Home

AFC Playoff Teams

This is a discussion on AFC Playoff Teams within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #33
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: AFC Playoff Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Texans and Titans could take a step forward but aren't ready yet and play in a tough division. Bills and Jets are in the same boat.
Really? The Titans are 8-4 in the division the past two seasons. The last 4 meeting with the Colts are split 2-2 (2-1 Colts if you don't want to count week 17 last season). The total score of the last 4 meetings with the Colts is 69-63 Titans way (53-53, ditto). The Jags is similiar; 2-2 (but a larger score differene Jags way due to the 06 blow out).

The Jags record over the past two seasons is 19-13, the Titans is 18-14. Playoffs wise, it's 1-1, 0-1 respectively. I get why the Jags are considered a better team, because they are (I'd say one season further along than the Titans development wise), but the respect given between the two is night and day. The difference really isn't as apparent as many seem to suggest.

If Haynesworth is back in form, and in camp every indication suggests he is already, the Titans D is a legit #1 overall contender. Over the past 4 games, the Titans have proven they can handle the Colts. The Titans offense only upgraded in the offseason (a fact lost in the tired "they didn't get a WR in the 1st round AGAIN argument"). The loss on the DL is questionable given LaBoy and Odom were both role players on the same line as two pro bowlers. Don't be shocked if the AFC South is considered tough because of the Titans by season's end, not regardless of them.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #34
Legend in the making...

CallMeDrop's Arena

OVR: 9

Titans haven't made any offensive upgrades and the Browns will be taking their spot even though they play against the toughest division in football...(NFC East)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #35
Nza
MVP

No offense upgrades? Crumpler is a significant upgrade at TE. He is one season out of pro bowl form and that was due to a minor injury, and he still did some good stuff in 07 anyway on probably the worst circumstances an NFL team has had for decades. He seems 100% in camp. Chris Johnson adds a dimension the Titans have never had on offense since the move 10 years ago. And finally, Norm Chow, who simply wasn't an NFL grade OC, is being replaced by the proven Mike Heimerdinger, who was very effective in his first stint as OC in Tennessee, only leaving to pursue HC positions which didn't work out. The offense is definitely upgraded on paper, and that's what seems to form most opinions at this point in time.

The Browns need a defense before they start seriously thinking about playoffs. On the other hand, average offense and top defense is a proven way to deep playoffs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #36
Legend in the making...

CallMeDrop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
No offense upgrades? Crumpler is a significant upgrade at TE. He is one season out of pro bowl form and that was due to a minor injury, and he still did some good stuff in 07 anyway on probably the worst circumstances an NFL team has had for decades. He seems 100% in camp. Chris Johnson adds a dimension the Titans have never had on offense since the move 10 years ago. And finally, Norm Chow, who simply wasn't an NFL grade OC, is being replaced by the proven Mike Heimerdinger, who was very effective in his first stint as OC in Tennessee, only leaving to pursue HC positions which didn't work out. The offense is definitely upgraded on paper, and that's what seems to form most opinions at this point in time.

The Browns need a defense before they start seriously thinking about playoffs. On the other hand, average offense and top defense is a proven way to deep playoffs.

Crumpler will definitely help but personally, I don't think that they will have a better team than the Browns though. Vince Young needs more weapons. Roydell Willimas, Alge Crumpler and Chris Johnson isn't as good as Derek Anderson, J. Lewis, Kellen winslow, Stallworth, Braylon Edwards, etc. Titans and the Browns had the exact same record last year. This year Browns get the edge.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #37
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

wwharton, we are just going to have to agree to disagree I guess. For your sake, I hope you're right.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #38
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropseven
Crumpler will definitely help but personally, I don't think that they will have a better team than the Browns though. Vince Young needs more weapons. Roydell Willimas, Alge Crumpler and Chris Johnson isn't as good as Derek Anderson, J. Lewis, Kellen winslow, Stallworth, Braylon Edwards, etc. Titans and the Browns had the exact same record last year. This year Browns get the edge.
And yet you entirely ignore defense, which has proven to be a far more effective tool come playoffs?

I wasn't even talking about the Browns anyway, I was talking about how the AFC South is apparently too tough for Tennessee, and how the Jags are perceived so much better despite basically identical seasons to the Titans over these past two years. The Jags are the ones who should be concerned about the South, their record in it shows they may have troubles beating divisional rivals enough to win it.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #39
Legend in the making...

CallMeDrop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
And yet you entirely ignore defense, which has proven to be a far more effective tool come playoffs?

I wasn't even talking about the Browns anyway, I was talking about how the AFC South is apparently too tough for Tennessee, and how the Jags are perceived so much better despite basically identical seasons to the Titans over these past two years. The Jags are the ones who should be concerned about the South, their record in it shows they may have troubles beating divisional rivals enough to win it.

Gotcha...the Browns have improved on the defensive side of the ball as well. The Jags have improved on offense tremendously and their defense is always good. They will fight the Colts for the division this year. Colts will still win it though.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #40
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropseven
Gotcha...the Browns have improved on the defensive side of the ball as well. The Jags have improved on offense tremendously and their defense is always good. They will fight the Colts for the division this year. Colts will still win it though.
Oh, well I guess we should let everyone in the AFC South know the results have already been predetermined then, seems pointless to play the season now.....

And as for the Browns D, it has improved as a result of this offseason as much as the Titans offense has improved as a result of this offseason, i.e., unknown. Could be a lot, could be little, could be mysteriously worse off.

And how have the Jags offense improved "tremendously"? Porter? Williamson? Or does Freddie T actually get better as he gets older?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »