Home

Best team for each franchise?

This is a discussion on Best team for each franchise? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:22 AM   #73
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Best team for each franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Other than being a Viking fan, I am not sure how you could say that with any certainty.

Denver was the defending SB champ, they had an all-timer at QB, they had the best RB in the league, they had a pair of pro bowl WR's and the best TE in the game.

They were outstanding in special teams, both in the kicking game and the return game.

Defenisively they were amongst the best in the league as well. Ranking #8 in scoring defense, and they were extremely physical.
Excluding the NFC Champ game debacle, no one had even slowed down that Viking scoring machine all season.

As good as Denver was on Offense, there wasn't another offense they had faced all season as balanced and as dangerous as the Vikes were. A Pro Bowl RB, A Pro Bowl filled O line, a freak at WR with a Hall of Famer alongside him and a damn fine 3rd option. No secondary in the NFL could hang with the Vikes receivers because no matter who you covered, there was a glaring mismatch. Double Moss and leave Carter one on one? Drop your Safeties in Cover 2 and leave Robert Smith with room to run?

It would have been an awesome Super Bowl. I don't see how anyone could think Minnesota couldn't have gone toe to toe with Denver.

But then again...it's all hypothetical anyway.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #74
Banned

OVR: 21

Vikings are another interesting franchise. The 1969 team actually ranks first...just above the 98 team. Here are the 69 team stats:

Scored 379 points (27.1/g), 1st of 16 in the NFL.
Allowed 133 points (9.5/g), 1st.
Differential of 246 points (17.6/g), 1st.
Played 14 games in season.

Here are the 98 team stats:

Scored 556 points (34.8/g), 1st of 30 in the NFL.
Allowed 296 points (18.5/g), 6th.
Differential of 260 points (16.2/g), 1st.
Played 16 games in season.

Tough call...but 2 great teams...

C
Old 05-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #75
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Excluding the NFC Champ game debacle, no one had even slowed down that Viking scoring machine all season.

As good as Denver was on Offense, there wasn't another offense they had faced all season as balanced and as dangerous as the Vikes were. A Pro Bowl RB, A Pro Bowl filled O line, a freak at WR with a Hall of Famer alongside him and a damn fine 3rd option. No secondary in the NFL could hang with the Vikes receivers because no matter who you covered, there was a glaring mismatch. Double Moss and leave Carter one on one? Drop your Safeties in Cover 2 and leave Robert Smith with room to run?

It would have been an awesome Super Bowl. I don't see how anyone could think Minnesota couldn't have gone toe to toe with Denver.

Statistically Denver was every bit as good as the Vikes offensively. Interesting note the Niners actually outgained both teams by a significant amount of yardage.

Denver was better at RB, Offensive Line and QB than Minnesota was, and was better on special teams and defense.

I think Minnesota was good that year, but it would be tough to convince me they were better than Denver. Especially after the ease in which they dismantled the Atlanta team that beat the Vikes. Not to mention they were the defending champs. There is no doubt in my mind Denver was the best team in the league that year, and they proved it on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 47

I think the Denver and Vikings would have been a great game. Being a Vikings fan I would give the Vikings the edge. Moss was amazing his rookie year. Smith was amazing too and Randel was reborn again. Though TD would have been tough to stop. I will never forget the miss by Gary. Man, that sucked and I remember that like it was yesterday. Still shocked. But BK your Chargers still suck. It would be funny if they played the Vikings in the SuperBowl this year. Then one of us can't use the 0 wins!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #77
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I think the Denver and Vikings would have been a great game. Being a Vikings fan I would give the Vikings the edge. Moss was amazing his rookie year. Smith was amazing too and Randel was reborn again. Though TD would have been tough to stop. I will never forget the miss by Gary. Man, that sucked and I remember that like it was yesterday. Still shocked. But BK your Chargers still suck. It would be funny if they played the Vikings in the SuperBowl this year. Then one of us can't use the 0 wins!
I don't know how you can give the edge to the Vikings. If you can't beat Atlanta at home in the biggest game of the year, you aren't beating Denver.

As far as this years Super Bowl. Minnesota won't sniff the game.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #78
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni

Tampa did at there home. They shut us down and cause a lots of problems. They had no chance to throw the ball deep to Moss. That pressure was on Randel real fast. Still had a chance to win, but Tampa did one hell of a job on that Vkings team.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #79
Banned

Quote:
I don't know how you can give the edge to the Vikings. If you can't beat Atlanta at home in the biggest game of the year, you aren't beating Denver.

I just think they had more weapons. Chris would have not been denied. Also, they had no answer for Moss. LIke I said TD would have given them sone trouble.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #80
Banned

Quote:

That makes no sense at all. If they played Denver that would have meant they beat the Falcons. I'm saying if they did meet in the SB. I give the edge to the Vikings. Both team would be coming into it with 1 lost.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »