Home

Vick back in 09!

This is a discussion on Vick back in 09! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #57
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Vick back in 09!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Are people really this ignorant, or was this some attempt to get a rise out of people
Some people are ignorant when it comes to this topic.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:53 AM   #58
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

I cannot help myself but to shake my head at some of the posts in this thread.

Do I think what Vick did was right? No, not at all.

Do I think he should be given a second chance? Again, not really. I think if anything he would have to EARN a second chance. It shouldn't just be given to him because of who he is/what he was.

Twitch Stream
Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #59
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

No way a team brings in Vick as a QB. He will be a WR
Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #60
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyBanana

Do I think he should be given a second chance? Again, not really. I think if anything he would have to EARN a second chance. It shouldn't just be given to him because of who he is/what he was.
The whole thing about pro sports is that few athletes are elite enough to make it, or even stick around long. Vick has experience starting, even winning playoff games. The fact is, if he can prove he still has the athletic skill when he gets out, some team will at least look his way.

There will be scrutiny sure, but if he's a WR or something, he won't be the face of a franchise making 100 million dollars.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #61
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Leonard Little should be in prison let alone banned from the NFL but all that happened with Paul as the commish and he wasnt about to be a hardass like Goodell has been.

In terms of Vick, I was pretty damn pissed when all this went down and really was just sick listening to the reports of what happened, however, I now believe that Vick should get another shot in the NFL when he is released. Sure Vick got involved in something disgusting, imo, but you cant possibly turn a blind eye to Pacman and the issue at the strip club in Vegas while wanting to ban Vick for life. The major hurdle is going to be those nuts at Peta who will pickett every game if Vick gets signed by a team, Pacman didnt have this problem when he was coming back. I know Pets shouldnt influence a teams decision making but does any team really want to be in the press constantly because of one player they signed?
I'd go farther and ask if any team would want to be in the spotlight that much for a player who will likely be added as a backup or a first time player at another position besides QB? The risk vs reward will definitely not be in Vick's favor. I do expect ESPN to soften the blow a bit as it gets closer to the time for him to get out. You could tell they realized they started the ball rolling on the witch hunt and tried to diffuse things a bit before he got locked up. I'm sure they still feel guilty. It won't help with the PETA folk but it should help with the people who they influenced to begin with.

Quote:

What does "EARN a second chance" mean in this case? He's doing his time so that's paying his debt to society. Whatever team takes a chance on him will certainly do everything they can to make sure he's still able to perform on an NFL level either as QB or at another position. Isn't that earning it?

As TheChef mentioned, if a team takes a chance on him they're in for a lot of flack and attention so they'll make sure it's worth it before signing him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #62

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:

Well then what do you think of Leonard Little being in the NFL after killing someone? How about Pac-Man after the whole Vegas strip club thing? If you think as strongly about them and how they shouldnt be in the NFL either then I have no problem with your opinion, although I dont necessarily agree about giving him a second chance, but if you think they are somehow any different then Vick then I have to ask you to elaborate on that more.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #63
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Well then what do you think of Leonard Little being in the NFL after killing someone? How about Pac-Man after the whole Vegas strip club thing? If you think as strongly about them and how they shouldnt be in the NFL either then I have no problem with your opinion, although I dont necessarily agree about giving him a second chance, but if you think they are somehow any different then Vick then I have to ask you to elaborate on that more.
Being involved with gambling and gamblers, not to mention being convicted of a Felony automatically put Vick on the persona non grata list as far as most are concern. With the NFL being as image cosncious as it is, and in the aftermath of the Tim Donaghy stuff in the NBA, I'd be very surprised if the NFL is in much of a rush to reinstate Mike Vick.

I agree with you on Leonord, but that was pre-Gooddell and thus a moot point, and Pac Man, while he is an idiot and imo has run out of chances, I don't believe has a felony conviction, nor has he been associated with gamblers or gambling.

The NFL is a privelege not a right, and if it were up to me, all 3 would be gone for good, but we'll see what the league does.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #64
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Being involved with gambling and gamblers, not to mention being convicted of a Felony automatically put Vick on the persona non grata list as far as most are concern. With the NFL being as image cosncious as it is, and in the aftermath of the Tim Donaghy stuff in the NBA, I'd be very surprised if the NFL is in much of a rush to reinstate Mike Vick.

I agree with you on Leonord, but that was pre-Gooddell and thus a moot point, and Pac Man, while he is an idiot and imo has run out of chances, I don't believe has a felony conviction, nor has he been associated with gamblers or gambling.

The NFL is a privelege not a right, and if it were up to me, all 3 would be gone for good, but we'll see what the league does.
All very valid points but I think The Chef is asking (and if this isn't true, the question I really want to know) is why the fans... people posting here feel there's a difference? ChubbyBanana said he thinks Vick should have to earn it. Not really a question of how Goddell feels. But in that same thought though, Goddell is the one who gave Jones another chance with the Boys. Considering this is essentially a first offense for Vick, I'd be surprised if he weren't let back in. I think the problem will be getting a team to sign him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »