Home

So who do the Lions pick with the first pick in the 2009 Draft?

This is a discussion on So who do the Lions pick with the first pick in the 2009 Draft? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: So who do the Lions pick with the first pick in the 2009 Draft?

That he'll be a bad quarterback? I just don't think he'll pan out. His throwing mechanics need a lot of work in order for him to impress me, as does his arm strength. And he won't be able to do the things he does in college in the NFL, and once he proves me right, the people that drafted him will look like idiots. Alex Smith, any one? He came from the same type of offense, the same coach, and lets look at where his career has gone, shall we?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 32

They should choose Andre Smith. Yet, knowing the Lions, they'll probably choose Michael Crabtree.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eights
They should choose Andre Smith. Yet, knowing the Lions, they'll probably choose Michael Crabtree.
Astute observation.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

My question about the Lions. Are they one player away from being competitive? Short answer no. So my mind set would be trade down and acquire picks. THe problem is I've read that this is going to be a weak draft class. Obviously they want a QB. I'm of the mindset that Mark Sanchez will be there next year, he may be a quality prospect. He is at least at USC running a pro style offense against a defense that is loaded with NFL talent and coached by arguable the best coach in college football in Carroll. I'm no expert but I think the lions should trade down and get new people in there. Turn the roster over. Bring in Parcells and let him rebuild the team.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
I don't see Bradford leaving, nor do I see him as a #1 prospect.

1. Big Andre Smith
2. Big Jamarcus Rus...errr...Matthew Stafford
3. The rights to Tim Tebow
You know, I think the NFL would be well served to allow teams to draft the rights to players any year in college with one year to sign him.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

Having completely forgotten about that scenario, I'd like to change my choice and agree with N51.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
My question about the Lions. Are they one player away from being competitive? Short answer no. So my mind set would be trade down and acquire picks. THe problem is I've read that this is going to be a weak draft class. Obviously they want a QB. I'm of the mindset that Mark Sanchez will be there next year, he may be a quality prospect. He is at least at USC running a pro style offense against a defense that is loaded with NFL talent and coached by arguable the best coach in college football in Carroll. I'm no expert but I think the lions should trade down and get new people in there. Turn the roster over. Bring in Parcells and let him rebuild the team.
I believe the last time the 1st overall pick was traded was the Michael Vick trade.

The first pick won't be traded because teams adhere completely to the stupid little "DRAFT VALUE CHART!!!!!!" and rarely seem to take less than what that offers.

I think at this point the Lions drafting anything other than best player available (with a lean toward the lines) would be a waste of resources.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 62

Well I think it would need to depend on what sort of offer they could get for the pick. Perhaps if they could work out a similar deal to what the Chargers did when Michael Vick was the #1 pick (ending up with LT and Drew Brees), then it would make sense. But they do have Dallas' first rounder, so they already have 2 picks. If they think Andre Smith is a Jackie Slater type player who could anchor that line for over a decade at a Pro Bowl level then I think that is too hard to pass up.

None of the QBs have the can't miss factor Peyton Manning had and there is no guarantee that either perceived top pick QBs even come out. I don't see any definite game changing RBs in this years class. They have a #1 WR in Calvin Johson. I also don't see any players on Defense I'd build a franchise around. I think there are some future Pro Bowlers out there, but no one really worth #1 money. Honestly (as much as I question him being an All American), but the only franchise defensive player who could be out there would be Terrence Cody if they go with a 3-4 defense. Lets be honest, 360-70lb DT's are hard to come by and are the key to the defense, so really he's the only who would fit that mold.

So I think if it comes down to their scouting saying Andre Smith is the best OL to come out since Orlando Pace, then go for him. If not and some team offers an awesome option to trade down with, then take the old Dallas approach and build with numbers because this Draft has a lot of players who will be good NFL players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »