Home

Michael Vick files for bankruptcy protection

This is a discussion on Michael Vick files for bankruptcy protection within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #33
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Michael Vick files for bankruptcy protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
I for one find it a shame that athletes have done far worse than Vick and received little to no punishment. Pac-man Jones was responisble, at least in part, for another man being shot and paralyzed. Not only that, but hitting women. Numerous players have been accused of rape, etc.

All of those are worse than dog fighting. Or have we gotten to the point to where we esteem Fido to be of more value than our fellow man?
Leonard Little has killed a person and got got driving drunk again yet gets a slap on the wrist.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 07-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #34
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

To be fair, we can talk in general about how it's unfair that some people end up worse for their errors than others, but in practice it doesn't really add up. If the NFL had caught Vick and that's all he had to answer to, he'd definitely be playing football again, like Pacman is now. I don't know the current state of Pacman's case but he doesn't have any friends pointing a finger at him. If it is eventually determined that he's at fault for the shooting, he'll be locked up regardless of whether he's elgible to play in the NFL or not.

I think the main confusion is b/c the simple act of bringing a dog from a different state to fight doesn't seem that much worse than fighting a dog that's already in the state, but it escalates any penalty when it becomes a federal offense. I think what Virginia is trying to do is messed up, but overall, as unfortunate as the sentence and end result of all of this seems, it's not really unreasonable.

Bottom line is if you take a risk that could get you in trouble with authority (boss, city, state, whatever) you better be prepared for the absolute worse case scenario b/c you've chosen to put that control in somebody else's hands.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #35
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

You guys just don't get it, do you? It's not about "dog fighting" only. It's about being involved in an illegal gambling ring. THAT is a federal offense. It's not just about dogs.

I woke up to ESPNews bottom line yesterday and I saw "Michael Vick files for bankruptcy."

I hadn't felt that happy about something like that in a long, long time. This idiot deserves everything he got. He had a $100 million contract, endorsements, and the whole NFL and its' fans in the palm of his hand. And because he couldn't get past the fact that he's a moron, he lost it all.

Last edited by TheMatrix31; 07-09-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #36
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Bottom line is if you take a risk that could get you in trouble with authority (boss, city, state, whatever) you better be prepared for the absolute worse case scenario b/c you've chosen to put that control in somebody else's hands.
I'd agree with that. I am not big on Virginia piling on, I think it's more a PR move than anything else. I think he's being punished as he should be. I think the bankruptcy thing smells like poor financial management more than anything else, although his incarceration and loss of future income certainly exacerbated that.

But it's like you said, if you are going to take certain risks, you have to be prepared to suffer the consequences if things go south.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I'd agree with that. I am not big on Virginia piling on, I think it's more a PR move than anything else. I think he's being punished as he should be. I think the bankruptcy thing smells like poor financial management more than anything else, although his incarceration and loss of future income certainly exacerbated that.

But it's like you said, if you are going to take certain risks, you have to be prepared to suffer the consequences if things go south.
Mike is way ahead of you. Why do you think he had the alias Ron Mexico?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #38
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek05
i mean i want to feel bad for him, but this is the guy who had a real life mcgyver contraption to hide his weed...
He's not the only one...when I was in Ocean City for senior week, several stores were selling them...as if we weren't supposed to get suspicious after seeing a bunch of soda bottles sitting on a shelf as opposed to in a refrigerator.

Anyway, this whole thing is a shame. I thought he was about to turn the corner as a quarterback, and then this whole thing comes out. I think he'll land a job in the NFL again, but his career (obviously) won't turn out as good as it could have been.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #39
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
I for one find it a shame that athletes have done far worse than Vick and received little to no punishment. Pac-man Jones was responisble, at least in part, for another man being shot and paralyzed. Not only that, but hitting women. Numerous players have been accused of rape, etc.

All of those are worse than dog fighting. Or have we gotten to the point to where we esteem Fido to be of more value than our fellow man?
Sigh........Please, remember, Jones, while a true piece of **** character, hasn't been convicted of anything. Vick, admitted that he broke the law, plead guilty to the crime, and has to serve the time. It wasn't like they invented the law just to punish Vick, nor was he able to plead ignorance. He knew what he did was wrong.....PERIOD.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #40
Pro

jmill703's Arena

OVR: 6

If I made the same amount of money Vick made over his short career, I'd be set for life...
Hell if I made the amount of money he'd make off of one year in the league, I'd be set for life. Because I know how to build wealth.
If you play atleast a year or two in any type of top notch pro league there is no reason to go broke in your life every again...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »