Home

WTF is wrong w/ the Cowboys???

This is a discussion on WTF is wrong w/ the Cowboys??? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: WTF is wrong w/ the Cowboys???

My .02 FWIW. The problem starts at the top. I don't think this team will ever be successful under its current philosophy.

Jerry Jones is a big factor. I admire his passion, but he needs to get the hell out of everyones way. Without a strong head coach or a real GM to keep him in check, he's making it worse. He's slowly becoming Al Davis and the team is starting to resemble the old Raiders. He wants to win so bad, which is good, but he's trying to buy a Superbowl. There are no shortcuts.

Team chemistry and "character" guys actually are important. So it attitude. This isn't Madden where having all the highest rated OVL players wins you anything. They bring in all these guys, TO, Williams, Pac Man, Tank, yet the best players IMO on this team are there own like Ware, Romo, Barber, and Witten who is the heart and soul of that offense IMO.

Jerry needs to lay off, let someone build a team over a few seasons and go play golf or something. Just wait til he gets really old and senile.

This team now doesn't have the leadership or mental capacity to be successful.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 25

What is wrong with the Cowboys? Tell me, who is their 'leader'?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
WHO CARES.
I don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Given the popularity of the Cowboys and their division rivals on this board, I think a fair amount of people do, actually.
Well...I'm a rabid Eagles fan and could careless about the Cowboys'...er...Cowgirls' demise...

Seeing as how in my eyes Dallas Sucks every yr., regardless of their roster.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Parcells made the team good, last year the team was still running on fumes trying to prove that they didn't need Parcells coaching 13-3 (still due to Parcells), now you got a marshmallow puff coach in there again and the Cowboys will continue to disintegrate, the only two coaches who pushed back were Jimmy Johnson and Parcells (both jerks I'll agree) but at least they made the players accountable for their actions. Now you got another Switzer marshmallow puff that allows the owner to call the shots and everyone around is wondering what happened. Jason Garrett would be no different.

Looks at the teams with hard nosed coaches - Titans, Giants - they are on the up, even the 2nd tier teams with hard-nosed coaches Broncos, Bucs - same thing.

I'm sorry but last year's 13-3 had nothing to do with Phillips or Garrett but everything to do with the players wanting to show up Parcells.
The Cowboys need not only a coach that will make the players accountable, but also a coach that will tell Jerry Jones to take some Metamucel and get out of the way.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

What's wrong with Dallas?

They need a strong head coach and they need someone to make decisions for Jerry Jones.

Championships aren't won by throwing money at the problem, they're won by drafting guys like Romo, Ware, Barber, Jones, Witten, etc.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
What's wrong with Dallas?

They need a strong head coach and they need someone to make decisions for Jerry Jones.

Championships aren't won by throwing money at the problem, they're won by drafting guys like Romo, Ware, Barber, Jones, Witten, etc.
Romo wasn't drafted.

Other than that, it's true for the most part. Wade Phillips is making the Cowboys look bad right now and Jason Garrett is turning into Jeff Bowden with his playcalling.

When you have Brad Johnson as your QB, you don't call plays as if Tony Romo was under center. You feed the ball to Marion Barber and Tashard Choice (where was he at?) and let Brad Johnson find Jason Witten and Terrell Owens with the defense keying on the run.

Finally, you kick the defense in the *** and tell him to start playing some football. How does a front seven that consists of:

Chris Canty, Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears
Demarcus Ware, Bradie James, Zach Thomas, Greg Ellis (a good run defender as it is)

give up those kinds of yards on the ground? I know Steven Jackson is a punishing runner up the middle and great in the open field but good lord! Jackson has not been having a great season and then comes in and goes for 160 and 3 trips!! Right now, Garrett's play calling is leaving this pissy defense on the field too long. I really don't know who to blame though. Garrett's bad play calling or Stewart's bad defense?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMiss2000
Word is, Jerry Jones ripped into the team after the game. Why does it have to come from the owner? Meanwhile, Phillips stands on the sidelines with his thumb in his ***!
That's part of the problem right there. That takes power away from the coach. People can say the coach is soft but if the owner is the "bad cop" then that makes the coach like the substitute teacher. This isn't an extension of the Jones discussion in the other thread. He's far from a horrible owner but the hierarchy needs to be in tact for things to run properly. Look at the Rams when they finally had one talking head at the top instead of 3.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Look the Cowboys are in danger of turning into the next Oakland Raiders, until the owner can get a strong coach and allow him to actually coach, this will be a rinse-and-repeat affair in Dallas.

They still have the rest of the season to turn things around, but c'mon, do you really think that the guys in the locker room respect Phillips like they did Parcells?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »