Home

Week 2 Baltimore Ravens @ Houston Texans

This is a discussion on Week 2 Baltimore Ravens @ Houston Texans within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15
Week 2 Baltimore Ravens @ Houston Texans

It’s week 2, and it’s another team from the AFC North. We were pretty much used and abused by Pittsburgh in every aspect of the game last week. I didn’t see much of Baltimore, but it looks like the defense completely shut down Cincy, while the offense got 2 big plays to pull out the win.

Ok, bad news first. Baltimore’s defense is every bit a good as Pittsburgh’s, if not better. Houston couldn’t get anything going at all last week until the game was all but over in the 4th quarter. It won’t be any easier this week. The Ravens will create just as much pressure against our small o-line and Schaub, and they have a better secondary. If they force Schaub into the same bad mistakes that the Steelers did, it could be a long day. The best thing the Texans can do to slow down Baltimore’s pass rush is to run the ball well. Guess what? Ahman Green is out (again), leaving us with Slaton and Taylor to carry the ball. They might bring Walker off the practice squad, but none of those three guys have played a full season.

There is some good news. The Texans defense should be able to handle the Ravens offense. This will be Flacco’s first road game, and that should rattle him a little bit. If that doesn’t Mario Williams will. Mario is picking up right where he left off last season. He had 2 sacks and a few tackles behind the LOS. Looks like McGahee will be back this week, but I don't think he will be at full potential in his first game back. Rice will also be in his first road game, but between the two of them they should be able to get something going.

In general, I see both offenses struggling and I could see either team winning. It should be a low scoring game with lots of big plays on defense. I’ll take the Las Vegas approach that the home team gets an automatic 3 points.

Houston 16
Baltimore 13
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Week 2 Baltimore Ravens @ Houston Texans

Pretty good breakdown. One big problem with your analysis is that the Ravens D (banged up and all) haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 20 games. Houston won't have much success on the ground. If given time, they may be able to do a bit through the air. CMac and Rolle are banged up and Rolle's a bit long in the tooth. Washington will be back but also just coming off of injury. If somehow that line can hold off Pryce and Suggs and pick up on Ryan's schemes there may be a big play or two through the air. Slaton may be able to break one too but wouldn't bank on it.

The Ravens game was pretty much as you described. A lot of running, 2 big plays on offense and the D handling things. Houston's D will be a lot better than Cincy, and in their home opener. Just like last game, it'll come down to whether or not Flacco can move the chains a bit and not turn the ball over. We'll see.

Very close one to call here so I'll use being a Ravens fan as the tie breaker.

Ravens 17
Texans 13
Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

Well there's a pretty good chance they won't be kicking off at Relaint Stadium at 3:15 Sunday. Hurricane Ike is bearing down on the Texas coast, and any way it goes Houston is going to get significant rain & winds over the weekend. Most of the high school and college games scheduled in the Houston are are being cancelled, rescheduled or moved. With Ike expected to make landfall Saturday morning, there's a very slim chance of anything going on at all in the Houston area this weekend. We still haven't heard anything from the Texans or the NFL, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Well I wouldn't complain about an extra home game (even if it was bc of such a horrible reason... since Katrina I always hold my breath when I hear of hurricanes hitting land. I admittedly didn't respect them enough considering we don't get too much damage from them in Baltimore).
Old 09-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Well I wouldn't complain about an extra home game (even if it was bc of such a horrible reason... since Katrina I always hold my breath when I hear of hurricanes hitting land. I admittedly didn't respect them enough considering we don't get too much damage from them in Baltimore).
Is that the standard protocol when things like this happen, the home team becomes the away team and travels to their opponents stadium? I thought they usually just have them play in a stadium nearby that is not in harms way. Is there any chance the game will be delayed past Sunday?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

I'm not sure there is a protocal actually. They asked Neal about it on the radio yesterday and his statement was basically we need to prepare like it's a business trip and not think about the chance that it may be a home game. I don't know any more about it than that. I think with the time available coming to Baltimore makes more sense than trying to find something not too far but far enough to be out of harm's way. Hopefully they can just play in Houston and things don't get too bad.

I'd be SHOCKED if the game wasn't played on Sunday.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

Hopefully. There are other options such as playing in San Antonio, Dallas, or NOLA. There hasn't been a mention of playing on Monday however.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2..._texansra.html

As os right now, it's game on!
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »