Home

The Official "Black Monday" Thread

This is a discussion on The Official "Black Monday" Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 35
Re: The Official "Black Monday" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
According to Randy Learner:

Phil Savage was fired on Saturday and Cowher turned the Browns down on Saturday.
Link?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Link?
WKNR. Sorry, no linkage yet.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Link?
Cowher tells Browns he's not interested; Pioli to be interviewed for GM position
by Mary Kay Cabot
Monday December 29, 2008, 10:39 AM

BEREA - Browns owner Randy Lerner said today that former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher told him he was not interested in joining the Browns.
Lerner met with the media this morning to announce that Romeo Crennel has been fired as head coach.

Speculation for his replacement had been centered on Cowher for several weeks, but Lerner said Monday that he met with Cowher on Saturday night and that Cowher said he would not return to coaching in 2009 and asked Lerner to take him off the Browns list of candidates.

Cowher told Lerner that he was comfortable with his lifestyle in North Carolina at this time.

Lerner said he's already asked for permission to talk to New England Patriots Executive Vice President Scott Pioli and that he'll focus on the general manager role next.

Lerner also said he's receiving permission to talk to another unnamed NFL exec. He appeared interested when informed that Eric Mangini had been fired by the New York Jets this morning. Mangini, a former Browns employee, worked with Pioli in New England.

Crennel, 61, was fired after going 24-40 in his four seasons at Browns head coach. He had three years left on his contract, which had been extended in January after he guided the Browns to a 10-6 record and just missed the playoffs.

But things fell apart this season, starting with injuries to several key players, including quarterback Derek Anderson and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, both Pro Bowl performers the previous season.

Midway through the season Crennel benched Anderson in favor of Brady Quinn, but the struggles continued, especially after Quinn suffered a broken finger that ended his season. Anderson returned and promptly suffered a season-ending knee injury. With Ken Dorsey and free agent Bruce Gradkowski at quarterback, the Browns failed to scored an offensive touchdown over the final six games, establishing an NFL record, and finished with 4-12, marking the fifth time in the past six years that they had at least 10 losses.

Throughout the season Browns players voiced their support of Crennel.

Crennel came to the Browns after several seasons as defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots under Bill Belichick. He has been part of five Super Bowl championships with the Patriots and New York Giants.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...es_not_in.html

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
All Star

Sigh...probably means yet another inexperienced head coach for the Browns.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Someone tell this moron to stop posting.
There goes that schizophrenia again.

Take your pills, man!!!
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Sigh...probably means yet another inexperienced head coach for the Browns.
3 1st year coaches are in the playoffs.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #23
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Personally I want to see Jauron out but i've heard that the Bills may be sticking with him. This came from Bills PBP man John Murphy yesterday morning on NFL Gameday. Things can change though.

I heard one very interesting rumor yesterday from Jay Glazer that the Chiefs are interested in bringing Schottenheimer back in a similar role that Parcells has in Miami. Then again, i've also heard Schottenheimer connected with the Jets.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
3 1st year coaches are in the playoffs.
I think that's a fluke and is not what is needed in Cleveland. Looking back at the Browns coaches in my lifetime, they were all first time NFL head coaches, and only Marty was successful. The lack of discipline on the team means that they require a head coach who's going to hold his players accountable, unlike the Big Brown Teddy Bear. They also need a coach who's going to hire an experienced and competent staff, unlike the one Romeo had.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »