Home

So Irvin stabbed a guy back in 98?

This is a discussion on So Irvin stabbed a guy back in 98? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
So Irvin stabbed a guy back in 98?

This is taking from Peter King's MMQB.

Quote:
I think Boys Will Be Boys, Jeff Pearlman's new book about the Dallas Cowboys in their glory days, and their decline from them, should not be dismissed as the rantings of a jaded sportswriter. Pearlman, obviously, has hit several nerves, and I applaud him for it.
Pearlman writes that Michael Irvin, incensed that tackle Everett McIver, in mid-haircut, would not leave a barber chair at training camp in 1998 so Irvin could get his haircut first, stabbed McIver in the neck. McIver was rushed to the hospital and survived, but not without losing a lot of blood. Irvin's silence on the charge has been deafening. I asked a Cowboy who played on that team if the story was true. "Absolutely,'' the Cowboy said. "I'm surprised it was kept quiet over the years.''

Pearlman writes in great detail about the White House, the house of ill repute Dallas players owned and managed near Valley Ranch, and he lampoons Deion Sanders, quoting Dallas corner Kevin Smith thusly: "When Deion came in, something changed for the worse. Guys who should have been studying football on a Wednesday at 12 o'clock were focused on other things. Deion was such a freaky athlete that he could shake one leg and be ready to cover anyone. But the guys following his lead weren't nearly as talented.'
In the first defensive team meeting Sanders attended, Pearlman writes, Sanders put his feet up on a table, and when defensive coordinator Dave Campo asked him to break down a play, Sanders said, "Hey, coach. I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes, I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out.''

Pearlman writes that Troy Aikman was disgusted by Sanders. And Barry Switzer, too. He also notes that Switzer's liquor tab during the week of the Pittsburgh-Dallas Super Bowl in Arizona was $100,000. That's a heck of an example to set, Barry. What a great hire.
Had the author on the local sports talk yesterday. He said Sanders wouldn't attend meetings and when they told him he would be fined, he would ask how much and then pull out his check book and wrtie a check. He also said star players would go to Jerry Jones and ask them to change meeting times just for them.

I wouldn't mind picking this book up and seeing all the things that went on behind the scenes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: So Irvin stabbed a guy back in 98?

I have it from a good source that Emmitt Smith routinely tried to kill the english language.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
I have it from a good source that Emmitt Smith routinely tried to kill the english language.
I swear, I don't know what it is, but I read your posts like that one, look left at that avatar, and just start laughing my *** off.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Eh... I thought Irvin got mad because the guy wouldn't get out of the chair and just stabbed him. Apparently, irvin got punched, a fight started and Irvin grabbed some scissors and stabbed him the neck. Still bad, but not liked it seemed. You can read some of the book at Amazon. I might have to pick this up.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Sounds like a great book!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Everyone knows the Cowboys were a notorious madhouse. The stabbing is something "new". But we all knew about the coke parties, the ho's, the prima donnas. I remember Jimmy Johnson criticized Robert Jones for wanting to go home to his family instead of hanging out @ the nightclub w/his teammates.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Didn't Irvin or one of the other felons stab a girl at a party with scissors too?

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

I remember when the Cowboys came to play the Jags right after that happened. The greatest mascot in the NFL, Jaxson de Ville, had a pair of giant scissors with him. During warmups and pregame he was sneaking up on the Cowboys players with the scissors, he had some sign too, but can't remember what it said.

Its too bad the Colt's owner Bill Polian got mad that Jaxson was making fun of his players and got the NFL to change the rules where mascots can't come on the field after pregame. After the rule change, he got a cage and put it on the sideline and had some people carry it around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »