Home

Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator

This is a discussion on Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2008, 04:10 AM   #41
MVP

WDOgF0reL1fe's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Ron Rivera Is Chargers New Defensive Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Watch again.

And I don't know how many times i can say it. Cottrell was here because his system and scheme is exactly the same as Phillips. It was a continuity thing. And if you watch the Cowboys or the Chargers while he was here it's the same thing. The difference is for the most part they got a better rush.

And Cottrell rarely if ever rushed just 3. He did a bad job, but either be realistic about it or stick to the Charger fan sites with the rest of the guys who don't have the first idea about the ins and outs of that defense.
Im sorry but Im gonna have to tell you that you are wrong here. Just because they both work with a "3-4" does not mean they run the exact same system and scheme. The fact they Cotrell was familiar with a 3-4 is where the similarities end.

In fact, the reason Cottrell was brought in was because of two things. Familiar with the 3-4, and butt buddies with AJ Smith and Norv Turner.

Also, if im not mistaken, Wade Phillips actually learned the scheme from Ted Cottrell back in Buffalo. (Or had to adopt it once Cotrell left BUffalo, im not sure). So while Ted had it to form, Wade adapted and made his own "version" of the 3-4.

No one really runs the exact same defense or offense as another coach. Everyone does something different, Wade was very aggressive and while he typically rushed around 4 or 5, he made sure to have every D player moving around pre snap, coming up to the line, backing away from the line.

Cottrell only tried to seem aggressive when his job was on the line, too little too late.

Follow me on Twitter yeah.
@WillSoistman
Dibs: Jennifer Aniston

"Success isn't earned, it's leased. Rent is due every damn day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #42
Fear the Friar

chilli311's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Watch again.

And I don't know how many times i can say it. Cottrell was here because his system and scheme is exactly the same as Phillips. It was a continuity thing. And if you watch the Cowboys or the Chargers while he was here it's the same thing. The difference is for the most part they got a better rush.

And Cottrell rarely if ever rushed just 3. He did a bad job, but either be realistic about it or stick to the Charger fan sites with the rest of the guys who don't have the first idea about the ins and outs of that defense.
I'll admit, I was being a little sarcastic about the only rushing three, but how does a defense go from 61 sacks to 42 over the course of one year, with the exact same front 7 running the exact same system and scheme? I still have every game from 2005-2007 on DVD, and I can see a HUGE difference in the way the defense played after Cottrell came in. He wasn't bringing serious pressure until the second half of the season last year.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDOgF0reL1fe
Im sorry but Im gonna have to tell you that you are wrong here. Just because they both work with a "3-4" does not mean they run the exact same system and scheme. The fact they Cotrell was familiar with a 3-4 is where the similarities end.

In fact, the reason Cottrell was brought in was because of two things. Familiar with the 3-4, and butt buddies with AJ Smith and Norv Turner.

Also, if im not mistaken, Wade Phillips actually learned the scheme from Ted Cottrell back in Buffalo. (Or had to adopt it once Cotrell left BUffalo, im not sure). So while Ted had it to form, Wade adapted and made his own "version" of the 3-4.

No one really runs the exact same defense or offense as another coach. Everyone does something different, Wade was very aggressive and while he typically rushed around 4 or 5, he made sure to have every D player moving around pre snap, coming up to the line, backing away from the line.

Cottrell only tried to seem aggressive when his job was on the line, too little too late.
Wade Phillips is the son of Bum Phillips and Bum ran the 3-4 defense when he coached. So Wade learned the 3-4 defense from his daddy.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #44
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDOgF0reL1fe

Actually they do run the same system with the same terminology same fronts, same scheme same coverage combo's. As AJ said, Cottrell was brought in here for continuity.

Wade wasn't aggressive as you remember him, just watch Dallas play. He calls games for Dallas, as he did for us.

Wade Phillips learned the defense working for his dad in Houston on the 70's. He was running it long before he got to Buffalo.

Cottrell definitely underachived and he makes a convinient scape goat, but he was hardly the only problem. If you want to get in to the X's and O' 3-4 defense 101 stuff with me, send a PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #45
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli311
I'll admit, I was being a little sarcastic about the only rushing three, but how does a defense go from 61 sacks to 42 over the course of one year, with the exact same front 7 running the exact same system and scheme? I still have every game from 2005-2007 on DVD, and I can see a HUGE difference in the way the defense played after Cottrell came in. He wasn't bringing serious pressure until the second half of the season last year.
How? They played better teams early in 2007. They were not nearly as phyiscal. They don't seem have the same fire. They definitely were not game prepped as well

It's not a scheme thing, it's a coaching thing. And it's a players thing.

X's and O's are the least of their problems. They guys on the field, and the coaches work being done from Monday through Saturday are where their problems lie. It's clear as day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
It's not a scheme thing, it's a coaching thing. And it's a players thing.
It is a scheme thing and a players thing. Castillo and Igor (just to name two) have definitely underachieved this year. The players on defense need to step up their game for sure.

But hey, only time will tell, right? They have 8 games to salvage this thing. If the defense (with a different scheme) continues to play like absolute garbage, then I will acknowledge that you were correct.

Fair enough?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #47
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacocortez
It is a scheme thing and a players thing. Castillo and Igor (just to name two) have definitely underachieved this year. The players on defense need to step up their game for sure.

But hey, only time will tell, right? They have 8 games to salvage this thing. If the defense (with a different scheme) continues to play like absolute garbage, then I will acknowledge that you were correct.

Fair enough?
You can or you don't have to. I don't care if you acknowledge anything for me. I've got enough background in this stuff to know there's no certainty. I've also got enough background in this stuff to make what I feel is a pretty educated guess.

Their problems to me are pretty clear. I am not sure why you think the scheme is going to change. Playcalling tendencies may change some, but the scheme will remain.

Last edited by bkrich83; 10-30-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
I am not sure why you think the scheme is going to change. Playcalling tendencies may change some, but the scheme will remain.
By a change in scheme I mean Rivera will probably be utilizing more man-to-man defense and more blitzes than his predecessor.

Don't know if it is technically correct to call this a change in scheme. Maybe it is more correct to call it a change in playcalling tendencies.

Anyhow, that is what I meant by "a change in scheme."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »