Home

Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator

This is a discussion on Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
No pass rush vs. man means you give up a touchdown on a 5 or 6 play drive vs. giving up one on a 10 or 12 play drive if you had played zone.

What? Have you not seen the level of NFL offenses? What great offenses have the Chargers faced this year? Denver? Miami? Buffalo? Saints? Give me a break. I say dare them to beat you one on one. Yeah, you may give up a big play once in awhile, but I guarantee you they won't be able to do it on a consistent basis.

I honestly have no idea how you possibly came to this conclusion. If that were the case, no one would play zone, and 75% of the league wouldn't be in love with the Cover 2 like they are now.
Haven't you noticed that when they play zone (and of course with no pass rush), the Chargers D cannot stop anybody? As soon as they switch to man to man they usually make the other team punt. A perfect example was last Sunday. When they finally switched to man to man coverage in the last 4 minutes of the game, even though they still didn't have any pass rush, they actually made Brees throw incompletions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #26
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacocortez
Haven't you noticed that when they play zone (and of course with no pass rush), the Chargers D cannot stop anybody? As soon as they switch to man to man they usually make the other team punt. A perfect example was last Sunday. When they finally switched to man to man coverage in the last 4 minutes of the game, even though they still didn't have any pass rush, they actually made Brees throw incompletions.
Doing it once means nothing. The notion that they all of a sudden stop people when they go man is ridiculous. Watch the Denver game, there's a reason they started playing zone. They were giving up big play after big play, or getting called for PI or defensive holding every time they went man. Brandon Marshall made Antonio Cromartie his girlfriend in that game.

They've played a lot of zone, because they were just as vulnerable in man coverage. What you think they are going to play man/free and all of a sudden they are going to get a bunch of stops. Brees had a lot of success against man coverage in this last game. They got killed in man when they played Carolina. They flexed the TE Rosario out and abused Eric Weddle. Not to mention even Dwayne Jarrett got his big catch while SD was in man.

If they don't rush the passer it's not going to matter. It's just the difference will be quick drives vs. long drives. You're delusional if you think the answer is simply to play man exclusively, or if you think that's what Rivera is going to do.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Doing it once means nothing. The notion that they all of a sudden stop people when they go man is ridiculous. Watch the Denver game, there's a reason they started playing zone. They were giving up big play after big play, or getting called for PI or defensive holding every time they went man. Brandon Marshall made Antonio Cromartie his girlfriend in that game.

They've played a lot of zone, because they were just as vulnerable in man coverage. What you think they are going to play man/free and all of a sudden they are going to get a bunch of stops. Brees had a lot of success against man coverage in this last game. They got killed in man when they played Carolina. They flexed the TE Rosario out and abused Eric Weddle. Not to mention even Dwayne Jarrett got his big catch while SD was in man.

If they don't rush the passer it's not going to matter. It's just the difference will be quick drives vs. long drives. You're delusional if you think the answer is simply to play man exclusively, or if you think that's what Rivera is going to do.
It is always a good read when you break down games and teams. The Chargers turned it around last year, so it is still hope.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #28
MVP

WDOgF0reL1fe's Arena

OVR: 27

I dont care. Im happy. THats all.

Follow me on Twitter yeah.
@WillSoistman
Dibs: Jennifer Aniston

"Success isn't earned, it's leased. Rent is due every damn day.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 11

i dont like this move too much..im not a big fan of midseason changes..i hope the chargers can turn it around though
Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
This brings me to another point. The Cottrell scheme not only made the defense look like garbage, it kept the offense on the bench. So I prefer quick scoring drives over long scoring drive. That way the offense has more chances per game to score points.

And you're right, Rivera will mix things up and probably blitz more. He surely will play some zone, but primarily he will play man-to-man. Again, you scheme according to your personnel and strengths of your players. Therefore, the best way to go on defense is to primarily (but not exclusively) play man-to-man.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #31
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

I wish one of these guys would step in as a leader of this defense,and get on their ***.Phillips has disappered completely from the defense,at times i forget his actually out their.Jamal Williams needs to step into peoples face and show them whats up,so what if feelings get hurt.Bottom line chargers need to make plays on defense.season is not lost yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge380
Phillips has disappered completely from the defense,at times i forget his actually out their.
A big reason he has disappeared is that he was dropping into coverage way too much. Another example of not scheming according to the strengths of your players. Phillips should be rushing the passer on almost every down. That is what he does best. I am sure Rivera knows that and will scheme accordingly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »