Home

What's Wrong with Matt Leinart?

This is a discussion on What's Wrong with Matt Leinart? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34
Re: What's Wrong with Matt Leinart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Guy has played 14 games. He played very well as a rookie, and got hurt last year, and he's a bust.

Wow.
BK, you know he is part of the same clique that go into every thread that deals with a USC player and trashes them. It never fails and it is very petty.

I'm not going to sit here and suck up to Leinart, though. I do remember having my doubts about him and where his mind was when he decided to come back for his last year, when he already graduated. That showed me plenty, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
Mr. Brightside

Acid's Arena

OVR: 52

Too much Arizona vag.

I don't blame him.
But we all live in denial
Old 08-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
BK, you know he is part of the same clique that go into every thread that deals with a USC player and trashes them. It never fails and it is very petty.

I'm not going to sit here and suck up to Leinart, though. I do remember having my doubts about him and where his mind was when he decided to come back for his last year, when he already graduated. That showed me plenty, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Yup I know the type. As a Miami fan, I am sure you do as well.

Your assesment of Leinart is fair enough. I think expectations may have gotten set a little high after the way he played as a rookie.

I also think he's one of those guys who has to be in the right system to be succesful. But as we all know if you don't put in the time, you'll never be succesful at this level, and it sounds to me like he's not dedicated.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 30

A combination of Leinart not being very good and Kurt Warner being better.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #21
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12

Well, Warner did have a pretty good season last year. Probably better than the Cards expected. Guessing the Cards are going to try to win now, and put in Leinart if the season starts heading south.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #22
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Like others have said, the guy just doesnt have the work ethic or mentality to be a NFL QB, even before he was hurt, and 'starting' they brought in Warner to run the Hurry up and goal line Off. 'cause he couldnt wrap his head around the playbook.
and seeing that the 37 yr old warner is getting the start, calling him a 'bust' aint really a reach...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #23

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Guy has played 14 games. He played very well as a rookie, and got hurt last year, and he's a bust.

Wow.
Just for curiosity purposes, how could Leinarts performance as a rookie be considered very good? He threw more picks then TD's (12-11) that year and to me that isnt anywhere near very good. I get that he was a rookie and there are growing pains but he has yet to show anything to make anyone believe that he can be a consistent starting QB in this league. I also understand that there are other variables to throw in as well but nobody gets those excuses given to them and Leinart shouldnt be the first either, Alex Smith lost his starting job because he couldnt grasp the playbook, Joey Harrington has been passed around the league because he never panned out in Detroit and there are other QB's who suffer the same fate. The NFL is an ever changing league and if you dont adapt quickly enough then you get pushed to the side, maybe Leinart will turn it around once he gets away from the cancer that is the Cardinals organization but I have my doubts.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
Just for curiosity purposes, how could Leinarts performance as a rookie be considered very good? He threw more picks then TD's (12-11) that year and to me that isnt anywhere near very good. I get that he was a rookie and there are growing pains but he has yet to show anything to make anyone believe that he can be a consistent starting QB in this league. I also understand that there are other variables to throw in as well but nobody gets those excuses given to them and Leinart shouldnt be the first either, Alex Smith lost his starting job because he couldnt grasp the playbook, Joey Harrington has been passed around the league because he never panned out in Detroit and there are other QB's who suffer the same fate. The NFL is an ever changing league and if you dont adapt quickly enough then you get pushed to the side, maybe Leinart will turn it around once he gets away from the cancer that is the Cardinals organization but I have my doubts.
I was going on watching him play. How many rookies that just get tossed out there throw more TD's than picks? Remember when Eli got thrown to the wolves? Or Vince Young's TD to INT ratio last year? Have you seen Steve Young or John Elway's TD to INT ratio's their first couple years, or Peyton Mannings?

He played very well against a dominant Bears defense on national TV in his first ever start.

He led them to 2 comebacks that fell short when Neil Rackers missed makable field goals,he threw for over 400 yards in a game vs. the Vikings, etc.

Guy has 489 pass attempts in his career, and it's apparent most haven't even seen him play (which is probably due to the Cards not being on national TV much), and people want to label him a bust. I don't get it.

I don't get why people label a QB a bust after 12 or 13 starts. Or even 25 starts for that matter.

You say he's yet to show anything, really? So you watched the Minny game in 2006? You watched the comeback in KC that year as well? Or the Seattle game?

Last edited by bkrich83; 08-25-2008 at 05:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »