Home

Benson signs with Bengals

This is a discussion on Benson signs with Bengals within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Benson signs with Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
what incident are you speaking of?

when he kicked in a door to try to get a TV back that was actually stolen from him?

or perhaps you are talking about the "incident" when he stopped and saved a lady from a burning car in the middle of the highway?
I'm not going to spend all day arguing about Cedric Benson, but I thought it was fairly common knowledge that he had failed a drug test or two at Texas, has a couple of DUI's, one I believe was right after the "boating incident", and was to undergo mandatory drug testing.

Now, I'm not saying the guy is Ray Carruth or anything, but he isn't squeaky clean like Shaun Alexander is, who he was being compared to earlier in the thread.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasysportsguy
I'm not going to spend all day arguing about Cedric Benson, but I thought it was fairly common knowledge that he had failed a drug test or two at Texas, has a couple of DUI's, one I believe was right after the "boating incident", and was to undergo mandatory drug testing.

Now, I'm not saying the guy is Ray Carruth or anything, but he isn't squeaky clean like Shaun Alexander is, who he was being compared to earlier in the thread.
1. he never failed a drug test at Texas, although he was arrested in the offseason at a party for a misdeamenor possession of chronic (oh noes!!!)

2. the DUI's you speak of were DROPPED, and therefore he will not be in any NFL program.

Last edited by ZB9; 10-01-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #19
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

You can poo-poo the drug thing for weed if you want (I know that is the popular thing to do here at OS), but to listen to you, the guy is Citizen of the Year type, and that's simply not true. Take ALL the other incidents and toss them out, the drug thing, right there, invalidates the argument that he is an angel.

AGAIN, I'm not saying the guy is an axe murderer...ok....but he isn't exactly squeaky clean either, and thats all the guys earlier in the thread were saying.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #20
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

Quote:
You can poo-poo the drug thing for weed if you want (I know that is the popular thing to do here at OS), but to listen to you, the guy is Citizen of the Year type, and that's simply not true. Take ALL the other incidents and toss them out, the drug thing, right there, invalidates the argument that he is an angel.

AGAIN, I'm not saying the guy is an axe murderer...ok....but he isn't exactly squeaky clean either, and thats all the guys earlier in the thread were saying.
I dont know why you would want a football player to be too "squeaky clean". The sport isnt usually conducive to boy scouts
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:

He's an NFL football player... or lets even just say a professional athlete. There are a good number of "squeaky clean" guys who deserve to be talked about more than they are, but they are far outnumbered by guys that have at least little things here or there that the masses just don't know about. Regardless, the only thing that should matter is his play on the football field as his history does not suggest that he's a risk to miss games b/c of off field antics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #22
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
I dont know why you would want a football player to be too "squeaky clean". The sport isnt usually conducive to boy scouts
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying, but that's ok.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #23
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
He's an NFL football player... or lets even just say a professional athlete. There are a good number of "squeaky clean" guys who deserve to be talked about more than they are, but they are far outnumbered by guys that have at least little things here or there that the masses just don't know about. Regardless, the only thing that should matter is his play on the football field as his history does not suggest that he's a risk to miss games b/c of off field antics.
Unless you count the 2008 incidents as pure bad luck. I don't know, man, is the guy Pac Man Jones bad? Chris Henry bad? Absolutely not. Is he gonna win NFL Man of the Year? Nope.

Again though, I wasn't doing anything but agreeing with the people that posted earlier that said he seemed to "fit in" with the Bengals more than Alexander did.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #24
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

Quote:
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying, but that's ok.
Benson doesnt have issues that should paint him as a thug or keep teams from signing him because of a suspension risk. That is all im saying.

Last edited by ZB9; 10-01-2008 at 11:58 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »