Home

Army Forces Capmbell to Give Up Football

This is a discussion on Army Forces Capmbell to Give Up Football within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #49
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Army Forces Capmbell to Give Up Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMurdock311
I don't see what the big deal is, possibly because I spent 5 years in the military. David Robinson served his 2 years in the Navy after the Academy and his career was fine. Anyone that goes to a service academy knows that they will have to serve their least 2 years.

EDIT - Great Post Jackdog
The point is that they told him he could serve his two years as a recruiter while persuing his NFL career.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #50
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

If you know anything about the armed services, you know they tell soldiers things all the time and have that change at the drop of a dime. You may think this is different b/c it's policy but I'm sure the policy change had to do with the war we're currently in, which is the same as every other situation when it happens. It's not a "you have to work for this job over that job" type of thing. It's "you have to serve your country"... no other obligation really matters. Even if the rules hadn't been changed he could've been pulled from a team at any time anyway.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 6

if anything the Detroit lions should sue the us goverment for changing its policy and asking for a compensory pick next season. serving our country i can see that is why he did go to the academy knowing what he would have to commit to. but he was told that if he made the team he could serve as a recruiter and the goverment backed out of its word.
if you asked me if they felt they needed to change policy then they should just have anounced it without effecting campbell. if anything they made themself look bad by reversing there own decision as well prolly lost some of the kids who might have signed with navy or army knowing that if there good enough they would get a chance. lets get real here wouldnt he better servre our country being a recruiter or as a pro athlete being able to tell kids all your dreams can come true they did for me rather than say oh i was told i could but they lied to me and now i got to go to iraq and try not to get killed but for sure my pro days are over cause nobody is going to want a 7th rd draft pick 2-3 yrs down the road.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #52
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
The Army paid for his school, trained him, and taught him. Every other recruit has to do they same thing he is doing right now. I see 0 problem in this at all.

Same here. No problem with it. Things change, pick it up, drive on.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #53
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Same here. No problem with it. Things change, pick it up, drive on.
Everyone is complaining about it but Campbell. Campbell is doing just what you're saying.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #54
Rookie

HMMurdock311's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
If you know anything about the armed services, you know they tell soldiers things all the time and have that change at the drop of a dime. You may think this is different b/c it's policy but I'm sure the policy change had to do with the war we're currently in, which is the same as every other situation when it happens. It's not a "you have to work for this job over that job" type of thing. It's "you have to serve your country"... no other obligation really matters. Even if the rules hadn't been changed he could've been pulled from a team at any time anyway.
Exactly, Thanks for covering that for me. You said it better than I could.

Things change all the time in the military. Anytime there is a change of command somewhere things often change. I was told when I joined the Air Force I'd be learning a job in computers. Well, when I got through basic they had me assigned to E.O.D. But during the course of basic it was stressed that things can/will change and change often in the best interest of the military.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #55
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrob
if anything the Detroit lions should sue the us goverment for changing its policy

Please, please, please tell me you are joking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #56
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

This has nothing to do with Campbell and everything to do with not setting up the DOD for lawsuits. What happens if there is someone who is great at Computer Programming, Networking, or Circuitry and Microsoft wanted to higher them. Shouldn't they be allowed to work as a recruiter and work at Microsoft? What if there was a great doctor who could work as a researcher at a drug company. Shouldn't they be allowed to go and work for them? Then this opens it up even further for the people who don't have any special talents and say why shouldn't I be able to work as a recruiter and stay in the USA and work whatever other job they could.

This was going to open up a can of worms that the DOD didn't want to deal with. It would have basically proven preferential treatment and led to people being able to sign up for whatever job they wanted and if they didn't get it, they would then have to be released from their contract.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »