Home

Staph Infections

This is a discussion on Staph Infections within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #17
Lurker

bjf1377's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Staph Infections

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Not a Browns problem.
Well it isn't exclusively a Browns problem, but it is a big problem for the Browns:

(last 4 years)
- LeCharles Bentley
- Kellen Winslow (twice)
- Braylon Edwards
- Ben Taylor
- Brian Russell
- Joe Jurevicius

And those are just the ones the front office has told us about...
Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf1377
Well it isn't exclusively a Browns problem, but it is a big problem for the Browns:

(last 4 years)
- LeCharles Bentley
- Kellen Winslow (twice)
- Braylon Edwards
- Ben Taylor
- Brian Russell
- Joe Jurevicius

And those are just the ones the front office has told us about...
I realize Cleveland has had a large problem w/it. My point is it isn't exclusive to them. It's on the rise in general in hospitals, even in the public. They had a huge controversy last year @ a DC area (I believe) HS where a student died. Doctors erroneously predicted the eradication of bacteria-caused diseases back in the 50's & the medical community got a false sense of security.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 12

I had it the summer before I started high school. Got a very small cut at work (car wash vacuuming up cars which isn't the cleanest job), a few days later it looked like I had a softball connected to my elbow and had to go to the hospital for almost a week along with keeping an IV in me the week after with a portable machine that would start the antibiotics at set times. Took me a while after to be able to completely extend my elbow again. Kind of weird it's happening at such a high rate now at least when it comes to pro sports.
NHL: Lightning and Ducks
Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
Doctors hand out antibiotics like it's candy...eventually bacteria evolves and becomes resistant to it.
Yup Yup....they also link the increase in anti-bacteria soap as increasing another reason drug resistant bacteria and virus are forming.

I know in my high school the locker room got cleaned up well about once a year after the season. During the season....ha....freshman
Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

I had MRSA after i graduated college. I have no idea how I got, no cut, didnt go to a hospital, wasnt playing sports at the time.

Be careful. It was on my stomach and the only reason why it didnt become serious is because i thought it was a spider bite (had a bump on my stomach) and I am allergic to sulfur drugs so my doctor put me on one of the few antibiotics that work only because he also thought it was a spider bite. I had a hole on my stomach the size of my thumb.

Please be careful out there, it is a very serious thing. It isnt just a hospital, locker room thing anymore. At the time I was living with my parents who are extremely clean.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #22
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtAndProud
I had MRSA after i graduated college. I have no idea how I got, no cut, didnt go to a hospital, wasnt playing sports at the time.

Be careful. It was on my stomach and the only reason why it didnt become serious is because i thought it was a spider bite (had a bump on my stomach) and I am allergic to sulfur drugs so my doctor put me on one of the few antibiotics that work only because he also thought it was a spider bite. I had a hole on my stomach the size of my thumb.

Please be careful out there, it is a very serious thing. It isnt just a hospital, locker room thing anymore. At the time I was living with my parents who are extremely clean.
Yea MRSA is a mutated Staph Infection...

Also...I think most people are confused that a Staph Infection is some different kind of an infection.

A Staph infection is the most general kind of infection...When someone says "Its Infected"...Its more than likely a Staph Infection they're talking about.

MRSA is a new/mutated Staph Infection, and its hard to cure because there aren't any antibiotics that can affect it.

You said (bolded) that you were living w/ your parents who are 'very clean'...Like JR Locke said...All of the anti-bacterial products i.e. soaps, hand sanitizer etc are MAJOR reasons why people continue to get sick.

They kill off all the good bacteria that your body needs. Its a constant battle w/ my wife who loves to lather our 13 month son w/ anti-bacterials. I let the boy play in the dirt as much as possible because doing so, although there are germs to be caught, will only strengthen his immune system.

Also...If you take a lot of antibiotics you should counter them w/ pro-biotics. Using probiotics replaces the good flora (spelling)/bacteria in your stomach.

Its as simple as eating yogurt once or twice a day. Most yogurts have cultures ripe w/ probiotics which help your body.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 28

It definitely has to do with the way antibiotics are/were being prescribed. When I was in the Army they used to give them out like Skittles. But now if I get sick and go to the VA (I usually go there for small stuff as they are pretty fast) they got those things guarded like gold and give you a pre-packaged routine. Usually like 2 the first day and 1 a day for about 5 days or so. But to hear that some places still hand them out care free is disturbing in that it's well known in the medical community that they need to be tightly prescribed or sooner or later these infections will be so resistant that nothing will work.

20 years from now you get a STD the conversation is going to go more or less like this , "Man you know I did Lisa last week and I had to see the doctor. I'm lucky it's just AIDS for a minute I thought I had Super Staph" "Wow you dodged a close one there, lucky it's just HIV"
Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership

20 years from now you get a STD the conversation is going to go more or less like this , "Man you know I did Lisa last week and I had to see the doctor. I'm lucky it's just AIDS for a minute I thought I had Super Staph" "Wow you dodged a close one there, lucky it's just HIV"
Yeah but I gave her the staph. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! Hi Five bro~!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »