Home

John Madden poll

This is a discussion on John Madden poll within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: John Madden is:
Overrated 15 29.41%
Underrated 12 23.53%
Somewhere in the middle 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 24
John Madden poll

I don't get the love affair with John Madden as a colour guy.
I don't think he's even in the top five now, much less worth the $7 or $8 million a year he's getting paid.
I find his analysis predictable, his love affair with certain players predictable, etc...
I remember a few years ago watching a 5th network game where Jesse Palmer was the colour guy in a San Francisco game and thinking to myself "This f--king guy is a 1000x better at breaking down a game than John Madden."

He must have been too pretty for American TV, because they didn't renew his contract and he now works on Canadian TV.

Anyway ... am I the only one who thinks Madden's act is tired?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: John Madden poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
I remember a few years ago watching a 5th network game where Jesse Palmer was the colour guy in a San Francisco game and thinking to myself "This f--king guy is a 1000x better at breaking down a game than John Madden."

He must have been too pretty for American TV, because they didn't renew his contract and he now works on Canadian TV.
Jesse Palmer works ESPN's college broadcasts on Thursday night with Fowler and Craig James.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Mostly everyone I know has thought maddens been done for years now.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Jesse Palmer works ESPN's college broadcasts on Thursday night with Fowler and Craig James.
He must do both. He works on CTV here.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

As a collector of old games I'm always a little excited when I get a Summerall/Madden game because it allows me to go back in time and see what made Madden so great. Madden was never the most analytical color guy but he was very entertaining. He also had a better grasp for the concepts and game play styles of the '80s to mid '90s since then he seems a little lost when trying to explain those things.

Madden and his favoritism was around way back then too. It just wasn't so easy to spot. He was a huge fan of everything the Niners did, especially Joe Montana. Another thing that Madden did a lot back then was show a ton of enthusiasm and was very animated. He doesn't do that very much these days probably due to age and such but there are times when you see a glimmer of the former Madden these days.

I think that he's being paid for past success but he isn't the worst color guy out there right now. Remember that for prime time games the target audience is a little different. They're not trying to cater fully to the hardcore football fans but rather to bring everyone to the TV to watch the games. That's why the commentary on SNF and MNF is slightly dumbed down compared to some of the commentators on Sundays.

I'd say Madden is somewhere in the middle these days.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 55

This says it all:

Old 10-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Madden doesn't annoy me. He doesn't add a whole lot to the game for me, but I'll gladly take just not being aggravated these days. Kornheiser annoys me. Maguire and Theisman on the old SNF annoyed the absolute **** out of me.

I look at it like NBC had to hire somebody, they didn't have much recent history in football to give them a pool of talent to draw from, and Madden and Michaels were a nice safe bet in a forum that has occasionally had disasters in the booth. They could've done a lot worse (look at ESPN).
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Madden knows what he is talking about.

Unfortunately, sometimes he makes the most boneheaded comments that you just have to shrug it off.

He's like a racist grandfather. He knows what he is talking about, but sometimes you just have to smack yourself in the head and wonder WTF he is talking about.

Urban Meyer is lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »