Home

Donovan McNabb / Ties in the NFL?

This is a discussion on Donovan McNabb / Ties in the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Donovan McNabb / Ties in the NFL?

When I see professional athletes not know basic 101 in their sport, it reminds me more of how they are like us. I think there is no excuse for McNabb & the Eagles not to know about OT. But sometimes the game for them is really a job. Not every player is in the game because he loves it. Its because he's got the knack for it & circumstances drove him to the sport. Some guys practice & play, then watch their alma mater, play Madden, have 20 fantasy teams etc. Others, the only time they think football is when they punch the clock.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
When I see professional athletes not know basic 101 in their sport, it reminds me more of how they are like us. I think there is no excuse for McNabb & the Eagles not to know about OT. But sometimes the game for them is really a job. Not every player is in the game because he loves it. Its because he's got the knack for it & circumstances drove him to the sport. Some guys practice & play, then watch their alma mater, play Madden, have 20 fantasy teams etc. Others, the only time they think football is when they punch the clock.
Yeah, like Dhani Jones. He just doesn't seem like the type to think much about football after the day is done.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #11
Rookie

shark17's Arena

OVR: 10

Although McNabb looks stupid, how bad can you come down on him when most of the defenses he plays against constantly and shockingly forget the roughing the passer call every damn week.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 18

This is not serious can we move on.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 19

it not part of their job to know every rule.. this happened to me this season we tied it at the end of the game and I thought we had OT but apperently our league only does OT in the playoffs
Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark17
Although McNabb looks stupid, how bad can you come down on him when most of the defenses he plays against constantly and shockingly forget the roughing the passer call every damn week.
I don't think McNabb looks stupid even. I think he just looks more oblivious to the result than anything.

It is a funny situation and this isn't to excuse Donovan, but perhaps Donovan is just so focused on the next possession he wasn't thinking about looking at the clock.

Interestingly, one of Donovan's reasons he expected to go into another overtime was that "college football has multiple overtimes" in the regular season.

Donovan's college career started when endless overtime extra innings were added to college football, so in some ways that's all he knows.

But it just goes to show that things change, (like college football multiple overtimes) and standards change.

It's been so long since a tie occurred that it seems he truly didn't expect it. I hope the NFL overtime stays the way it is. It is so much fairer than college OT with the possibility of a tie after a timed 4th quarter-like period...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

OVR: 46

Apparently, watching ESPN last night, there were others on the team that didn't know the rule either...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles16
Apparently, watching ESPN last night, there were others on the team that didn't know the rule either...
If you think about this, it's kinda ridiculous.

And it's funny how you are referring to a tie game as a "rule".

Ties were always just a natural part of the game, especially in previous decades.

The greatest college football game of all time was the army notre dame 0-0 tie.

I think our society has gotten so "win-crazy" that they abandon things like ties to a point where people forget they actually exist.

I think a college football playoff would work better if draws were re-instituted into the regular season.

With the overtime in college, you end up with a lot of teams with 1 loss, and overtime wins are treated the same as regulation wins in college football.

I would love to see an overtime like the NFL, but I think in college football you only actually need the overtime period in the playoffs. besides college networks seem to be having problems with games running long anyways, causing them to run the clock on out of bounds plays. They could revert those changes as well as the old 25 second clock, and only have an overtime with 4th quarter rules in the playoffs / conference championship games...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »