Home

Tony Kornheiser is an idiot

This is a discussion on Tony Kornheiser is an idiot within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #25
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Tony Kornheiser is an idiot

Personally, I don't blame Kornheiser for the fact that MNF is almost unwatchable these days. After all he's just doing what he was hired to do. The blame lies with the collective heads of knuckle running ESPN. They seem to be unaware that it is no longer 1985.

ESPN still using trying to use ABC's approach to MNF (i.e. trying to draw in casual viewers by emphasizing the personalities of the announcing team in an attempt to make the broadcast "entertaining"). That approach stopped working for ABC 15-20 years ago, which is why MNF's ratings went into a steady decline. Eventually the network decided it was no longer worth the money so they made the decision to let the MNF package go.

Here's what I don't understand about ESPN's approach to it's NFL broadcasts:if making the games a "show" didn't work for an over the air network, what chance does a cable sports network (with it's smaller number of potential viewers) have to draw in casual viewers?

ESPN should forget the cult of personality stuff and just treat MNF like they do any other football broadcast, i.e. a two man booth with the focus on the game itself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #26
Rookie

thiefinthenight's Arena

OVR: 4

Any body think that the MNF commentary team of Nessler, Jaws, and Dick Vermeil those few games were the best you've heard in a while?

And as much as I like Jaws, I think his favorite phrase has got to be, "When I studied the tape of...."
Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #27
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

I agree thief, THAT is the team that needs to be doing MNF. Nessler, as much as I love him for CFB, needs a promotion and is ready to headline the NFL stuff. I like Tirico and Jaws, but Kornheiser is a tool and just tries to be controversial and assholish to cover for his complete lack of football knowledge.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #28
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiefinthenight
Any body think that the MNF commentary team of Nessler, Jaws, and Dick Vermeil those few games were the best you've heard in a while?
They were very good but one huge knock against them is that they were a bit on the plain side. It didn't help that the PBP guy is so identified with college football that it felt like a step above a big College game. If they were just a LITTLE more colorful then i'd given that crew a ringing endorsement. The problem is ESPN has taken it to the other extreme with crazy personalities.

BTW coogrfan I agree to an extent with your assessment but MNF was still the #1 rated show (or thereabouts) at the end of the '96 season which was the last of the Al, Frank and Dan triumvirate. If Gifford and Dierdorf were younger I bet they'd STILL be in the booth with Michaels today on ABC.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #29
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

MNF will be horrible. I can't stand this dude on PTI
Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275
MNF will be horrible. I can't stand this dude on PTI
Is there anything more iritating than an overly opinionated northeastern accent for 3+ hours?

He's sounds like a bald Rosie O'Donnell.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #31
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Is there anything more iritating than an overly opinionated northeastern accent for 3+ hours?

Yeah. An overly opinionated Dallas fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #32
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Maybe they should throw in Dickie V as a sideline reporter. That's the missing piece to the broadcast team. LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »