Home

Everyone is still sleeping on the Champs. lol

This is a discussion on Everyone is still sleeping on the Champs. lol within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Everyone is still sleeping on the Champs. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I don't see how you can consider them different, honestly. The Superbowl is a very important game but it's still just one game. I'd give more weight to your argument if it were the World Series or NBA Finals (or Stanley Cup) b/c they are series. Yes, the Pats won 18 straight games and even if they didn't win ALL of their games they'd still be considered a great team, but if Baltimore didn't call a timeout they would've beaten them. Would that make Baltimore better than NE last year? The Giants deserve credit because they won the Superbowl... but that's it. That's a lot but they don't get any more credit because of who they beat. In the NFL just about any team can beat any other team on any day... especially any playoff team. They get credit for getting the job done but why does that erase their regular season where they barely made the playoffs? I don't think even the craziest Giants fans (not saying you're one of them) would say they were a better team than NE last year overall... if you're not going to say that, you can't give them partial credit for beating NE.
The Giants have to get a "bit" more credit because of who they beat. They beat the undefeated team that would have been dubbed "Best Team Ever" by a LOT of people had they won the Superbowl. The fact that NE lost makes their undefeated season practically meaningless and the Giants "decent" season, because of the Superbowl run, goes from "decent" to magical. Last season is one that Giants fans will talk about forever, while the New England season will be one that is comparible to a scar that you have after you fell off of your bike. It's there, it's noticeable, but you really don't want to talk about it.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #66
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

+10

I think people's main beef is that some fans are mad that we aren't considering the Giants a GREAT team. Like you said, last season(especially the playoff run)is something that Giants fans will probably NEVER forget and will talk about forever. But I don't think nobody is going to call them a GREAT team just because of that ONE game.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
+10

I think people's main beef is that some fans are mad that we aren't considering the Giants a GREAT team. Like you said, last season(especially the playoff run)is something that Giants fans will probably NEVER forget and will talk about forever. But I don't think nobody is going to call them a GREAT team just because of that ONE game.

The Giants team of last year sits with the Steeler team of a couple years ago, the Bucs team of a couple years ago and maybe a TAD bit above them on the list because of who they beat.

They aren't the 85 Bears, the 89 49ers or the 78 Steelers....
Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #68
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangauler
The Giants team of last year sits with the Steeler team of a couple years ago, the Bucs team of a couple years ago and maybe a TAD bit above them on the list because of who they beat.

I agree with that. The Giants had a great run in last year's playoffs. However, they weren't a juggernaut that steamrolled through the regular season on their way to the SB (as the Pats would have been, had they won). Either way, as a Giants fan, I am extremely happy with last year's championship and look forward to what this team can do, this year. Should be another competitive year in the NFL.

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #69
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
You're the only one that called them average... showing your true feelings? BTW, what you said was it's more important for a bunch of people you don't really know to think the Giants are great than for them to win the Superbowl this year. My response was "wow"... and there's absolutely nothing that will change that. I have never seen a fan of your caliber before. It's like you're such a homer that you went past the pinnacle and started back down again on the other side.
I called them great and people reacted like i called them the best team of all time... so i read between the lines and said average at best.

Im not exactly sure what your talking about. My team won the super bowl last year therefore they get a pass for the next five. Would love to see them win 2 in a row but if they don't its ok. I believe they're a top tier team this year, no one else really does.

Therefore AT THIS POINT i'd rather see them beat the cowboys twice this year and win the division so people will finally see they're the best team in the NFC east. I don't see anything wrong with that.

To BK: I've only really started posting on the pro football forums so i have no clue what previoius Giants fans have posted. Up until this point there was no reason to brag about our team. Last year the Giants won the Super Bowl..... Im not sure about you but to me that sounds like a Solid foundation to build on to have a successful season this year.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #70
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
\Im not sure about you but to me that sounds like a Solid foundation to build on to have a successful season this year.
I am not sure why. NFL history is littered with teams who won or made it to the SB only to fall back the next year. Winning a SB the previous year has zero bearing on the following year.

Props to the Giants last year for winning the chip, but you can't complain about lack of respect this year, when they haven't even played a game that counts this year. It's a whole new season and in todays salary cap driven league it's all about the here and now.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #71
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangauler

I don't disagree. I think with the Salary cap and Free agency the true dynasties like the 70's Steelers are a thing of the past.

I'd put them in the same category of teams you have them in. Personally I'd have them slightly ahead of that Steeler team and just behind the Bucs team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #72
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I am not sure why. NFL history is littered with teams who won or made it to the SB only to fall back the next year. Winning a SB the previous year has zero bearing on the following year.

Props to the Giants last year for winning the chip, but you can't complain about lack of respect this year, when they haven't even played a game that counts this year. It's a whole new season and in todays salary cap driven league it's all about the here and now.
And you don't have to look far for an example...the 2007 Bears. Repeating is one of the most difficult things to do at the pro or college level...so many things have to go right. Not saying the GMen won't repeat, but I would say the odds are against it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »