Home

How would you assess Reggie Bush's first 2 years in the NFL

This is a discussion on How would you assess Reggie Bush's first 2 years in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #25
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: How would you assess Reggie Bush's first 2 years in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgameonly
I certainly am no GM, but it is a bit confusing. Warrick Dunn carved out a nice career, as an undersized halfback somehow surviving the beating. Heck so has Brian Westbrook. They just comes to mind when I think of Bush, so I think it remains to be seen what will come of him in the long run. I do think right now he is more of a compliment to a big back then a feature back. What Bradshaw gave the Giants last year I certainly can picture Bush as having Dunn as a speed compliment to a big bruising back. Overrated, yes, bust probably relative to where he was drafted when it is all said and done. Incapable of a solid, productive career,, well I certainly would not say that if he finds a nice system where he has a reduced role not as a feature back.
Yea I think he'll end up having a nice, solid career with a few 1000 yd seasons in there, but I just don't think he could be "The Lead Back" on any of the teams he'll player for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #26
Pro

Blazelore's Arena

OVR: 6

Bush is overrated. Lendale White was carrying the load at USC. That why when he got in the game everyone was tire trying to tackle a 260lbs running back. He shared time his whole career. Now when Duece when down what did Bush do? Nothing! Warrick Dunn carried the load when he was at FSU and still is the only back to run for 1000 yards in a season. Bush is a bust! I always knew he wouldn't have a great NFL career.

Last edited by Blazelore; 05-28-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #27
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

It's just as hard to say "he can't be a lead back" as it is to say "he's proven he can be a 4 down starter in the nfl". The Saints haven't prepared him to be a lead back to this point. You can't compare him to AD or anyone else really. AD is running behind the best line in the NFL in the most run heavy offense. As good as his year was, if he wasn't there, Chester Taylor would've had pro bowl stats and that was only partially b/c of talent.

Anyway, back to Bush... the Saints plan has been to give reps to both Bush and Duece, and not interchangable reps at that. It worked very well his rookie year and then last year Duece went down early so young Bush was in some serious on the job training. Add the injuries and I'd say he had a pretty solid season, considering.

The real test will be when he comes into the season as the feature back and healthy. If neither happens the next couple of years, then it probably could read as a bust, but not after 2 years.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #28
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I think what some of the people in here are saying is that so far, he has yet to prove that he was worth the Number 2 pick. But like I said in my first statement, I hope he proves me otherwise this year because I hate to see somebody with that TYPE of talent not be considered a bust or a failure because of the ESPN Hype Machine.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #29
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I don't know what "proving he's worth the number 2 pick" means, though. His coach hasn't given him the ball 30 times and said "prove you were worth the pick" so he hasn't failed at that. He was worked in slow his rookie season and considering his touches and many ways he touched the ball while being worked in slow, check his numbers. Add the effect on the defense when he was on the field that opened it up for everyone else, and I thought he played about as well as he could have.

Last season he was being prepared to slowly expand that role but was forced into changing it completely, into a role that he really has never had even in college. Add the injury and it's fair to say he didn't have a great season in 07, but there are so many easy reasons to point to... most would just rather call him a bust b/c he was the #2 pick two years ago.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #30
Pro

Blazelore's Arena

OVR: 6

All Bush has is speed. He's still not a pure runner. All the hype he's gotten wasn't warranted.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #31
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

People that fall for the hype are people that don't watch the games.

You knew you weren't getting a finished product when it came to his running. Especially since he wasn't a workhorse in college. But anybody with a clue knew that he had to immediately be worked in as a change of pace/receiver out of the backfield type of back.

If he can be Brian Westbrook, another whom needed more time as the feature back before he became a better pure runner, then that would be fantastic. And I think Bush can be that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #32
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
People that fall for the hype are people that don't watch the games.

You knew you weren't getting a finished product when it came to his running. Especially since he wasn't a workhorse in college. But anybody with a clue knew that he had to immediately be worked in as a change of pace/receiver out of the backfield type of back.

If he can be Brian Westbrook, another whom needed more time as the feature back before he became a better pure runner, then that would be fantastic. And I think Bush can be that.
Yea...you make a good point, but Westbrook's career is of different circumstances than Bush's. Westbrook was a 3rd rd draft pick out of Villanova. Bush...a first rounder from the power-house team of USC.

When looked at under that light I think you asses his career so far as disappointing considering that Joseph Addai has out played him thus far. He still has time to prove himself though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »