Home

Owner vs GM: Jerry still doesn't get it

This is a discussion on Owner vs GM: Jerry still doesn't get it within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Owner vs GM: Jerry still doesn't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Nope, not at all.

I run a sales division. You know what I call my employees who go over my head? Unemployed. I fire every one of them on the spot.

When you go around who you answer to, unless it involves things of an illegal or unethical nature, you disrupt the organization as a whole, and accountability is lost.

If my boss allowed that sort of behavior, I'd quit. In fact, I've done just that, and my previous company is in shambles because they continue to allow that sort of behavior across all departments. My successor there quit, too.

You have to have the authority and control necessary to do your job. Otherwise, you're a powerless figurehead and nothing gets done or accomplished.

That's where the Cowboys are.
Then you and I have different philosophies. No boss should be upset someone goes over their head. That's silly. That's saying a supervisor is infallable. And no human being is such. The owner should support who he puts in charge. He shouldn't give ear to every little complaint. But employees shouldn't feel there is no recourse but to quit if they want input.

You'd quit if a company allowed someone to go above you? I wouldn't work for a company that didn't allow me any say.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Players should be able to go to their owner w/a complaint about work conditions. That's true in any buisness. Show me a boss w/out knowledge of what goes on in his company & I'll show you a boss doomed to failure.

Owners should always have an open door to their players. Coaches should always have an open door to their players. Players shouldn't expect all of their demands to be met.

Jimmy Johnson didn't run everything. He had a say in everything. But Jones always made a move if he thought it would work. And when you pay 9 figures for something, you've got that right.

Before Jones got to Dallas, the Cowboys were going nowhere. They had an iconic coach whom the game had passed by. & he wasn;t going anywhere until someone new came in & took charge. If it wasn't for Jones, the Cowboys might be in the state the Dolphins got into w/Shula.
I agree with that, and though I believe Jones is getting too involved in the spotlight, he is trying to win, and bringing in talent. This talent not functioning well as a team isn't JJ's fault, it's the coaching.

Yeah, Romo hasn't won the big game yet, but he is as good as most Quarterbacks out there (minus the Peyton's and Brees'); Owens has a big mouth but when he's there to play, he plays. Witten is the heart of this football team. Ware, future DPOY. Throw in three pretty good Running Backs, and you have more than enough building blocks to work towards a championship. But if the coach can't get them to play together? If the team keeps running screen passes on 3rd and 1 and the receivers keep running poor routes? What's the point of having all that talent?

Dallas' Offensive woes, in my opinion, are due to bad play calling. I don't know about you guys, but it seemed as though the Eagles knew exactly what was going to happen. Flawless coverage, perfect blitzes (and poor blocking), and we all know the result...

And though I was pretty bummed out by that hammering at the hands of the Eagles last night, I'm glad the team (coaches and players) will have a chance to look at themselves, and wonder what went wrong. I don't care what they do with Owens and Pacman. Trade them, do whatever. The last thing this team needs is constant media coverage.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Then you and I have different philosophies. No boss should be upset someone goes over their head. That's silly. That's saying a supervisor is infallable. And no human being is such. The owner should support who he puts in charge. He shouldn't give ear to every little complaint. But employees shouldn't feel there is no recourse but to quit if they want input.

You'd quit if a company allowed someone to go above you? I wouldn't work for a company that didn't allow me any say.
Well, that's the way successful businesses are run. I'm not talking about ideas and input, I'm talking about going over my head to complain about me or suggest another direction.

Keep in mind, the direction I'm pointed is almost always based on what my boss wants. That's my obligation to my boss.

And when you are in that position, as I'm sure you likely will be, you will understand.

People are constantly shooting for your job, so if you're company isn't supportive of you, then you can't do the job you were hired to do. Why did they choose you if they won't trust you to run it like you know how?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrulz101
I agree with that, and though I believe Jones is getting too involved in the spotlight, he is trying to win, and bringing in talent. This talent not functioning well as a team isn't JJ's fault, it's the coaching.
Coaches can't coach if they have no authority. Supervisors can't supervise if they have no authority.

If the big boss is always chumming it up with the worker bees, the managers might as well be talking to the walls.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I agree in principle with freelance/erod here. Jerry Jones is too much of a meddling owner who sees himself as some football guru when he really isn't. The two times he's had coaches who had authority things went well but the man gets too greedy and wants to have the spotlight to himself. I'm not even sure how JJ even had the idea he was some football guy in the first place?

Did Jimmy Johnson let him into personnel meetings and such when he was there?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Jerry is not the problem.

He's trying to win. You can't blame that flat performance on the owner wanting to be in the spotlight. It's his team, he can do whatever he wants. He's not calling the plays, but he does have a right to make a suggestion as to who should play.

Who wants an old fossil like Testaverde or a washed up Bledsoe to play when you have a possible Drew Henson on the sidelines? Did it work? No. But it doesnt hurt to try. Parcells wasnt sold on Romo either in case you're forgetting.....
Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Well, that's the way successful businesses are run. I'm not talking about ideas and input, I'm talking about going over my head to complain about me or suggest another direction.

Keep in mind, the direction I'm pointed is almost always based on what my boss wants. That's my obligation to my boss.

And when you are in that position, as I'm sure you likely will be, you will understand.

People are constantly shooting for your job, so if you're company isn't supportive of you, then you can't do the job you were hired to do. Why did they choose you if they won't trust you to run it like you know how?
I've been in that position. Like I said, I don't agree w/giving creedence to every gripe every employee has. No one is going to agree w/every decision. But I have worked w/supervisors who made ill-informed decisions & the disaster I warned about came to fruition. Then the blame is passed on to the workers trying to make a poorly conceived plan succeed.

You've got to have balance. I'm going to trust the people I put in charge to do the job. I'm not going to look over their shoulder or spy on them to make sure they are doing right. But I want all my employees to want the best for my company. And they can't feel that way if they don't have input. If they feel strongly enough that a better way is not implemented, I want them to feel free to come to me w/out fear of reprisal. Or else, you are just going to have people looking to get a paycheck & work w/absolutely no passion for my company's success. & that leads to failure & turnover. I've been in that position too.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 11

I don't know if I would put all of the blame on Jerry. I feel that Jones is a very good owner

Call me crazy but I still feel like the Cowboys are a good team. I feel that they just have lots of dysfunction within that locker room.

And there doesn't seem to be any unity between the players and the coaching staff. It seemed like the players were blaming the coaching staff for their loss against Philly in the Media and that's something that only a dysfunctional team does.

I'm sorry but I think all the blame falls on the coaching staff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »