Home

NFL Players throwing GANG SIGNS!!!!!! During Games???

This is a discussion on NFL Players throwing GANG SIGNS!!!!!! During Games??? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NFL Players throwing GANG SIGNS!!!!!! During Games???

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I'd venture to guess that over 95% of nfl players are college grads.
You would also be completely wrong.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #26
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I'd venture to guess that over 95% of nfl players are college grads. How on earth would someone that goes to college choose to be in a gang. It makes no sense to me, if you're educated, you know that street gangs are social cancers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
You would also be completely wrong.
The % of Div I-FBS players who obtain degrees has hovered around 50-55% for years, but most of those who do don't go on to the pros. The % of NFL players who have completed their degrees has been reported to be as low as 20% (see http://www.fdu.edu/newspubs/magazine/01su/giant.html ).
Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #27
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I'd venture to guess that over 95% of nfl players are college grads. How on earth would someone that goes to college choose to be in a gang. It makes no sense to me, if you're educated, you know that street gangs are social cancers.
Much like the life of a college grad that goes and works for Proctor and Gamble vs the grad that goes on to play in the NFL, it's a different world. There are PLENTY of college football players who aren't really going to college in the way you're thinking about the experience. Hell they're even getting paid to skip classes, party and play football.

As for the gang signs, when did "West Coast" become a gang? I guess they're going to crack down on moving your hands in any way. God forbid a player has a deaf child he wants to say hi to after scoring.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #28
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

I think they would probably be able to give a guy trying to communicate with his deaf child a pass.

If this is indeed an issue in the NFL, I would guess they are going to have a good idea of what they are looking for and will "know it when they see it".
Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #29
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
The % of Div I-FBS players who obtain degrees has hovered around 50-55% for years, but most of those who do don't go on to the pros. The % of NFL players who have completed their degrees has been reported to be as low as 20% (see http://www.fdu.edu/newspubs/magazine/01su/giant.html ).
I should have left out the 'grad' part. when you see a game it's always 'joe blow - the U' etc.

and for what wwharton said, I really hope that's a minority and not the norm. That's really sad, and there is simply no way that should be tolerated.

I went to McGill University in Montreal, and I know the school turned down tons of money while I was there from drug companies because of fears that private funding could influence research - Universities and thier employees are held to a higher standard of ethics, so this paying players crap should never ever happen. I know it does but it's shameful, and I don't understand how it continues to happen, and how these schools aren't busted regularly.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #30
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

This is not necessary at all. Even if these guys are affiliated they aren't going to commit any crimes on the field or put someone else in danger. And lots of sign language are also some gangs gang signs so how do you determine which one they're doing?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #31
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I should have left out the 'grad' part. when you see a game it's always 'joe blow - the U' etc.

and for what wwharton said, I really hope that's a minority and not the norm. That's really sad, and there is simply no way that should be tolerated.

I went to McGill University in Montreal, and I know the school turned down tons of money while I was there from drug companies because of fears that private funding could influence research - Universities and thier employees are held to a higher standard of ethics, so this paying players crap should never ever happen. I know it does but it's shameful, and I don't understand how it continues to happen, and how these schools aren't busted regularly.
Reality is reality. I don't know much about schools in Canada but there's no question academics are more of a focus for student athletes than basketball and football players at major schools in the States. Boosters paying these players under the table is as common as under aged college kids drinking alcohol.

Also, if you take of the "grad" part of your statement and it's an even bigger gap between the average college student and the big time athlete. These kids are chosen to go to these schools b/c they can play football. The only responsible thing they have to do to that point in their life is go to high school. Any drug dealing, gang banging, etc. that they do outside of actually going to HS so they can put on their football uniform means absolutely nothing. Scouts are looking at game film and stats. College to them is the same as everyone else... a path to the job of their dreams. But that job is to play in the NFL and there is no prep work that requires them to stop doing illegal activities while in college, besides not getting caught.

Unfortunate, but true.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #32
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275
This is not necessary at all. Even if these guys are affiliated they aren't going to commit any crimes on the field or put someone else in danger. And lots of sign language are also some gangs gang signs so how do you determine which one they're doing?
I think that is the point of bringing the "expert" in.

Lets take a step back though......it is NOT good to have players in ANY sport have gang affiliations. There are few things as destructive (towards youth) in America's major cities than gangs. The absolute last thing the NFL wants, or American society needs, are our professional athletes giving positive exposure to gangs.

If you had children, and maybe you do, you would understand, but do you want to have to explain to your son or daughter that the sign that "player X" just gave is his "street gang" sign? Come on now...think about this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »