Home

Dallas Cowboys HOF bias

This is a discussion on Dallas Cowboys HOF bias within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28
Dallas Cowboys HOF bias

there is one imo.

This guy has some good points.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showth...=119191&page=3

"Cornerback is a tough position to play. It is often described as being out on an island. Take a CB and give him a 14 year NFL career, 52 INTs, 3 TDs, 13 fumble recoveries, 109 career punt returns with a 7.7 avg. and another TD, 85 kickoff returns with a 26.4 avg. and 2 more TDs, how about 8 carries as a RB for 52 yards and a 6.5 avg. and 4 receptions for 65 yards and a 16.3 avg., 21 career playoff games and a Super Bowl, and finally 10 of his 14 years he is a Pro Bowl CB.

Is this man a Hall of Famer? Of course he is.

Should it take 19 years to honor him? It does if your name is Mel Renfro and you played for the Dallas Cowboys.

How about Offensive Tackle. Would you call it a tough position to play? Give a man a 13 year career where he is an All Pro 4 times, 6 times a Pro Bowl honoree, 2 time Super Bowl Champion, and for good measure in his 13 years he never allows a QB sack earning a ringing endorsement from Deacon Jones as the only man he ever feared going up against.

Is this man a Hall of Famer? Of course he is.

Should it take 26 years to honor him? It does if your name is Rayfield Wright and you played for the Dallas Cowboys.

Too many people look only at stats when talking about the Hall of Fame. Here are 2 guys with impeccable stats that if they were to have played for any other team in NFL History would probably have been first ballot Hall of Famers. No bias? Please.

Did you ever hear a player or coach say that Art Monk changed the way the game is played? I ask that with no disrespect to Art Monk who is being honored this year and I think it is long overdue.

Bob Hayes did change the way the game is played. In an era when passing was minimal he was such an unstoppable force that teams feared him and Zone Defenses were created to try and stop him. When a man like Don Shula mentions you as the one player who he openly feared it should say something about that player. A lot more than the stats, but if you want to look only at stats for impact on the game look at how many of his catches were scores and how many yards per catch he averaged.

Bob Hayes, not Michael Irvin, holds the Cowboys record for TD Receptions. Look at how many receptions each had and then you get an appreciation for just how explosive Hayes was. Look at his first 5 years in the NFL. Double digit TDS every year. In that era no other WR was doing that. Not even the great Don Hutson or the great Raymond Berry or the great Lynn Swann. Hayes did and him alone. Swann's stats don't measure up to Hayes, who was a 4 time All Pro.

No bias against Hayes? Of course there is. If he was a Steeler he'd be in.

Cliff Harris is widely regarded as the Best Safety of the 1970's, a 6 time Pro Bowl honoree, 3 time All Pro, with 29 INTs, 10 forced fumbles, 18 fumble recoveries and a 25.7 avg. as a kick returner. 30 years and counting that he has not been properly honored.

Chuck Howley was a 7 time All Pro and a 6 time Pro Bowl honoree on top of being a Super Bowl MVP and probably having the best back to back Super Bowl performances any defensive player ever had. 35 years and counting that he has not been properly honored.

Don't tell me there's no bias against the Cowboys. I'm not stupid".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Dallas Cowboys HOF bias

This should be fun.

I agree on Bob Hayes though, no way Lynn Swann should be in and Bob Hayes should not.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 05-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Bob Hayes changed the game in a lot of ways but he was like a candle in the wind. He burned out too fast. Now if we're talking Drew Pearson then there's a Cowboy I can certainly campaign for the HOF.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Bob Hayes changed the game in a lot of ways but he was like a candle in the wind. He burned out too fast. Now if we're talking Drew Pearson then there's a Cowboy I can certainly campaign for the HOF.
Drew Pearson was the first WR I ever had a man crush for...well I was like 7. But I LOVED him. Hated the Cowboys...but hated the Steelers more back then.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Drew Pearson, not a hall of famer. Good player, not a great player. Hayes, I can see, I think in his case, off the field problems have kept him out.

As far as Cowboys bias in the hall. No team in sports sans possibly the Yankees is the baby of the media more than the Cowboys. The notion that there's a bias against them by the media and the writers is beyond ludicrous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Drew Pearson, not a hall of famer. Good player, not a great player. Hayes, I can see, I think in his case, off the field problems have kept him out.
Pearson's numbers are comparable to Swann and you have to remember that like Swann his career was played for a team that ran the ball more then they threw it for the most part.

If Swanny is in there then Pearson deserves to be there as well.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 32

If the those 70's cowboys would have beaten the Steelers in those superbowls this would be a non issue. Cliff said as much.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Pearson's numbers are comparable to Swann and you have to remember that like Swann his career was played for a team that ran the ball more then they threw it for the most part.

If Swanny is in there then Pearson deserves to be there as well.
Swann won 4 Super Bowls, including 2 over Pearson's Cowboys. Not to mentionm Swanny absolutely bitch slapped the Cowboys secondary in those games.

If we're going purely on stats, then imo, neither player deserves it. But if you add up the whole package, Swann is superior to Pearson, not to mention Swann was a better player hands down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »