Home

Jevon Kearse Arrested For DUI

This is a discussion on Jevon Kearse Arrested For DUI within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Jevon Kearse Arrested For DUI

If he refused a breath test AND a field sobriety. He gets off easy. Remember kids. Dont drink and drive but if you do, refuse all tests.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...e-arrested.asp

Professional football players are out of control. With more money than maturity, they're more likely than the general public to drive drunk, get into barroom fights and generally act like thugs, hoodlums and common criminals.

Right?

Wrong.

Every once in a while, a reporter will take a step back from the conventional wisdom and check it against the facts. That's what the San Diego Union-Tribune's Brent Schrotenboer did last week.

For a two-part series, "NFL Crime and Punishment," he analyzed 308 arrests and citations of National Football League players since 2000 and found:
  • The overall arrest rate for football players is about half of the general population. In any given year, about one in 45 NFL players -- a little more than one per roster -- gets arrested. The national rate is about one in 23, according to the FBI. [78]
  • Drunken driving arrests accounted for a third of the arrests. Still, the drunken driving arrest rate is about one in 144 for NFL players -- slightly better than the national rate of one in 135.
  • Fifty players were responsible for 40 percent of arrests, with multiple DUI and other charges.
Schrotenboer then goes looking for answers about the nature of the problem, and why the perception is different from reality. His experts come up with the usual suspects: the media, society, racism, the "car culture," a lack of personal responsibility, poor upbringings.

But you knew this was coming. The story notes: "Some teams are clearly better behaved than others. The St. Louis Rams (three incidents involving two players) might have something to teach the Minnesota Vikings and Cincinnati Bengals, who combined for at least 44 incidents since 2000." Yes, Cincinnati is leading the league with more than twice the average number of arrests, according to the Union-Tribune accounting.

Why is that? Former Enquirer sports columnist Tim Sullivan -- now at the Union-Tribune -- explained it this way to San Diego Charger fans in an online chat Monday: "Most of the Chargers' offenses were committed by two or three players," Sullivan said. "The Bengals have more depth at the criminal position."
The only thing that I have against this article is the St.Louis Rams part. While they don't have many incidents; they have the most heinous incident outside of Rae Carruth.

The Bengals aren't really close to Leonard Little.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

personally i'd take intent over end result. drinking and driving is bad BECAUSE the worse can happen. while I agree Little's situation is worse b/c it DID happen, I still don't look at it as worse than assault charges or much worse than multiple DUIs. in terms of the law, yeah Little should be locked up for a very, very long time, but in terms of counting offenses, they're all bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Little going out and driving drunk again after killing somebody has to rank right up there with any crimes that involve direct intent.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp
Little going out and driving drunk again after killing somebody has to rank right up there with any crimes that involve direct intent.
I agree.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
really.

that post deserves it's own thread
This article does deserve a thread by itself and a special segment on ESPN.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
Isildur's Heir

McLite's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtAndProud
If he refused a breath test AND a field sobriety. He gets off easy. Remember kids. Dont drink and drive but if you do, refuse all tests.
Driving is a privilege, not a right. In Nevada you can still get taken down to county jail and a forced blood draw will be taken if you still refuse to comply.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp
It's hard to disagree considering the situation, but I still classify it a little differently. Stupidity and feeling that you're above the law deserves as much punishment... even more in my book, for repeat offenders like this. But direct intent to hurt another person is still higher on my moral scale.

Definitely don't have a problem with you guys disagreeing though. I can understand why.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »