Home

DMN Blog: DeMarcus Ware '08 vs. Michael Strahan '01

This is a discussion on DMN Blog: DeMarcus Ware '08 vs. Michael Strahan '01 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 55
Re: DMN Blog: DeMarcus Ware '08 vs. Michael Strahan '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Based on THIS year:
Ed Reed, who might probably be the best defensive player of this decade.
Troy Polomalu
I could say James Harrison but won't simply because him and Ware play in 2 different types of 3-4 Defense and therefore are asked to do certain things different than each other.

So yea...He's def Top 3-4 this year.
I personally value defensive linemen higher than I do defensive backs and you could basically consider a 3-4 OLB a defensive end.

In any case, when evaluating defensive backs, I would take a shut down corner like Nnamdi Asomugha over any safety in the league.

My top five defensive players:

1- Albert Haynesworth
2- DeMarcus Ware
3- Nnamdi Asomugha
4- Mario Williams
5- Ed Reed
Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #18
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Is it really fair to ask this question? Merriman could very well have been playing just as well as Ware is this year had he not gotten hurt, and coming out of last season I would have said Merriman was a slightly more complete player than Ware was at that point.
Don't get the Cowpoke homers started.

They're the same ones that will say the only reason any QB has had a better season than Romo up to now is because he was injured.

I think Merriman's value has been shown ten-fold over this season based on the Chargers pathetic defense this year.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #19
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
Don't get the Cowpoke homers started.

They're the same ones that will say the only reason any QB has had a better season than Romo up to now is because he was injured.

I think Merriman's value has been shown ten-fold over this season based on the Chargers pathetic defense this year.
Exactly. Both are great players, which is what some of us have been saying all the time. It is true though, that certain people gave us **** for saying Ware is better.

It's unfair though to bring it up again right now, have to see them down the line. Merriman didn't play well when he was in, the short time he was, but obviously his knee played a major role there. When healthy, he is a beast.

EDIT: BTW, that is the only reason any other QB has better numbers.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
Exactly. Both are great players, which is what some of us have been saying all the time. It is true though, that certain people gave us **** for saying Ware is better.

It's unfair though to bring it up again right now, have to see them down the line. Merriman didn't play well when he was in, the short time he was, but obviously his knee played a major role there. When healthy, he is a beast.

EDIT: BTW, that is the only reason any other QB has better numbers.
Agreed.

And I know the world is believed to revolve around that big blue star, but I think most Chargers fan's take most pride in the trade that actually brought Merriman to the team rather than measuring him up against Ware.

On topic....I think he has a legit shot at getting the sack record and I'd like to see him do it. Anything would be better than Strahan holding the record with his phantom sack against Favre.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #21
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
Agreed.

And I know the world is believed to revolve around that big blue star, but I think most Chargers fan's take most pride in the trade that actually brought Merriman to the team rather than measuring him up against Ware.

On topic....I think he has a legit shot at getting the sack record and I'd like to see him do it. Anything would be better than Strahan holding the record with his phantom sack against Favre.
I really didn't think anyone would get close to that record. Merriman would have obviously come close had he not been suspended those 4 games that one year.

I don't think he gets it, he'll have a good shot if he gets 2 this week.

The team, itself, has been on a tear lately in the sacks department. This kind of pass rush can carry us, if it stays consistent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #22
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Ware's got a shot at this record because of Dallas' topsy turvy season.

If the Philly and Baltimore games didn't have so much significance, he'd be resting on the sidelines.

Losing to the Rams and giving away the Pittsburgh game might lead to the record.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

It's tough to say which season was more dominant. Judging by those numbers alone, it looks like Ware has the more consistent ability of getting to the QB (having a sack in all but 1 game... full sacks, too). But Strahan looks like he had the ability to break out and have incredible games (7 multi sack games, which includes 1.5 sack games). I guess it's a toss up; do you want the guy who will consistently pressure and bring down the QB or someone who might not get to him for a game then come back with 2 or 3 sacks the next game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
It's tough to say which season was more dominant. Judging by those numbers alone, it looks like Ware has the more consistent ability of getting to the QB (having a sack in all but 1 game... full sacks, too). But Strahan looks like he had the ability to break out and have incredible games (7 multi sack games, which includes 1.5 sack games). I guess it's a toss up; do you want the guy who will consistently pressure and bring down the QB or someone who might not get to him for a game then come back with 2 or 3 sacks the next game?
Ware has brought pressure every game. He's hit the quarterback as he was releasing the ball 100 times it seems, and he's getting double-teamed a lot.

Because Spencer, Ratliff, Ellis, and James are getting more pressure lately, it's freeing up Ware more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »