Home

Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator

This is a discussion on Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #33
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacocortez
This brings me to another point. The Cottrell scheme not only made the defense look like garbage, it kept the offense on the bench. So I prefer quick scoring drives over long scoring drive. That way the offense has more chances per game to score points.

And you're right, Rivera will mix things up and probably blitz more. He surely will play some zone, but primarily he will play man-to-man. Again, you scheme according to your personnel and strengths of your players. Therefore, the best way to go on defense is to primarily (but not exclusively) play man-to-man.
You realize the Cottrell scheme is basically excactly the same as Phillips was right? That's why he was brought here.

As far as what Rivera is going to do, and how he will gameplan, what are you basing this on?

I am not sure where you were getting the part about Phillips dropping in to coverage more than he ever has. He's simply not getting the same jump he has in the past, and he's not defeating pass protectors, even one on one. It's also not helped by the fact Castillo has been a complete non-factor.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
As far as what Rivera is going to do, and how he will gameplan, what are you basing this on?
I am basing it on the assumption that Rivera is no dummy. He knows what Cottrell did and that it obviously didn't work. He's been here for 2 years, and knows the players well (their strengths and weaknesses).

We'll see against KC. Although the real test will come against Pit. They will need to be very aggressive against Big Ben. Otherwise he will carve you up, just like Brees did.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #35
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

Watch,dont be surprised if Waddle is used more on blitzes,Harris a player to watch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 12

"It was after a series of meetings before the team left London on Monday – between Smith, Turner, team President Dean Spanos and assistant GM Ed McGuire – that Turner was left with a decision on whether to keep Cottrell. He informed his bosses, then Cottrell and Rivera, of his resolution Tuesday morning.

“We have underachieved on defense so far this season,” Smith said. “It is unacceptable. In order to win championships I believe you need a dominating defense – a defense that comes at you aggressively and dictates, then dominates, if possible. It's about attitude and confidence. We have lacked all of the above. We need to find answers to our present problems and do it quickly.”

Smith said just last week that while not pleased with the Chargers' record, he was being patient because they were only one game behind the division-leading Denver Broncos. After losing Sunday, however, the Chargers are in danger of falling two games back during their bye weekend.

“We have eight games left to make a difference and make a run at the division,” Smith said. “The division is up for grabs as we speak. Time very soon will not be on our side. A team will soon make a move in the West. I would like that team to be the Chargers.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...rell/?chargers
Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #37
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelverin
"It was after a series of meetings before the team left London on Monday – between Smith, Turner, team President Dean Spanos and assistant GM Ed McGuire – that Turner was left with a decision on whether to keep Cottrell. He informed his bosses, then Cottrell and Rivera, of his resolution Tuesday morning.

“We have underachieved on defense so far this season,” Smith said. “It is unacceptable. In order to win championships I believe you need a dominating defense – a defense that comes at you aggressively and dictates, then dominates, if possible. It's about attitude and confidence. We have lacked all of the above. We need to find answers to our present problems and do it quickly.”

Smith said just last week that while not pleased with the Chargers' record, he was being patient because they were only one game behind the division-leading Denver Broncos. After losing Sunday, however, the Chargers are in danger of falling two games back during their bye weekend.

“We have eight games left to make a difference and make a run at the division,” Smith said. “The division is up for grabs as we speak. Time very soon will not be on our side. A team will soon make a move in the West. I would like that team to be the Chargers.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...rell/?chargers
AJ is in damage control mode.

Funny hearing him talk about what it takes to build a champion as if he's ever accomplished that.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #38
Fear the Friar

chilli311's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You realize the Cottrell scheme is basically excactly the same as Phillips was right? That's why he was brought here.
How do you figure? When Phillips was here, you rarely saw less than 5 blitzers. With Cottrell, I felt excited when I saw 4.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #39
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli311
How do you figure? When Phillips was here, you rarely saw less than 5 blitzers. With Cottrell, I felt excited when I saw 4.
Watch again.

And I don't know how many times i can say it. Cottrell was here because his system and scheme is exactly the same as Phillips. It was a continuity thing. And if you watch the Cowboys or the Chargers while he was here it's the same thing. The difference is for the most part they got a better rush.

And Cottrell rarely if ever rushed just 3. He did a bad job, but either be realistic about it or stick to the Charger fan sites with the rest of the guys who don't have the first idea about the ins and outs of that defense.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 AM   #40
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

If I recall, a lot of people didn't like Phillips's "prevent" defense in the 4th quarter just before he left for the head coaching job in Dallas. Same can be said for Cottrell's defense.

I bet these are the same people who spammed the forums saying Marty Schottenheimer was stupid for running Darren Sproles up the middle that one time where Sproles got injured, I think this happened during his rookie year. Now you got people wanting to bench LT in favor of Sproles. Real thoughtful.

Or probably the same ones who want to get rid of Nate Kaeding.

Anyways, enough of that, this won't be an quick fix for this pathetic season, but I really think that we may end up going back to a four-down lineman defense considering this time hasn't considered a replacement for Jamal. I could be wrong though so don't shoot me with any kool aid comments and what not, I'm already stressed from accounting.

Reality has hit AJ, the Spanoses, the Chargers, and their fans. Something that was needed IMO.

Last edited by BatsareBugs; 10-30-2008 at 03:25 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »