Home

Who is the BEST WR in the league right now?

This is a discussion on Who is the BEST WR in the league right now? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #41
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73
Re: Who is the BEST WR in the league right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
We are talking about sports, which is very much stat driven, no surgeons. By your logic, even if he did not have a catch all season just because he has the ability makes him the best, I disagree. Randy Moss was barely mentioned in this thread, why, because he has not put up the stats this year without Brady, but no doubt in my mind he is still one of the most talented wide receivers in the league, just in a bad circumstance right now. Most of the receivers mentioned in this thread are leading the league in recieving stats. The thing is Calvin is putting up stats without much of a team behind him, imagine the STATS he would put up in a better offense. I'm not downing him I'm praising him.
I guess people can have their own definitions for words, but it doesnt make much sense that someone can be the best one year and then not even be considered the next year despite being the same person with the same ability. Would Moss become any better a player if Brady came back next week? No, but his numbers would pick up. Basically, I see "best" as the receiver who would put up the best stats if each was in the exact same situation (kind of like what you hinted at with CJ).

Another question. Say Albert Pujols joined a random high school baseball team, but the manager's son plays first base so Albert never sees any ABs. Does this make Pujols less good at baseball than the rest of the team, or is he still the best player? After all, he isn't putting up numbers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think Steve Smith is the best in the NFL, followed by Randy Moss and then a 3 way tie between Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitz. I would put Brandon Marshall in after that. The plays that Steve Smith makes are just rediculous. Him and Andre are usually in the top 3 as far as fantasy goes every week and Smith usually has one of the best plays every single week. Great hands and an amazing ability to make things happen after the catch.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #43
All Star

Gibbz's Arena

OVR: 24

Fitz, Moss, T.O., Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgojackets
I guess people can have their own definitions for words, but it doesnt make much sense that someone can be the best one year and then not even be considered the next year despite being the same person with the same ability. Would Moss become any better a player if Brady came back next week? No, but his numbers would pick up. Basically, I see "best" as the receiver who would put up the best stats if each was in the exact same situation (kind of like what you hinted at with CJ).

Another question. Say Albert Pujols joined a random high school baseball team, but the manager's son plays first base so Albert never sees any ABs. Does this make Pujols less good at baseball than the rest of the team, or is he still the best player? After all, he isn't putting up numbers.
I guess I'm looking at the context of the question, "who is the best receiver right now". Right now would imply who is doing the best at this point and time, which to me means stat wise. But we are splitting hairs, I think we can both agree the CJ is a beast and would be phenomenal on a better team. As far as Albert Pujols, if he never gets a chance to play how could you possible say he's the best, despite the circumstance for him not playing, if he does not play he cannot be considered the best. It does not make him less of a ball player but he would not be in any discussions of "who is the best player right now".
Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #45
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Randy Moss, T.O, Ocho Cinco, Anquan Boldin should really not be mentioned if we're talking about best WR RIGHT NOW(As of Week 9 2008 NFL Season)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #46
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
I guess I'm looking at the context of the question, "who is the best receiver right now". Right now would imply who is doing the best at this point and time, which to me means stat wise. But we are splitting hairs, I think we can both agree the CJ is a beast and would be phenomenal on a better team. As far as Albert Pujols, if he never gets a chance to play how could you possible say he's the best, despite the circumstance for him not playing, if he does not play he cannot be considered the best. It does not make him less of a ball player but he would not be in any discussions of "who is the best player right now".
The thing is that its obvious who the best is statwise. All of us can go to nfl.com and see who has the most yards per game or go to football outsiders and rank WRs by dyar. If I had to pick two WRs to start for me next sunday though, I'd take Moss and Boldin over White and Marshall. Just like I would rather have Pujols start in my lineup instead of the manager's kid. imo the best player is the one I want playing for my team the most.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #47
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

Greg Jennings. I love watching him play.
Anquan Boldin is really good too, he should definately be in the top 5, #85.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #48
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Randy Moss, Steve Smith

everybody else
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »