Home

Redskins vs Ravens to be "flexed".

This is a discussion on Redskins vs Ravens to be "flexed". within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #49
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Redskins vs Ravens to be "flexed".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
To add to what wwharton said, many of us DC area folks consider Baltimorians bamas, LOL.
right back atcha, Buddy. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
Nah, again:

1) Historical rivalry with fans that actually hate each other, not something cooked up to sound like a rivalry.
2) Fins go from a 1 win team to a playoff contender in one season (With a rookie coach, like you said for the others, and with a franchise that has been in the dumper for a while now because of Saban etc.) after losing their star player who was basically the franchise.
3) Bills are a contender again.
4) They're in Toronto for their first regular season matchup. Big news.

And I'm not really seeing the "players" aspect. You have Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, McGahee (who has shown he isn't even a quality starter), Portis, and Cooley playing in this game. In Buf / Mia you have Marshawn Lynch, Lee Evans, Ronnie Brown (and the wildcat formation), Chad Pennington, Joey Porter, etc. Comparison is there, and neither team really comes out ahead.

And the like watching paint dry comment probably comes from watching every other AFC North snoozefest that is on tv. I am lucky enough to live in MI which means that for CBS games I always get Cincy / Cle vs Baltimore
The teams have been so bad recently that you think this is huge that they're even in contention... with some luck (important part there) they may sneak into the playoffs. As of today they're tied for last place in their division. Check out any power ranking and see where these teams are... it's just not even close, sorry. I'm not trying to just hate on your team (or the dolphins) but you really don't have much to go with here.

Take the list of former defensive player of the year, superbowl MVP and future HOFer Ray Lewis and former defensive player of the year Ed Reed and Clinton Portis (we'll even take McGahee, Cooley, Moss and Suggs out of it) and see if there's more appeal there than for Pennington, Lynch, Evans and Brown. You gotta go further than people that follow the AFC East. If you didn't notice, Miami hasn't been all that successful with the wild cat recently. In fact, Baltimore put a real QB back there and ran it all over them.

And Skins fans and Ravens fans most definitely hate each other for many more reasons than two teams in the same conference. You just don't want to see it, but I'd love to see you get some support for your argument b/c it's not even close to me. Wish this thread was a poll (but even SPTO seems to be backing off a bit).

You can't blame the Ravens for how bad Cincy and Cleveland have been this year, lol.

Last edited by wwharton; 11-26-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #50
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
There have been 2 Baltimore fans giving a LOT more reason that this game should be shown than Miami/Buffalo and one Packers fan vs... pretty much you. SPTO gave a reasonable argument that I just disagree with. As for Cleveland, they were expected to be a good team this year which is why they got those games. The flex schedule is to put in the "surprise" teams, as you said. Funny that two 6-5 teams on the outside looking in are surprise teams to you but two 7-4 teams both with rookie head coaches (and one with a rookie QB) that many expected to finish last in their divisions aren't considered surprise teams. That is why you're being a homer. Your only argument is that they've been playing since the 60's, lol.

You're not really an outsider if you generally watch the Bills but I can answer your question. None of us have really said this is the matchup of the year. Things didn't heat up until Muggins basically said BUF/MIA is by far the more logical matchup for that week. If you want to argue other matchups, that's fine. I've seen at least 2 that I think would make sense, I just don't think BUF/MIA does over BAL/WAS.

So, in comparing the 2 matchups, the BAL/WAS matchup has 2 teams that have been better over the last decade (and have gotten more national exposure b/c of it meaning they're likely more familiar to the rest of the country than BUF/MIA). Both teams have more individual players that stand out to those who aren't just fans of either team. They've also both been better so far this year, including Baltimore winning the only head to head matchup between any of the teams we're talking about. Muggins called Baltimore an expansion team, even though they have a SB victory, more playoff appearances and more 10 win seasons than either BUF/MIA over the last decade (which is considered a long time to some people).

All of these reasons and not even a mention of the "rivalry" you're asking about, and the only counter argument is that Buffalo has been playing Miami since the 60's? Or if BUF or MIA keeps winning and other teams lose a game here or there, they MAY make the playoffs? Washington controls its own destiny in terms of the playoffs, while Baltimore controls its own destiny to not only a wild card spot but winning its division.

Muggins talked about the game being like watching paint dry, lol. Baltimore has averaged over 30 pts the last 5 games. The matchup is between 2 top 5 defenses. Washington has arguably the best RB in the league this year and Baltimore has arguably the best run defense. I'm just not hearing how BUF/MIA even comes close to a better matchup.

As for the regional rivalry, I said it before, it's like the Giants playing the Jets. Baltimore and DC are very close so there will be a ton of Skins fans at the game. They're so close that there are a ton of Skins fans in Baltimore and vice versa. Radio stations have an unwritten rule to not even report anything besides big news on the other team around here. You're a traitor if you even slightly support both teams. And it goes beyond football. If the baseball teams were any good it'd be the same there. As PPM mentioned, it's music too. It's hair style, clothes, how you talk, etc. Bragging rights over this game is huge in the Baltimore/DC area and that energy will show through the TV during this game... but as I mentioned, that's just one small factor for why BUF/MIA shouldn't be considered an alternative.
I am an outsider. My fav. team is the Colts, and then comes Jacksonville - I also (for some strange reason) pull for the raiders, and usually every season there are a few teams that pull me in - for example this year I'm finding Denver games very compelling, earlier I was watching philli, but am losing interest in them - the bills is neutral. I've been to a few games because of my location, but I'm not a bills fan, and kind of feel guilty about that lol.

The rivalry you mentioned sounds cool (i didn't really know they were that close geographically - i've been to ocean city maryland which is near baltimore and had no idea DC was as close as it is) BUT, I think the toronto factor is a bigger deal than that since it is more interesting to those outside there area imo --- granted you said it was a small factor.

I'll just take your word for it, because I don't follow all 4 teams very closely, in fact I probably see baltimore the most since I like watching the colts play them. Reading the thread though, the local rivalry has way more emphasis than it should (as far as it being a solid reason for the priime time broadcast).

I LOVE FOOTBALL!! lol
hope it's a good game
Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #51
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Nah, again:

1) Historical rivalry with fans that actually hate each other, not something cooked up to sound like a rivalry.
2) Fins go from a 1 win team to a playoff contender in one season (With a rookie coach, like you said for the others, and with a franchise that has been in the dumper for a while now because of Saban etc.) after losing their star player who was basically the franchise.
3) Bills are a contender again.
4) They're in Toronto for their first regular season matchup. Big news.

And I'm not really seeing the "players" aspect. You have Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, McGahee (who has shown he isn't even a quality starter), Portis, and Cooley playing in this game. In Buf / Mia you have Marshawn Lynch, Lee Evans, Ronnie Brown (and the wildcat formation), Chad Pennington, Joey Porter, etc. Comparison is there, and neither team really comes out ahead.

And the like watching paint dry comment probably comes from watching every other AFC North snoozefest that is on tv. I am lucky enough to live in MI which means that for CBS games I always get Cincy / Cle vs Baltimore
(Just to clarify with folks, I'm not siding with one side against the other, I'm just presenting arguments/points for both sides)

Ok, to comment on this:
1. The difference is that ya'll meet TWICE a year(regardless of record, location of game, etc) whereas these two teams(BAL/WSH)meet once every 4 years so I can kind've see where wwharton is coming from. Hell, for the first time in a LONG TIME, NFL is almost the ONLY thing that matters in this area just for the fact that BOTH teams are in the playoff hunt. And if BOTH teams make the playoffs at the same time, it's gonna even MORE crazy.

2. Good point but you also gotta take into consideration that BOTH of these 2 teams weren't projected to be THIS good this LATE into the season, especially with 2 coaches who nobody expected would get head coaching gigs whereas Sparano was a guy a few teams were sought after for a while.

3. Ya'll just won ya'll first game in almost a month so I wouldn't QUITE rank ya'll as a contender just yet.

4. Can't argue that because I really don't know the significance of this whereas when they announced games would be played in London, tickets were gone quick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #52
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I am an outsider. My fav. team is the Colts, and then comes Jacksonville - I also (for some strange reason) pull for the raiders, and usually every season there are a few teams that pull me in - for example this year I'm finding Denver games very compelling, earlier I was watching philli, but am losing interest in them - the bills is neutral. I've been to a few games because of my location, but I'm not a bills fan, and kind of feel guilty about that lol.

The rivalry you mentioned sounds cool (i didn't really know they were that close geographically - i've been to ocean city maryland which is near baltimore and had no idea DC was as close as it is) BUT, I think the toronto factor is a bigger deal than that since it is more interesting to those outside there area imo --- granted you said it was a small factor.

I'll just take your word for it, because I don't follow all 4 teams very closely, in fact I probably see baltimore the most since I like watching the colts play them. Reading the thread though, the local rivalry has way more emphasis than it should (as far as it being a solid reason for the priime time broadcast).

I LOVE FOOTBALL!! lol
hope it's a good game
I meant you weren't neutral because you're in the area. All of your local news, radio, etc. is about the Bills so you're in the AFC East environment which naturally makes all of those games seem more appealing. Not saying that significantly either, but enough that you understand that world more than other non-reported rivalry.

BTW, I don't think the rivalry is big enough reason to be moved to primetime at all... that's why it wasn't there originally. But it is a big rivalry and I'm glad that will make it even bigger. Just generally speaking I think it's a better choice for the primetime spot. If you've watched Ravens/Colts in Baltimore, you've seen how it is when the crowd is really into it (not so much in Indy)... this is going to be 10 times that.

Ocean City is actually a good 3 hours from Baltimore. DC is closer to 30 minutes. Lots of people commute both ways (including me).
Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #53
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
right back atcha, Buddy. lol

The teams have been so bad recently that you think this is huge that they're even in contention... with some luck (important part there) they may sneak into the playoffs. As of today they're tied for last place in their division. Check out any power ranking and see where these teams are... it's just not even close, sorry. I'm not trying to just hate on your team (or the dolphins) but you really don't have much to go with here.

Take the list of former defensive player of the year, superbowl MVP and future HOFer Ray Lewis and former defensive player of the year Ed Reed and Clinton Portis (we'll even take McGahee, Cooley, Moss and Suggs out of it) and see if there's more appeal there than for Pennington, Lynch, Evans and Brown. You gotta go further than people that follow the AFC East. If you didn't notice, Miami hasn't been all that successful with the wild cat recently. In fact, Baltimore put a real QB back there and ran it all over them.

And Skins fans and Ravens fans most definitely hate each other for many more reasons than two teams in the same conference. You just don't want to see it, but I'd love to see you get some support for your argument b/c it's not even close to me. Wish this thread was a poll (but even SPTO seems to be backing off a bit).

You can't blame the Ravens for how bad Cincy and Cleveland have been this year, lol.
Heh, tied for last in the division in the AFC East isn't the same as being tied for last in the AFC Pitt / Baltimore. There aren't any doormats in the AFC East this year.

And 'lucky'? Baltimore is just BARELY in the playoffs right now as you keep harping on. Homer? They're in the playoffs (if they took place today) because they've won one more game in the conference than the Patriots. Gimme a break.

I understand you don't see it. You're a Ravens fan. Makes sense that you don't see it. You want to watch the Ravens. You're familiar with their team and their players, much more so than anyone else in the country.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS

Last edited by muggins; 11-27-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Heh, tied for last in the division in the AFC East isn't the same as being tied for last in the AFC indy / Baltimore. There aren't any doormats in the AFC East this year.

And 'lucky'? Baltimore is just BARELY in the playoffs right now as you keep harping on. Homer? They're in the playoffs (if they took place today) because they've won one more game in the conference than the Patriots. Gimme a break.

I understand you don't see it. You're a Ravens fan. Makes sense that you don't see it. You want to watch the Ravens. You're familiar with their team and their players, much more so than anyone else in the country.
Dude, just give it a rest already. You seem like one of those posters who always has to have the last word and will keep on arguing for 50 pages in order to to maintain your ego. At this point lets just cite irreconcilable differences, treat it like a divorce, and turn this thread into something other than a whine fest. The NFL felt the Ravens/Skins game was more relevant than the Bills/Dolphins on December the 7th, no amount of arguing is going to change that. On a different note, does anyone have tickets to this game? I ask because I know these and the Eagles tickets are some of the hardest to obtain in the history of Ravens football.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #55
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I've got tix and man I say let the damn bills have primeime. I was at the Steelers/Cowgirls games this year. Night games are a hassel. I got drunk had to sit in the parking lot till around 2 am both. I live in MD but not that close to FedEx. Then had to be at work the next day. The same thing is gonna happen. No disrespect to wwharton and I'm sure he feels the same way about skins fans, but Ravens fans drive me to drink. I was at the scrimage 3 years ago or so. 30,000 people and I was miserable. Damn that dundalkaneese garbage. I know that skins fans are the same. This isn't gonna be good in the stands. I heard there were crazy fights at the eagles game. Plus now you are giving all these jackasses(both sides) a whole day to get drunk. Word is they cut alcohol sales at halftime of the eagles game. I could see the same thing happening for this game too. THen there is the downtown parking. Crazyness. Oh well. wwharton I assume you have tix as well. Have fun I will as best I can.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #56
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
Dude, just give it a rest already. You seem like one of those posters who always has to have the last word and will keep on arguing for 50 pages in order to to maintain your ego.
Nah, the board was dead today and I was bored People like to take their opinion as fact and I just like to challenge that.

Quote:
At this point lets just cite irreconcilable differences
I'm fine with that, even though I wasn't whining, thanks for that big guy.

Bills officials actually don't usually like having night games... the fans get too drunk. I was at the Bills / Jets game a few weeks ago and damn I can believe it. One dude was so drunk (at 1 pm) that he fell down the stairs in the upper deck and mashed his face against the part where the stairs go over the tunnel. Awesome

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »