Home

Is Kyle Orton for real?

This is a discussion on Is Kyle Orton for real? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Is Kyle Orton for real?

i remember that year quite well

Orton had one really bad game where he threw 5 INT i think it was, against the Bengals

other than that, he wasn't that bad as he didn't make many mistakes but our offense struggled to score points. Rex was wanted and Bears fans got their wish against Atlanta, before the playoffs iirc

also, Orton didn't beat the Skins, Chicago lost that game. they did beat the ravens though
Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp
Orton didn't manage anything that year other than being awful, and he certainly didn't lead anything. The team won despite his horrendous play. He did his best to lose games for them, but the running game, defense, and special teams wouldn't let him.
World beater he was not, but the team went 11-5 with him at QB as a rookie and if Ben gets credit for turning the Steelers around even though he was only throwing the ball 15 times a game, I don't really understand how anyone can say Orton was horrible while leading an equally bad Bears team (predictions coming into that year) to an 11-5 record.

But I'm also not a big fan of calling any rookie QB that has to start from week 1 garbage, especially if their team goes 11-5 no matter how they play.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbz708
i remember that year quite well

Orton had one really bad game where he threw 5 INT i think it was, against the Bengals

other than that, he wasn't that bad as he didn't make many mistakes but our offense struggled to score points. Rex was wanted and Bears fans got their wish against Atlanta, before the playoffs iirc

also, Orton didn't beat the Skins, Chicago lost that game. they did beat the ravens though
Yep, you're right they lost 9-7 to the Skins. Sorry about that one. Guy I got my ticket from is a representative for Budweiser so you can understand why my memory of how it ended may be a little cloudy.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

The Vikings went 8-4 in Jackson's starts last year, and he was nothing short of horrible. I had to listen to Vikings fans all offseason cite his record as "proof" of how he was a quality starter, yada yada yada, still makes me want to vomit.

The Ben / Orton comparison is awful, Ben actually played well and contributed to that team winning.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Jackson wasn't great but he was "good enough" for what they needed. The problem with Jackson is that he doesn't appear any better. We're talking about a player during his rookie year. I'm not using his record that year to say he was good. I'm saying considering the mountain he had to carry considering he was a rookie, he did a good job. That team needed a QB not to turn the ball over, move the chains occassionally, etc. and he did that.

I don't believe Orton is Big Ben or will become what Ben is now. But Ben's rookie year he basically handed the ball off, threw it a couple of times and didn't screw up. You could see during that time some instances of what he could become (and now is) but his rookie season, he was asked to do the same that Orton was. And Orton did it, the Bears went 11-5 and went to the playoffs. I don't call that garbage, and still thought it was stupid to pull him out before the playoffs that year. Considering what we've seen from Grossman, he deserved a chance to start long before now considering that year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #22
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbz708
Uh what? Thomas Jones was the RB in Ortons first year.
ah...yea...your right...

Forgot about Jones. He had a good yr before leaving for NY too. Its obvious that Orton is a better QB than Grossman...

I'd say he's a Chad Pennington type QB (that's who comes to mind right now) w/ everything clicking...offense/defense...there is the opportunity for him to lead a team into the playoffs, but he isn't going to wow you while doing it, and he isn't going to carry your team.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #23
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Start Caleb Hanie!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta95
I never thought Orton was bad, I just never thought he got a chance
He was bad in games his rookie year. Really atrocious some games but he has grown as a QB. I think Ron Turner has done a good job running the offense this year. There is a real gameplan each week and Orten looks in complete control when he is out there.

Last edited by J.R. Locke; 10-20-2008 at 09:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »