Home

Will Lorenzo Neal be elected to the Hall of Fame?

This is a discussion on Will Lorenzo Neal be elected to the Hall of Fame? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Will Lorenzo Neal be elected to the Hall of Fame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
No.

Best blocking fullback (in an age where half the teams don't use fullbacks) is being pretty specific. The best backup fullback probably carries the same value in the league as an above average back up QB.

A hall of fame player to me is a player that, in his prime, would be a top 10-15 pick in a fantasy draft over the span of a few years and the MVP (or co-MVP in some situations) of his own team. I doubt Neal would be picked in the first 20 rounds, and at no point would he ever be considered a top 15 MVP on any of the teams he's been on (hence him playing for 7 franchises).

What does a fantasy draft have to do with anything?

Best blocking fullback should equal a top tier interior linemen. The power running doesn't work in their system without a blocking fullback. It takes alot more skill than most people think.

Emmit wouldn't have been as successful without Johnson and the same with the backs that Neal lead on lead draws and iso.

Last edited by grunt; 01-05-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
What does a fantasy draft have to do with anything?
It shows value of the player. If you're a top 10 player, you should be in the hall of fame. If your value is in the 300s, you shouldn't be.

Quote:
Best blocking fullback should equal a top tier interior linemen.
It shouldn't, and it doesn't.

Quote:
The power running doesn't work in their system without a blocking fullback
The running game works in many systems without Lorenzo Neal. His first 6 teams didn't seem to care too much about losing him.

Quote:
Emmit wouldn't have been as successful without Johnson and the same with the backs that Neal lead on lead draws and iso.
So every offensive lineman and fullback at the upper half of his position should be in the Hall of Fame? Theoretically, anyone meeting those qualifications' running back would not have been as successful without him.

Hall of Famers generally don't play for 7 teams in a career, especially during their primes.

Should Ricky Proehl be in the Hall for being one of, if not the best 3rd receiver in NFL history?

Last edited by Cebby; 01-05-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

The only way Neal gets in is if Sam Gash gets in and it'll be a cold day in Hell before that ever happens.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Rookie

shadymouse's Arena

OVR: 4

I think he should be in. When you talk about FB's he's the 1st if not 2nd guy you will usually mention, the other being Mike Alstott these guys really put FB's on the map.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

This is a no-brainer. Never seen a FB play the way this guy did. Being from Fresno I used to watch him at Fresno State and he was a BEAST then. If I had a say so he would be a first-timer. Peace!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

LOL @ fantasy drafts being used to assess HOF criteria.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
LOL @ fantasy drafts being used to assess HOF criteria.
Maybe I'm not clear.

When I say it, I don't mean it in fantasy football terms.

I mean like a real live version of Madden where each team picks one player to start a franchise. Then you pick a second player and on and on where age isn't a factor.

Take Peyton Manning for example. Who do you take over a prime Peyton Manning? I can see an argument for Brady, Pace, LDT, Ray Lewis, Moss, and Ed Reed. Where does Neal fall? Maybe if you're the Matt Millen of full backs, 150.

Which starter on your team right now would you trade for a prime Lorenzo Neal? For the Redskins, I'd go for Sellers and maybe whoever our tackle opposite Samuels is this week. Fullbacks are a luxury, especially ones that can't tote the rock.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Maybe I'm not clear.

When I say it, I don't mean it in fantasy football terms.

I mean like a real live version of Madden where each team picks one player to start a franchise. Then you pick a second player and on and on where age isn't a factor.

Take Peyton Manning for example. Who do you take over a prime Peyton Manning? I can see an argument for Brady, Pace, LDT, Ray Lewis, Moss, and Ed Reed. Where does Neal fall? Maybe if you're the Matt Millen of full backs, 150.

Which starter on your team right now would you trade for a prime Lorenzo Neal? For the Redskins, I'd go for Sellers and maybe whoever our tackle opposite Samuels is this week. Fullbacks are a luxury, especially ones that can't tote the rock.
Your argument is a bit skewed because you count all players as representing the same position.

Sure your rationale can be used if you are deciding to pick either Art Monk or Cris Carter, but I can't see it when deciding between Walter Payton and Jerry Rice.

It apples and oranges.

If you are the GM of a team that primarily runs the ball and uses the I formation and other two back sets then what other FB would you want blocking for you if not Lorenzo Neal?

I'm not making the case for Neal, rather just trying to make a realistic comparison.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »