Home

Worst coaching job down the stretch

This is a discussion on Worst coaching job down the stretch within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Worst coaching job down the stretch
Eric Mangini 11 17.46%
Dick Jauron 3 4.76%
Mike Shanahan 5 7.94%
Wade Phillips 21 33.33%
Jim Zorn 6 9.52%
Jon Gruden 17 26.98%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Worst coaching job down the stretch

Hard to say. Tampa's fall was all on their defense. Once Kiffin called it, their defense packed it in.

It's sorta hard to say Phillips because the team turned around when Romo came back, then they ran into Pitt and got beat. But they bounced back against the Giants. The defense was playing very well. But then they got hammered at the end of the Ravens game with two long runs and that might have broken their backs, especially when the offense also fell apart in the same game. In Dallas do we say Wade did the worse coaching job or offensive coordinator Jason Garrett? Garrett is in charge of an offense that is stacked and failed to score enough points against both Baltimore and Philly.

Mangini - I'm not sure. The games they lost Brett went into his slinger mode and when that happens you cannot control the results. Sometimes it is great and at other times it is, ohhhhhhhhh MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna go with Jim Zorn. The Skins were hot and then they hit a wall and never recovered. Hell they lost to the Bengals. The Bengals, who at that point had only won 1 game. The Skins still had an opportunity to make the post season with help at that point. But they just imploded and had been on a downward spiral since they lost the Sunday night game to the Cowboys.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #34
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

OVR: 37

I went with Phillips. His team was supposed to win the Super Bowl and they didn't even make the playoffs. Dallas choked and it starts with a laid back coach that can't handle his superstars.
NCAA:Michigan Wolverines.
F-1: Ferrari.

It's been a while OS. Hope all are doing well!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #35
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I'll say other as a homer pick and take Mike McCarthy.

The Packers were flying high after pounding the Bears and one game over .500 positioned to win the division.

They lost 5 of the last 6 and almost lost to the Lions. The defense and special teams played lousy and the Packers weren't able to overcome losing by 4 pts or less in some of those games.

6-10 is big time underachieving coming off 13-3 last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #36
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'll say other as a homer pick and take Mike McCarthy.

The Packers were flying high after pounding the Bears and one game over .500 positioned to win the division.

They lost 5 of the last 6 and almost lost to the Lions. The defense and special teams played lousy and the Packers weren't able to overcome losing by 4 pts or less in some of those games.

6-10 is big time underachieving coming off 13-3 last year.
I nearly put McCarthy on the list. The reason I kept him off was because they were only 5-5 when they fell off the cliff. So it might have been a stretch to say they blew a playoff spot, despite the NFC North being immersed in mediocrity.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #37
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
I nearly put McCarthy on the list. The reason I kept him off was because they were only 5-5 when they fell off the cliff. So it might have been a stretch to say they blew a playoff spot, despite the NFC North being immersed in mediocrity.
I understand and good point.

They were only one game off the lead though, when they fell off that cliff.

No way anyone from the North was going via WC.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #38
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Philips gets my vote. The Cowboys were supposed to at least go to the NFC Championship game but lo and behold they choked their way down the stretch. I've seen Philips do this countless times as head coach of the Broncos and Bills. The guy is just too laid back to lay down the law and show who's boss. It doesn't help that every key player on that team are a bunch of prima dona overly paid toys. The Cowboys main problem is that they are soft just like their head coach and there's no cohesiveness in the locker room.

Hopefully Jerry Jones understands that the Dan Snyder approach to building teams doesn't work. Football is not a sport where an all star team can win. (with the major exception being the '94 Niners) Last but not least this doesn't all go on Wade's shoulders a lot of the blame has to go to the "Golden Boy" Jason Garrett. I hope and pray that JJ sees the light and cans that fool because more often then not the Dallas Offensive playcalling was strange to say the least.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #39
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
I would vote for Romeo. The Browns didn't score an offensive TD in their last 6 games.
I might have to be with you on this one. They had other issues and then losing 3 QBs just makes it worse but Cincy fought hard through similar stuff. No offensive TD in the last 6 games is pretty brutal.

As for the others, I thought about Gruden but when the D stopped playing that puts more spotlight on the O that doesn't really have a big time WR and both big time RBs have been injured all year. Still, they were sitting pretty and then finished with a loss to Oakland, ugh.

Phillips gets a pass from me b/c of the teams they played down the stretch.

I didn't think the Jets or Bills would be all that different than they were so don't know if I'd jump all over the coaches... guess the Bills should've won 8 or 9 games but still not enough to make much of a difference in terms of playoffs... add Zorn to this list also. For the Bills and Skins especially, I think if you change around the order of when they played certain teams, they'd finish with the same record but with a different overall perception.

Last edited by wwharton; 12-29-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I might have to be with you on this one. They had other issues and then losing 3 QBs just makes it worse but Cincy fought hard through similar stuff. No offensive TD in the last 6 games is pretty brutal.

As for the others, I thought about Gruden but when the D stopped playing that puts more spotlight on the O that doesn't really have a big time WR and both big time RBs have been injured all year. Still, they were sitting pretty and then finished with a loss to Oakland, ugh.
Once Dorsey became the QB, the Browns weren't getting anywhere.

And Antonio Bryant had a fantastic year for the Bucs. 83 catches, 1248 yds, & 7 td's.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »