Home

Alex Smith Put On IR

This is a discussion on Alex Smith Put On IR within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #25
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Alex Smith Put On IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
This is pretty much just a fantasy of mine but I wouldnt mind reading other people's opinions and thoughts.
I'm going to guess you've been playing a lot of NFL Head Coach 09 lately.

Going along with what you've proposed:

-Manny Lawson did play DE for NC State, so the possibility to move him on the line should the Niners go 4-3 in the near future is there. Dunno what you all's situation at LB is beyond him and Willis, though.

-I'm pretty sure that Holmgren isn't going to be around next season to coach any team; he has said he wants to take a sabbatical of sorts.

-Not sure I would release O'Sullivan if you're gonna attempt to get rid of all those draft picks; there's no guarantee that Arizona or Cleveland will give you Leinart or Quinn, respectibly.

-On the same note, I take it no one in this upcoming draft class impresses you?

-Not sure that the Lions wouldn't tag Roy Williams. Even Matt Millen isn't that stupid, is he? If he does get tagged, it's gonna take a fair amount of trade ammo and money to get him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 12

Some ideas there.

Holmgren is supposedly going to take time off.

Yeah get rid of Nolan but remember when we were interviewing and there weren't too many coaches interested in coming here.

York will probably have to overpay someone. Maybe throw $25-30 million at Cowher. Or maybe someone like Shottenheimer is hungry to get back into the game. I don't know about picking an assistant again. Certainly not a guy who's been an assistant for 20 years like Nolan was.

As for Smith, he's gone. And supposedly it would be better for the cap number to cut him in June. 49ers owe him no favors. He got $24 million, he doesn't have to play again. If he wants to, fine but we have no obligation to help him get on the team he wants.

I don't know about Quinn either, certainly not for a first-round pick which will probably be higher than the pick the Browns used to get Quinn. If we end up with a top 10 pick, no way we give that up for Quinn.

JTO is getting the vet minimum. Unless he lights it up, he's going to be cheap next year too (and if he lights it up, it's a nice problem to have, to give him more money). As long as he's not a complete disaster, keep him for another year so that you can draft a QB (not in the first round) and start grooming someone.

Roy Williams is an intriguing idea but if he looks for something like Fitzgerald money, forget it. Actually Boldin would be good but he probably is looking for that kind of money.

A lot of these personnel changes will be made by the new coach. If we have another 6-win or worse season, no doubt there will be wholesale personnel changes.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #27
Banned

Yeah Cards aren't going to trade Leinart to a team in their own division.

Boldin though is probably going to force their hand. They may not trade him to a team in their own division, regardless.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #28
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Is it safe to call him a bust yet?
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 09-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
I'm going to guess you've been playing a lot of NFL Head Coach 09 lately.

Going along with what you've proposed:

-Manny Lawson did play DE for NC State, so the possibility to move him on the line should the Niners go 4-3 in the near future is there. Dunno what you all's situation at LB is beyond him and Willis, though.

-I'm pretty sure that Holmgren isn't going to be around next season to coach any team; he has said he wants to take a sabbatical of sorts.

-Not sure I would release O'Sullivan if you're gonna attempt to get rid of all those draft picks; there's no guarantee that Arizona or Cleveland will give you Leinart or Quinn, respectibly.

-On the same note, I take it no one in this upcoming draft class impresses you?

-Not sure that the Lions wouldn't tag Roy Williams. Even Matt Millen isn't that stupid, is he? If he does get tagged, it's gonna take a fair amount of trade ammo and money to get him.
I dont have any next gen systems so no, I havent been playing HC 2009 even though I was tempted to buy the first one but people said not to waste the money.

Yeah, I know about Lawson being a DE in college and a good one but at 240lbs, is he strong enough to actually be a 4-3 DE every play? I woulnt have a problem with him playing DE but if I can get Suggs, I would leave him at OLB.

Holmgren said he doesnt want to coach next year but that remains to be seen. Give him $10m a year and a return to SF, there's a good chance he'll still coach.

Sullivan cant be resigned until FA starts and there's no way in hell I use the franchise tag on him. There's a reason why he's been a journeyman - its because he sucks. i dont care how he does this season, I let his *** leave. Bye bye.

True, no guarantee about Quinn or Leinart but eventually, Quinn will want a chance to start and unless Anderson sucks this year, I dont see it happening in CLE. Leinart wasnt drafted by the current regime and just by going with Warner as the starter, it shows that they would probably trade him if they were to receive a good offer. Getting back the first rounder that they used on him is a god offer.

The upcoming draft class regarding QB's doesnt impress me at all. Its looking like 2005 all over again and I wouldnt want to gamble on a rookie. At least Quinn and Leinart have experience. Add in Holmgren who has a history of developing QB's and an OC who isnt going anywhere and we'll be a better situation compared to drafting a QB.

I wouldnt mind paying Roy Williams. Think of it this way, the money that gets saved by releasing Smith later on could just be used on Williams. Also, factor in the saved money from the other veterans being released. Trading away the first three rounds of draft picks for a QB and a WR is risky but less so than drafting another QB and then waiting for him to develop if he ever does. I would rather trade for Quinn/Leinart and Williams than wasting draft picks on players who have to learn from day one.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Some ideas there.

Holmgren is supposedly going to take time off.

Yeah get rid of Nolan but remember when we were interviewing and there weren't too many coaches interested in coming here.

York will probably have to overpay someone. Maybe throw $25-30 million at Cowher. Or maybe someone like Shottenheimer is hungry to get back into the game. I don't know about picking an assistant again. Certainly not a guy who's been an assistant for 20 years like Nolan was.

As for Smith, he's gone. And supposedly it would be better for the cap number to cut him in June. 49ers owe him no favors. He got $24 million, he doesn't have to play again. If he wants to, fine but we have no obligation to help him get on the team he wants.

I don't know about Quinn either, certainly not for a first-round pick which will probably be higher than the pick the Browns used to get Quinn. If we end up with a top 10 pick, no way we give that up for Quinn.

JTO is getting the vet minimum. Unless he lights it up, he's going to be cheap next year too (and if he lights it up, it's a nice problem to have, to give him more money). As long as he's not a complete disaster, keep him for another year so that you can draft a QB (not in the first round) and start grooming someone.

Roy Williams is an intriguing idea but if he looks for something like Fitzgerald money, forget it. Actually Boldin would be good but he probably is looking for that kind of money.

A lot of these personnel changes will be made by the new coach. If we have another 6-win or worse season, no doubt there will be wholesale personnel changes.
Give Holmgren $10m a year and a return to SF and it would remain to be seen if he stays away. We've had a chance at him twice. Back in 2005, there were rumors going around that he and York was in talks but in the end, he decided to stay in SEA. Even earlier this year, there were rumors going around that if the price was right, Holmgren was going to bolt for SF but once again, decided to stay in SEA. York didnt want to give up any compensation in order to get him so it fell through and he decided to stay with Nolan.

I definitely dont want any assistant or any crap like that to be the HC. The only person I would consider would be Singletary but he's the only one.

Cant Smith be released before June but have it designated as a June 1st cut? Either way, whatever is best cap and money wise. Of course, if I have the extra cap room in 2009 to take the entire hit, I would much rather do that instead of it carrying over for two or more years.

Whatever our first rounder is, I have no interest in drafting another QB as 2009 looks like a repeat of 2005. Instead of taking the chance of drafting another QB, I would rather trade it for Quinn or Leinart because they would be going into their third and fourth season's respetively and already have experience. I dont want another rookie QB. And if anything, trading away the first rounder (even if it was number one overall) would be good money wise. No way in hell would I want to pay another QB more than what we paid Smith. Screw that.

To hell with Sullivan. Let him leave with Martz. There's a reason why he's been a journeyman - it's because he sucks.

Roy Williams will want to get paid but considering the amount of money that we wasted on Smith, Jennings, etc. spending it on Williams would actually be worth it. At least to me. He wont get Fitz money though. Fitz only got what he got because whoever gave him his rookie deal was a ******* moron and it screwed over the team cap wise.

I dont think that anything less than 8-8 will save Nolan. So, kiss him goodbye. I woud keep McCloughan though especially if we get Holmgren.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #31

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

That certainly is a pipe dream. York is a cheap *** and wont pay top dollar for a coach so if we get Holmgren to come over its going to be because we got him drunk one night and he signed something without reading it.

Trading a 1st round pick for Quinn or Leinart is idiotic and thats putting it nicely. Trading a 1st round pick, top 10 possibly, for an unproven QB just doesnt make sense. Lastly, you talk about bringing back the WCO, well you need an accurate QB for that and neither Quinn or Leinart have proven they can run that offense. I would love to see Quinn, Leinart not so much, come to SF but not for a first round pick and in all honesty I dont see why Cleveland would trade Quinn anyways, the more likely scenerio is to trade Derek Anderson while he still has value and plug in Quinn. Cleveland isnt winning a title with Anderson and once they realize that then Quinn will be the starter and Anderson will be the trade bait.

I want the Niners to get back to their glory years just as bad as the next guy but until we get a new owner the changes we do make are only going to be cosmetic and to please the fans but wont translate to our record on the field. Now if someone could talk that bitch Denise York to sell the team back to her brother Eddie Debartolo then we could be in business but thats not going to happen anytime soon.

This team needs to be built around Patrick Willis and Frank Gore right now, we need a strong run blocking line with a QB that limits mistakes but can take advantage of situations when they present themselves. We dont have to have a big name WR as long as we use Gore to setup the pass, if we try to use the pass to setup the run then we are screwed. The Niners in 2006 did decent by doing exactly this and the best receiver on the team was Antonio Bryant so its proven to work if we do it right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
Banned

We got to assume the Yorks aren't going away. Would be great if it happened but no point in hoping for it or whining about the owners. Best we could hope for is that when the sons take over, they hire a big name and stay out of the way.

I wouldn't pay $10 million for any coach. Team needs a new stadium before being able to throw that kind of money around. I'd like a proven coach but more like for $5 million.

Yeah don't trade the first round pick for anyone except maybe more picks lower in the first round.

Gore has how many more useful years? Certainly don't expect him to be at a high level after his extension runs out. It will suck if they have to develop a QB who isn't on the roster yet and we're using up 2-3 of Gore's prime years while waiting for a long-term guy to develop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »