Home

Matt Ryan in a Landslide for AP Rook of the year

This is a discussion on Matt Ryan in a Landslide for AP Rook of the year within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 19
Re: Matt Ryan in a Landslide for AP Rook of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
IMO: When you look at expectations/numbers, I think Ryan is the clear winner. Quarterback is considered to the be not only the face of the franchise, but the leader of the team as well. Pretty much everyone knows the running back position is pretty interchangeable from year to year (sans stars like LT and AP). Therefore, I think as good of years as Slaton and Forte have, in my eyes as well as Flacco and Ryan played they should really be the only considered. Plus, they are QB's who lead their team to the playoffs while Slaton's and Forte's teams are sitting at home.

Nevertheless, look at the numbers:

Matt Ryan: 87.7 QB Rating, 17 Total TD's, 11 Int's, 3440 Passing Yards
Joe Flacco: 80.3 QB Rating, 16 Total TD's, 12 Int's, 2971 Passing Yards

Edge - Ryan

Against Playoff Teams:

Matt Ryan (3-2): 5 TD's, 2 Int's
Joe Flacco (2-5): 5 TD's, 9 Int's

Edge - Ryan

Plus, and this is strictly my opinion, every time I watched a Falcons game or saw highlights, Ryan was the guy making the crucial play in critical situations. Not taking anything away from Flacco, but the Ravens D were always the catalysts in making that play to secure the W.

Taking everything into account...better stats in a tougher division, better play against playoff teams, and making big plays down the stretch, its easy to vote for Ryan.
See post above yours about season stats (Flacco was statistically the best qb in the NFL for about half a season the latter end of the year). Flacco performed poorly early on (threw many ints) and that hurt his season stats and has since come together very well. You also should take into account the offensive weapons: runningbacks (Mcclain Mcgahee v Turner), wr's (Mason v White), etc. Having said that, I agree with you, but it is closer than people think.

Last edited by Adam Dayton; 12-30-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #58
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
See above post above yours about season stats (Flacco was stastically the best qb in the NFL for about half a season towards the end of the year). Flacco performed poorly early on and that hurt his season stats and has since come together very well. You also should take into account the offensive weapons: runningbacks (Mcclain Mcgahee v Turner), wr's (Mason v White), etc. Having said that, I agree with you, but it is closer than people think.
I agree. But the award is Rookie of the YEAR, not Rookie of the 2nd Half (not trying to be an *** lol).

I also think that Baltimore has a superior OL giving Flacco more time to step up in the pocket and deliver a solid throw. Ryan's line overachieved tremendously but from everything I saw his best throws were on the run.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
How do you know this? Do you have inside information? Sorry, but your "gut" means nothing. Because Flacco didn't get a vote? What motivation would they have for just rubber stamping an Atlanta Falcon as ROY? No logic.
I already said I didn't have proof. If you're going to debate w/me, at least do me the courtesy of reading what I post. I didn't say they had motivation. I didn't say they had conspired. I said it appears they were lazy & didn't bother to check. Sort of like you.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
I agree. But the award is Rookie of the YEAR, not Rookie of the 2nd Half (not trying to be an *** lol).

I also think that Baltimore has a superior OL giving Flacco more time to step up in the pocket and deliver a solid throw. Ryan's line overachieved tremendously but from everything I saw his best throws were on the run.
Fair enough, but Atlanta had Turner who was arguably the best RB in the NFC this year, but the Ravens run game has been pretty potent as well. As far as wr's I think the Falcons and Ravens have an equally talented bunch (with the slight nod going to Atlanta). I agree it is a season award, but you have to admit that statistic is impressive, and a qb improving that much is a good sign of things to come. I agree that Ryan should have won it, but I would have liked to see Flacco get at least a few votes.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #61
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
When you're finished being a smart alec, go back & show where I claim a media conspiracy. I said the voters just rubber stamped the selection.

Well lets see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn
But maybe they all, actually, thought that Ryan deserved it more than anyone else and voted that way? Everything in sports doesn't have to be a media conspiracy.
Quote:
Yep. And maybe the Jets ownership didn't just decide after Sunday's game to fire Mangini. But I doubt both.
Quote:
Keep assuming the best. I'm sure there was some obvious reason why the Sooners were voted higher than Texas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #62
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

Quote:
I already said I didn't have proof. If you're going to debate w/me, at least do me the courtesy of reading what I post. I didn't say they had motivation. I didn't say they had conspired. I said it appears they were lazy & didn't bother to check. Sort of like you.
Ah, I'm lazy but you're the guy making assumptions about how your "gut" tells you something is wrong with no proof, no facts, and no basis of argument. Gotcha.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #63
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

That contract was still pretty crazy.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Well lets see...
The only one who said anything about a conspiracy is you & longhorn. Not me. Fail.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »