Home

L.T-For the Rookie Cap. Reggie Bush Against the Rookie Cap

This is a discussion on L.T-For the Rookie Cap. Reggie Bush Against the Rookie Cap within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
L.T-For the Rookie Cap. Reggie Bush Against the Rookie Cap

Quote:
TOMLINSON FAVORS ROOKIE CAP

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 20, 2008, 11:07 a.m.
With the Chargers and Saints preparing to play in London in October, the NFL dispatched running backs LaDainian Tomlinson and Reggie Bush to England this week to promote the American version of football.

And while BBC reporter Tim Love presumably doesn’t cover American football often, he did a solid job of getting some interesting information when he interviewed Tomlinson and Bush.

Specifically, Love asked Tomlinson what he thinks of highly drafted rookies getting contracts with $30 million in guarantees, and Tomlinson answered, “It’s very frustrating. The veterans are what make the league. They keep it at a high level. Most people don’t tune in to see rookies. They tune in to see the Peyton Mannings, the Tom Bradys, they want to see guys like that. There needs to be a rookie salary cap, no question.”

That advocacy for a rookie cap makes Tomlinson the latest — and perhaps the highest-profile — veteran to take issue with players’ union head Gene Upshaw, who opposes a rookie cap and claims that high rookie salaries give veterans more leverage in negotiating high salaries for themselves.
Tomlinson, of course, got a big payday as the fifth overall pick in the 2001 draft, but he earned every penny of that contract and was rewarded with a raise when it came time to renegotiate.

Bush, on the other hand, has failed to meet the high expectations the Saints had for him when they made him the second pick in the 2006 draft, which may be why he opposes a rookie cap.

“It is what it is,” Bush said. “I’ve never had a problem with it. It’s been this way for a long time; it’s just how it works. Some of the guys who don’t like it as much are the ones who weren’t the top draft picks. I think that it gives college athletes something to strive for. If they’re the top pick they’re going to get the most money.”

Huge paydays are, of course, something for college athletes to strive for. But any professional contract would be something for college athletes to strive for. And if the league implemented the type of rookie cap that Tomlinson supports, there would be more money left over, so that more proven veterans could strive for more money on their second contracts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: L.T-For the Rookie Cap. Reggie Bush Against the Rookie Cap

There needs to be a rookie cap...theres no reason there shouldn't be one.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 30

The only person who is for a rookie cap that I'll listen to is the top 10 draft pick who signed for $2.5 million a year.

I'm not surprised Tomlinson is for the rookie cap now that he's not a rookie. However, I doubt he cared too much when he signed his 6 year $38 million rookie contract or when he signed the largest RB contract in NFL history before making the playoffs or an All Pro team.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
The only person who is for a rookie cap that I'll listen to is the top 10 draft pick who signed for $2.5 million a year.

I'm not surprised Tomlinson is for the rookie cap now that he's not a rookie. However, I doubt he cared too much when he signed his 6 year $38 million rookie contract or when he signed the largest RB contract in NFL history before making the playoffs or an All Pro team.
He had of course, put up the 2nd most yards from scrimmage in a season, and been the only player to rush for 1,600 yards and catch 100 balls in a season, before he signed the extension. Not making the playoffs wasn't his fault, nor was being left off the All Pro team.

What he's saying isn't something new. Why should a guy who hasn't played a down yet become the highest paid player on a team?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

If you were a GM right now how much money is Reggie Bush worth after two seasons in the league. Reggie is being paid for being a heisman trophy winning running back at USC. Not as a stand out member of the Saints. Not saying that he couldn't be but the way rookies are getting paid now a days. There will be a time when a guy signs a big contract and just mails it in for 5 years and then calls it a career.

I am for a rookie cap. So long as it doesn't interfere with these guys going after bigger paydays if the exceed those rookie deals. (ie Anquan Bolden, he has earned his money. He is arguably the best WR on the Cards. Yet even last year. Bryan Johnson was making more than him because Johnson was a 1st round pick and Bolden wasn't)

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I am for a rookie cap. So long as it doesn't interfere with these guys going after bigger paydays if the exceed those rookie deals. (ie Anquan Bolden, he has earned his money. He is arguably the best WR on the Cards. Yet even last year. Bryan Johnson was making more than him because Johnson was a 1st round pick and Bolden wasn't)
I think there are some big problems with structuring rookie contracts.

First, they aren't guaranteed. If you structure them, they better be guaranteed.

Second, football isn't basketball. You can't get worn down in basketball in 3 years. In football, you can be essentially done with your career in 3 years if you're used enough. Going back to the first point, a team can run you into the ground for 3 years, sign you to a big contract, and then cut you a year later. In basketball, if you play a guy 46 minutes a game, have him drive the paint all the time, and he gets worn down, you're still paying him everything you owe him.

Third, the specialization of football works against capped contracts. How long are the contracts going to be? If a QB is signed to a 2 year deal and sits for a year, why not sit him the next year so you can resign him for next to nothing?

Fourth, there are a whole lot more draft spots in football than basketball. Assuming you are only paying the top end draft picks $2.5 million, what's a 6th-7th round pick getting? $500 and a rental car?

Fifth, while there's no comparison right now for the NFL, the NBA is starting to have some serious problems with the rookie slotting with the older international players. Why come to the US and make $500,000 when you can make $6 million oversees?

I'm not opposed to the rookie scale, but it's not as easy to implement as it sounds.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
Third, the specialization of football works against capped contracts. How long are the contracts going to be? If a QB is signed to a 2 year deal and sits for a year, why not sit him the next year so you can resign him for next to nothing?

Fourth, there are a whole lot more draft spots in football than basketball. Assuming you are only paying the top end draft picks $2.5 million, what's a 6th-7th round pick getting? $500 and a rental car?
Those would be my questions.

I've seen people say this over and over again, but I've never seen anyone come up with a good way to do it. Until that happens, it'll be hard to implement.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
He had of course, put up the 2nd most yards from scrimmage in a season, and been the only player to rush for 1,600 yards and catch 100 balls in a season, before he signed the extension. Not making the playoffs wasn't his fault, nor was being left off the All Pro team.

What he's saying isn't something new. Why should a guy who hasn't played a down yet become the highest paid player on a team?
+1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »