Home

Jags WR Matt Jones arrested on cocaine charges

This is a discussion on Jags WR Matt Jones arrested on cocaine charges within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Jags WR Matt Jones arrested on cocaine charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Im not sure if you guys have noticed this, but cocaine is probably just about is popular as pot in alot of places now a days.

It also seems to have lost its Stigma as an uber dangerous drug and something for losers.

Dont call it a comeback.
Wow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #26
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasysportsguy
Really? Seems like YOU are the one having issues understanding things, like when I said, "I'm not putting blinders on anything, in fact, my comment wasn't about the current state of athletes using drugs, it was more about his point that they (A) have nothing to spend money on, and (B) would choose to do drugs, once they got money. What is stopping them from getting a job at Burger King and getting high every night? Wealth has nothing to do with that."

Let me make it crystal clear for you; I do not have my head in the sand when it comes to young athletes doing drugs. Capice? My problem with his statement, as I have made clear, was his contention they have "nothing else to buy" and the implication he made that somehow these athletes WANT to get rich, just to be able to buy drugs, something they don't need to get rich to be able to do.

How is this difficult to understand? How is that somehow an incorrect assertion? Have you ever heard "buy drugs" as a reason someone wanted to get to professional sports?
You really don't know what you're talking about and appear too closed minded to listen to any explanation so this is my last post to you on this.

1) Cocaine is expensive. It's not weed or crack. Most of the circles that abuse cocaine are very wealthy young people, not workers at Burger King. The age and maturity of the people has a lot to do with it, as well as the amount of throw away money at their disposal. Doesn't matter if they're athletes, actors, entertainers or just brats who's parents have too much money to give them on a regular basis.

2) You made the assumption that his post was implicating that athletes want to get rich to buy drugs. It was pretty clear to me and I'm sure most others that it wasn't, but you jumped to that conclusion on your own. The original poster would have to say for sure, but it was pretty clear that he was saying he's not surprised about this because people often don't make good decisions when they get money at a young age.

3) The only reason I even responded was b/c of the unnecessary personal attack on the poster for voicing his opinion. Whether you don't agree with me or him, all that was unnecessary. There are no internet tough guy awards given out.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #27
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

And I wasn't seeking a "tough guy award". My post history shows I am not the kind of person that seeks trouble.

As I said, I used an illustration to point out the absurdity of his post, thats all. You may not have liked the way I illustrated it, but so be it.

You're jumping to a few conclusions here also, but enough of this being done publicly, if you have something to say to me, just take it to PM at this point.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #28
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

didn't think you were... kind of also what took me by surprise. maybe it's drug talk that pushes your button but I didn't think the guy deserved that.

anyway, no pm needed. i'll have a long distance brew with ya and call it a day.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #29
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Did you really just say that? So let me try and follow this rather.......interesting logic you have.

Guy gets good at football, gets drafted, makes a lot of money, thinks to himself, "Hmm, I don't know what to buy, oh, wait a minute, sure, I will go buy some Cocaine." That makes sense to you? Do you really think kids grow up wanting to be millionaires, just so they can buy drugs?

How old are you? Don't ya think with all the consumer products and other things available to the wealthy, that "buying drugs" is pretty far down on the list? I can just hear these guys now, "Yeah, I can't wait to get drafted and get a big contract so I can ruin my life, my family, and my career with drugs."
No. But kids like to do drugs. I dont care what you say, it happens. I have a lot of friends that had a seemingly endless amount of daddy's money. The majority of them spent it on drugs because a) they didnt really need anything else b) they are young and simply kids being kids.

I am not saying that every rich kid does drugs, but they have the resources and the means to obtain them if they wish.

Because you are in the NFL and "good at football" does not make you immune to any of the pitfalls that are bestowed upon us regular folk. The temptations are all there and , I am sorry, if you have the money and you have the temptation, you are going to bite.

Its not like my statement is so outlandish. How many NFL players have drug problems? You make it seem like Mr. Jones is the first young pro football player to be hit.

I think all the cars and other consumer products are boring to those who can have anything.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #30
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
1. I'm not angry so I don't need to "take it down a notch".
2. His comment was absurd, and as such, I pointed out the absurdity of it.
3. I'm not putting blinders on anything, in fact, my comment wasn't about the current state of athletes using drugs, it was more about his point that they (A) have nothing to spend money on, and (B) would choose to do drugs, once they got money. What is stopping them from getting a job at Burger King and getting high every night? Wealth has nothing to do with that.
I am not trying to start anything, but to think my statement is absurd is not justified. I never stated that their man goal was to get rich in the NFL so they can spend money on drugs. I am saying they have the means if the temptation is there and its a lot easier for them to get mixed up in bad stuff.

I should have said it like that and this would have been avoided.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #31
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddst34
No. But kids like to do drugs. I dont care what you say, it happens. I have a lot of friends that had a seemingly endless amount of daddy's money. The majority of them spent it on drugs because a) they didnt really need anything else b) they are young and simply kids being kids.

I am not saying that every rich kid does drugs, but they have the resources and the means to obtain them if they wish.

Because you are in the NFL and "good at football" does not make you immune to any of the pitfalls that are bestowed upon us regular folk. The temptations are all there and , I am sorry, if you have the money and you have the temptation, you are going to bite.

Its not like my statement is so outlandish. How many NFL players have drug problems? You make it seem like Mr. Jones is the first young pro football player to be hit.

I think all the cars and other consumer products are boring to those who can have anything.
The things you are passing off as facts are easily refuted, and I think you know that. There are millions of people of wealth that DON't succumb to "temptations" such as drugs, and never will. Athlete or not, I don't believe that wealth increases your likelyhood of being a drug abuser. If anything, the inverse is true, as you can see by so many of our inner cities, where poverty and social ills do contribute to the drug problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #32
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
didn't think you were... kind of also what took me by surprise. maybe it's drug talk that pushes your button but I didn't think the guy deserved that.

anyway, no pm needed. i'll have a long distance brew with ya and call it a day.
It probably is. I have an issue with people making excuses out of using drugs, which is what prompted my initial reply. Not gonna go into details, but I've got some experiences that have molded my stern opinion when it comes to people that use drugs.

I consider you a buddy on here and I hope this didn't jeopardize our ability to be friendly with each other.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »