here.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...?player_id=190
Schramm's contributions to pro football did not stop with the Cowboys however. For 23 years, he was the chairman of the influential NFL competition committee. Along with Lamar Hunt, he was a leading force in the AFL-NFL merger that was culminated in 1970.

and fyi, Namath's great victory in the NFL-AFL championship III was AFTER the merger had already been decided.
I know I hear Lamar Hunt's name come up in that deal a lot more than Schramm.

But yes, we all know it's all about the Cowboys.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #24
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

What about Vince Lombardi?

You guys thought he shoulda at least got an honorable mention?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »