Home

If you could draft Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders and both were to be healthy...

This is a discussion on If you could draft Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders and both were to be healthy... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you rather draft a healthy Bo Jackson or a healthy Barry Sanders?
A RB like Bo Jackson who is healthy for 10 years 52 72.22%
A RB like Barry Sanders who is healthy for 10 years 20 27.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: If you could draft Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders and both were to be healthy...

Does Barry actually have a team around him for once? Is he on the great Dallas teams that won year after year in the 90's? Does he at least have a decent oline? If so I take Sanders, after watching his whole career when I lived in Michigan I know what a freak that guy was, and he did it with liitle to no help.

Last edited by SkunkWurks6; 07-10-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: If you could draft Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders and both were to be healthy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Unfortunately the poll doesn't really reflect the question exactly. Like everyone else, I'd definitely take Bo Jackson with a lock that he's healthy for 10 years.

But the question asks "a RB like Bo" vs "a RB like Barry". In that sense, I think I'd take the one like Barry unless we're also assuming that the guy wouldn't be allowed to be used out of the backfield. In today's NFL I think that's pretty big. Guess it also matters how the team is made up. For the Colts, definitely someone like Barry. For the Steelers, someone like Bo.
I don't get your point, Barry was not a real threat out of the backfield, it was one of weakest parts of his game. He wasn't terrible but he was no Marshall Faulk. Barry was just better, and did it with no help.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #27
Rookie

papasmurf's Arena

OVR: 2

bo jackson was a freak, he was sick. i never seen anyone with that speed and power in the same package. no doubt had he played a 16 game season he might of closed in on 2000 yds for a season. he also could of been a perrenial 40/40 man. as far as im concerned he's the best athlete i've seen in my lifetime as far as professional sports are concerned. i still remember that run against the seahawks on monday night football back in 87.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Bo Jackson hands down. Barry was way overrated. He couldn't get you the tough yard if your life depended on it. Trying to sustain a drive late in the game or score from the goalline with Barry in your backfield was an excercise in futility. Barry was best suited for 15 to 20 carries a game, Bo Jackson would get you 30 and have the defenders in pain late in the game.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #29
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWurks6
I don't get your point, Barry was not a real threat out of the backfield, it was one of weakest parts of his game. He wasn't terrible but he was no Marshall Faulk. Barry was just better, and did it with no help.
The poll says "a player like Barry Sanders". Barry wasn't used out of the backfield but if you're looking at a player "like" Barry in today's NFL you'd be crazy not to use them out of the backfield.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
The poll says "a player like Barry Sanders". Barry wasn't used out of the backfield but if you're looking at a player "like" Barry in today's NFL you'd be crazy not to use them out of the backfield.
Barry wasn't good at catching the ball and pretty much refused to practice that facet of his game. It would have been a no brainer to get him out into the flat and get him one on one with some LB or safety. So if you are saying the poll should now include a Barry Sanders that could catch the ball and was adept at running patterns you'd be looking at 2500 yards from scrimmage every year, but he still wouldn't give you the togh yard when you needed it. So I'd still give the nod to Bo.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

It's all about Bo Jackson, just check out these moves!!!

130th-Tony Hills RT:Athletic, workout warrior, room for growth
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #32
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Barry wasn't good at catching the ball and pretty much refused to practice that facet of his game. It would have been a no brainer to get him out into the flat and get him one on one with some LB or safety. So if you are saying the poll should now include a Barry Sanders that could catch the ball and was adept at running patterns you'd be looking at 2500 yards from scrimmage every year, but he still wouldn't give you the togh yard when you needed it. So I'd still give the nod to Bo.
I'm a huge fan of Bo and won't argue with you picking a player like him, but I don't think you're seeing what I'm saying.

Barry refused to practice that facet of his game as you said. When I think of a player "like" Barry, I guess I ignore that mentality, especially since in today's NFL that's so important. I think we agree that if Barry did practice that facet of his game he would've been sick... not that he couldn't do it, he didn't learn, right? So my player "like" Barry would be forced to add that to his game. I also disagree with Barry not being able to get the tough yards. He wasn't moving any piles like Bo but Barry did run between the tackles. He danced a lot, causing some minus yards but I'd like to analyze the overall situation to that. My guess is if he were afforded a team where he could spend the entire 2nd half just getting 3 yards a pop and leave the D to close games out, he could've done it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »